Discussion Lugia-EX vs Yveltal-EX

I prefer Yveltal-EX, at least in Expanded play. With Dark Patch, Max Elixir, and combo'd with Yveltal's Oblivion wing, he powers up quickly. Yveltal-EX has been my favorite card since it was released, and still is.

In Standard play though, Yveltal-EX doesn't have enough support right now, and Lugia-EX has more versatility so he gets the nod.

In Standard play though, Yveltal-EX doesn't have enough support right now, and Lugia-EX has more versatility so he gets the nod.

Considering that the last three Masters Tournaments (European Internationals, Fort Wayne, and Orlando) were all taken by Yveltal EX/Garbodor, I don't think I could disagree with this statement more. The deck is extremely powerful in Standard right now.

Actually, after research, all three brackets (Masters, Seniors, Juniors) were taken by Yveltal EX/Garbodor in Europe. Same with Fort Wayne (one was Yveltal EX/Zoroark). Orlando was an exception as Seniors/Juniors was taking by Darkrai EX, but then again, I think this was around the time we all started seriously looking at Yveltal EX as a threat...again.

As I stated before, if these results aren't telling us something very obvious, we may all simply be oblivious. Time to find some new tech, guys.

-Asmer

Considering that the last three Masters Tournaments (European Internationals, Fort Wayne, and Orlando) were all taken by Yveltal EX/Garbodor, I don't think I could disagree with this statement more. The deck is extremely powerful in Standard right now.

Actually, after research, all three brackets (Masters, Seniors, Juniors) were taken by Yveltal EX/Garbodor in Europe. Same with Fort Wayne (one was Yveltal EX/Zoroark). Orlando was an exception as Seniors/Juniors was taking by Darkrai EX, but then again, I think this was around the time we all started seriously looking at Yveltal EX as a threat...again.

As I stated before, if these results aren't telling us something very obvious, we may all simply be oblivious. Time to find some new tech, guys.

-Asmer

You could be right. I haven't been able to get Yveltal/Zoroark or Yveltal/Garbador to work as smoothly as I hoped. And beating Yveltal/Garb has not been too difficult.

Last edited:
You could be right. I haven't been able to get Yveltal/Zoroark or Yveltal/Garbador to work as smoothly as I hoped. And beating Yveltal/Garb has not been too difficult.

To be honest, I wonder how skill-oriented the deck is to pilot. While we're all seeing the results being pretty consistent, I've had games where I've decimated the deck. Then again, I've had games where they've taken me to the paddling bench and have bent me over, but I digress.

I can imagine it would take a bit of knowledge knowing when to appropriately use Fright Night Yveltal over Yveltal EX and utilizing attacks like Y Cyclone, so I could see it being something that needs time to learn. Also, as we all know, this game is very huge on "I hope you build that correctly...", and any deck-building error can cost you full tournament runs (that and RNG etc.).

I'd honestly love to hear from more Yveltal-EX and Lugia-EX users. I want to know just how hard both cards are to run as full on strategies and in what ways Lugia-EX is used when it is put in as a tech etc. I want to know things like what the strategy is against strong decks like Greninja BREAK, Volcanion, Mega Mewtwo, etc. I think that information would all be very useful to discuss.

Still, this has been very good so far as a whole. Keep it up!

-Asmer

Back