• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Lycanroc GX

asdjklghty

-------------
So I've decided to comeback to the game via the new wolf. I'm writing out 2 drafts for the deck. One that features Eeveelutions and one very defensive one. I'm leaning to the latter for these reasons: it has more guarantees your Wolf will get out by turn 2 because you can discard energy before attacking and secondly it has more long game utility. So here's my first pre-test draft

Pokemon (14):

• 4-4 Lycanroc GX
  • 2 Orangaru
  • 1-1-2 Carbink BREAK

Trainers (35):
  • 4 N
  • 3 Sycamore
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 2 Hex Maniac
  • 2 Team Skull Grunt
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 2 Nest Ball
  • 1 Level Ball
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 3 Trainers' Mail
  • 4 Crushing Hammer
  • 1 Enhanced Hammer
  • 2 Weakness Policy
  • 1 Float Stone
  • 2 Scorched Earth

Energy (10):
  • 6 Fighting
  • 4 Strong

Card Explanations:

4-4 line
I want consistency and long game

Orangaru: I'm deciding between a split between Shaymin or Orangaru. I don't know how useful Shaymin is considering I'll need at least 2 turns before attacking.

2 Hex Maniac: Yes I feel 1 copy isn't enough with the Grass Arrow sniping around

2 Weakness Policy: ^

Scorched Earth: I honestly don't know what Stadium to put here. Scorched earth might work well with Orangaru but I honestly don't know. Delinquent? Paint Roller?

I really don't know what else I can think of. Any suggestions?

EDIT: I also want to say I'm not looking for that aggressive of a deck. I want a more defensive all-round/meta deck.

2 Hex Maniac: Yes I feel 1 copy isn't enough with the Grass Arrow sniping around

Considering you're running VS Seeker 2 Hex seems overkill.

Maybe? IDK I just look at these anti-Super Effective measures and then think "yeah, but then you end your turn and they can just get rid of it". Right now you're pretty safe, but when Field Blower comes along in two weeks...I think you're better off having a non-weak attacker like Tauros GX that makes them scared to put up counters on it. Also I'd leave space for at least one GR Lycanroc GX Midnight Forme.

Running and testing this deck right now and it's really strong with Energy Disruption. Here's how I run it

Pokemon= 15
4-3/1 Lycanroc GX, adding 1 midnight when it comes out
3-2 Carbink Break (The non Safeguard Carbink only protects basic energy on basic Pokemon and there are few basic attackers in deck)
1 Regirock EX
1 Zygarde EX

Supporters= 11
2 Sycamore
2 Bridgette
2 Kukui
2 N
1 Steven
1 Lysandre
1 Hex Maniac

Items= 24
4 Crushing Hammer
2 Enhanced Hammer
3 Choice Band
1 Bursting Balloon (Helps with a lot of math)
2 Float Stone
2 Weakness Policy
3 Ultra Ball
1 Professor's Letter
1 Escape Rope
3 Vs Seeker
2 Trainers Mail

Energy= 10
4 Strong Energy
6 Fighting Energy

Playing this against Decideuye/Plume is just an L without Weakness Policy. If that deck falls off in popularity or if you are just a risk taker drop the 2 Weakness Policy. Consider dropping your ability Pokemon and putting in 2-2 Garbodor line and another Hex Maniac for that style of play. Finding room for field blower and eco arm would be nice too. Take liberties on the item line, the suggestions I most wanted to make to you is the Pokemon line. I will be testing this more heavily soon. Good luck!!

Running and testing this deck right now and it's really strong with Energy Disruption. Here's how I run it

Pokemon= 15
4-3/1 Lycanroc GX, adding 1 midnight when it comes out
3-2 Carbink Break (The non Safeguard Carbink only protects basic energy on basic Pokemon and there are few basic attackers in deck)
1 Regirock EX
1 Zygarde EX

Supporters= 11
2 Sycamore
2 Bridgette
2 Kukui
2 N
1 Steven
1 Lysandre
1 Hex Maniac

Items= 24
4 Crushing Hammer
2 Enhanced Hammer
3 Choice Band
1 Bursting Balloon (Helps with a lot of math)
2 Float Stone
2 Weakness Policy
3 Ultra Ball
1 Professor's Letter
1 Escape Rope
3 Vs Seeker
2 Trainers Mail

Energy= 10
4 Strong Energy
6 Fighting Energy

Playing this against Decideuye/Plume is just an L without Weakness Policy. If that deck falls off in popularity or if you are just a risk taker drop the 2 Weakness Policy. Consider dropping your ability Pokemon and putting in 2-2 Garbodor line and another Hex Maniac for that style of play. Finding room for field blower and eco arm would be nice too. Take liberties on the item line, the suggestions I most wanted to make to you is the Pokemon line. I will be testing this more heavily soon. Good luck!!
I've taken out the Energy Keeper Carbink. I'm wondeirng how useful is the Zygarde EX in this deck?

I've taken out the Energy Keeper Carbink. I'm wondeirng how useful is the Zygarde EX in this deck?

Usually pretty good, if you have room there is nothing wrong with adding a second one. It's a decent starter, but it's real use is not getting walled Glaceon EX. I understand you have Lysandre and the Midnight Lycanroc. I'd say adding it is dealers choice, rather than a staple of the deck; you could replace it with another Regirock, a third Break, or another N/Sycamore I suppose.

I run the hammers version and win more than 70% on ptcgo. I run pure lycanroc though. No carbink, zygarde, or anything else. I only run 4 unown to help keep from mulliganing. And yes this deck would be perfect if it weren't weak to grass.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Wobbuffet yet.

It's a good partner for Lycanroc-GX, emphasising the theme of control, and is a strong card in the current metagame. By simply having a Wobbuffet Active, you completely turn the Decidueye/Vileplume matchup on it's head, as the deck is so vulnerable to Energy removal. In fact, you could win that matchup without even playing down a Rockruff/Lycanroc-GX - approach it patiently and Crushing/Enhanced Hammer and Team Flare Grunt away the threats; if the opponent Hollow Hunt GX's Energy back into their hand, your ideal response is a Team Skull Grunt.

As you want to start with Wobbuffet in every game, I'd suggest running 4 of them with a lower mix of Rockruff/Lycanroc-GX and, possibly, Unown. Subsequently, as you won't be running any Pokemon-based draw, increase your count of Scorched Earth to -sort of- make up for it.

Unfortunately, Lurantis-GX is a very difficult matchup. For this reason, either run Weakness Policy or surrender. I'd actually not bother teching for it as it's not that popular right now (though it will be when Guardians Rising is released and it gets a few new toys).

Last edited:
Here's my Lycanroc Hammers. 73% on PTCGO.

upload_2017-4-26_1-13-40.png

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 12

* 2 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
* 3 Rockruff PR-SM SM06
* 3 Lycanroc-GX PR-SM SM14
* 4 Unown AOR 30

##Trainer Cards - 39

* 4 Puzzle of Time BKP 109
* 3 Professor Sycamore STS 114
* 4 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 2 Exp. Share SUM 118
* 1 Super Rod BKT 149
* 1 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 1 Team Flare Grunt GEN 73
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 1 Special Charge STS 105
* 4 Crushing Hammer SUM 115
* 4 VS Seeker ROS 110
* 1 Lysandre FLF 104
* 1 Team Skull Grunt SUM 149
* 1 Float Stone BKT 137
* 4 Professor Birch's Observations PRC 134
* 1 Enhanced Hammer PHF 94
* 2 Level Ball NXD 89

##Energy - 9

* 4 Strong Energy FAC 115
* 5 Fighting Energy 6

Total Cards - 60

Pokemon (14):
  • 4-4 Lycanroc GX
  • 2 Orangaru
  • 1-1-2 Carbink BREAK
Trainers (35):
  • 4 N
  • 3 Sycamore
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 2 Hex Maniac
  • 2 Team Skull Grunt
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 2 Nest Ball
  • 1 Level Ball
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 3 Trainers' Mail
  • 4 Crushing Hammer
  • 1 Enhanced Hammer
  • 2 Weakness Policy
  • 1 Float Stone
  • 2 Scorched Earth
Energy (10):
  • 6 Fighting
  • 4 Strong

Card Explanations:

4-4 line
I want consistency and long game

Orangaru: I'm deciding between a split between Shaymin or Orangaru. I don't know how useful Shaymin is considering I'll need at least 2 turns before attacking.

Scorched Earth: I honestly don't know what Stadium to put here. Scorched earth might work well with Orangaru but I honestly don't know. Delinquent? Paint Roller?

I really don't know what else I can think of. Any suggestions?

EDIT: I also want to say I'm not looking for that aggressive of a deck. I want a more defensive all-round/meta deck.
Interestingly enough, I too run similar decks based upon your noted strategies. However, I do not run a Carbink line in any of my F decks due to the increased use of GX Pokémon that can, in many cases, just 1HKO Carbink BREAK and can also bypass Carbink's Safeguard Ability.

In regards to your deck, following are a few comments for your consideration:

• Replace the entire Carbink BREAK line with 2 Special Charge and 1 Zygarde EX and another Oranguru or Tauros GX.
  • Since this particular deck variant is based upon disruption, I strongly suggest incorporating a Delinquent.
  • Replacing 1 Crushing Hammer with a Team Flare Grunt enhances and extends your capability to disrupt your opponent even further.
  • Incorporating 1 Olympia (replacing the 1 Float Stone) provides some healing, switching any Pokémon), and reusable via VS Seeker.
In regards to your card choices and respective counts:

2 Hex Maniac. Personally, I've been running 2 in my tournament decks for awhile now. IMO, it's a solid choice when you can afford it; because Abyssal Hand, Irritating Pollen, Feather Arrow, etc. Abilities are quite popular at the moment. Plus, Hex Maniac compliments your disruption strategy.

2 Weakness Policy. Although there are other Tool options like Poison Barb, Assault Vest, the new GUR Tool that boosts your damage when attacking EX or GX Pokémon, Weakness Policy can potentially extend any of your Pokémon's HP (i.e., from a normal 1HKO to a 2HKO). IMO, a 2-count is the right investment.

Scorched Earth. I like the 2 Stadium count, but I'd prefer running Parallel City for opponent's bench disruption, and/or reducing my bench size to remove unwanted/unneeded Pokémon from my bench.

I hope you find these comments helpful.

Interestingly enough, I too run similar decks based upon your noted strategies. However, I do not run a Carbink line in any of my F decks due to the increased use of GX Pokémon that can, in many cases, just 1HKO Carbink BREAK and can also bypass Carbink's Safeguard Ability.

In regards to your deck, following are a few comments for your consideration:

• Replace the entire Carbink BREAK line with 2 Special Charge and 1 Zygarde EX and another Oranguru or Tauros GX.
  • Since this particular deck variant is based upon disruption, I strongly suggest incorporating a Delinquent.
  • Replacing 1 Crushing Hammer with a Team Flare Grunt enhances and extends your capability to disrupt your opponent even further.
  • Incorporating 1 Olympia (replacing the 1 Float Stone) provides some healing, switching any Pokémon), and reusable via VS Seeker.
In regards to your card choices and respective counts:

2 Hex Maniac. Personally, I've been running 2 in my tournament decks for awhile now. IMO, it's a solid choice when you can afford it; because Abyssal Hand, Irritating Pollen, Feather Arrow, etc. Abilities are quite popular at the moment. Plus, Hex Maniac compliments your disruption strategy.

2 Weakness Policy. Although there are other Tool options like Poison Barb, Assault Vest, the new GUR Tool that boosts your damage when attacking EX or GX Pokémon, Weakness Policy can potentially extend any of your Pokémon's HP (i.e., from a normal 1HKO to a 2HKO). IMO, a 2-count is the right investment.

Scorched Earth. I like the 2 Stadium count, but I'd prefer running Parallel City for opponent's bench disruption, and/or reducing my bench size to remove unwanted/unneeded Pokémon from my bench.

I hope you find these comments helpful.
Sounds very good. I am unsure of Zygarde EX especially since I'm on a budget now. Can you explain his purpose in this deck and how it compliments this deck?

Other than that thank you so much for your suggestions.

Sounds very good. I am unsure of Zygarde EX especially since I'm on a budget now. Can you explain his purpose in this deck and how it compliments this deck?
Zygarde EX compliments the deck in a variety of way; it's a:
  • Fighting "Big Basic" with lots of HP,
  • A solid, 1-energy attacker inflicting 40-60 damage with an attached Strong energy and/or Stadium in play, and
  • A unique, 3-attack Pokémon that adds some versatility (attack options).
Of course, it has a heavy retreat cost and is also weak to G Pokémon attacks, but it also provides a "nice cover" while setting up.

You could forgo adding Zygarde EX and maybe just use Colorless Pokémon like Lugia EX and/or Tauros GX to fulfill any remaining deck slots designed for Basics. These particular Pokémon would work well too, IMO.

Here's my Lycanroc Hammers. 73% on PTCGO.

View attachment 13316

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 12

* 2 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
* 3 Rockruff PR-SM SM06
* 3 Lycanroc-GX PR-SM SM14
* 4 Unown AOR 30

##Trainer Cards - 39

* 4 Puzzle of Time BKP 109
* 3 Professor Sycamore STS 114
* 4 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 2 Exp. Share SUM 118
* 1 Super Rod BKT 149
* 1 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 1 Team Flare Grunt GEN 73
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 1 Special Charge STS 105
* 4 Crushing Hammer SUM 115
* 4 VS Seeker ROS 110
* 1 Lysandre FLF 104
* 1 Team Skull Grunt SUM 149
* 1 Float Stone BKT 137
* 4 Professor Birch's Observations PRC 134
* 1 Enhanced Hammer PHF 94
* 2 Level Ball NXD 89

##Energy - 9

* 4 Strong Energy FAC 115
* 5 Fighting Energy 6

Total Cards - 60

Yep. This. I have a buddy at our league who runs something similar, but with Carbink Break for additional energy acceleration. Different flavors of the same deck. Having played against both this deck and my buddy's deck, I would say they both have pros and cons (duh? LOL!) and I think both are situational plays depending on what you are expecting to face. If you are going to see a heavier EX lineup, you definitely want the Carbink variety. If not, 21Times has a better list. It also depends on what your goal is with the list. If the goal is to attack harder with more frequency, the Carbink list will get you there more consistently due to the ability to accelerate strong energy throughout the game (Lycanroc with 3 Strong Energy SUCKS to play against). But to do that, you give up some control. If your goal is to control the game throughout the game, @21times list is the one for you.

As for the Eeveelutions deck. My buddy also built this list and I can honestly say that I think it is counterproductive. Long story short, you lose a lot of the hard control and don't get back enough additional damage to make it worth the loss of control. The deck can already hit for a metric ton when set up correctly. Adding weakness for a couple of match ups while weakening the deck for everything else is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Wobbuffet. I haven't seen this variant yet. It might work, but I don't honestly see how it helps in almost any match up beyond Deciplume / Lurantis Plume. It gives you a great stall and access to items, but I think it gets in the way of your deck more than it helps you in match ups against other decks. I would rather play 2 hex in a list like this if I was really all that concerned about making sure I kept items active.

Back