Losing to the Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
I 've read the complete thread, message by message, so I think I can give my oppinion now.

It doesn't matter if you are under Item Lock T1 or your opponent's Joltik can do 180 damage in T1. What really matters is that you can adapt yourself to the metagame. When I started back in the BW begginings, I haven't any really competitive card since DRX, when I got 3 Garbodors. So, when I got them, I started to play Garbodor + techs against the metagame of my city. And now I think I learnt a lot from that. It's true that there are powerful decks, but each player plays something that adapts to him/her. For example, I can't play NM, not because of hate or something like that. It's because I preffer to play a healing or a disruption deck. So, what can I do against my bad match ups? Techs.

Now I'll write what I think you could do againts those 2 match up you're 'complaining'

For Trevenant:
I don't know your supporter list, but I'd like you to tell us how the deck works without discards. I guess its about using Xana/N/Tierno (I used to run Cheren as a 1-of, 'cause drawing 3 cards in the BW format wasn't too bad, but that works when you run some Ability-based drawing deck). As said before, Lysandre is your only supporter option to break Item Lock (as you can't use Hex Maniac). But you have other resources to fight Item Lock. You can use Swellow XY or the new Hawlucha to break the lock. Use a supporter-based search engine with Brigette or Fan Club. Instead of using Tierno/Xana for drawing, play something as 4x Unown + Slurpuff PhF (Octillery and similars are not an option under Item Lock as you can't do much to reduce your hand). There you have 3 alternative options (I'm not saying to use all of them at the same time). Be creative!

For NM:
You're playing against pokemon wit max 100 HP (with FFB). I'm sure you can add 2-of any pokemon that uses you're energy requirements (for Ho-oh EX [L][W][G] I think) and can KO marchers and Mews. For example, Pinsir BKT. For a [G] energy, 30 damage. You only need the Pinsir and maybe a Megaphone (Or Muscle Band for mew). How can you get those cards just when you have lost one pokemon your last turn? Teammates. You need to discard? No. Futhermore, you're not under Item Lock, so you can use your Items to obtain those things! You don't like Pinsir? Use any other thing. Use Mew + something (maybe White-Kyurem FC?) I'm sure you must run Max Elixir, with that and Golduck BREAK you can fuel a potential Blizzard Burn with Mew (NM plays DV) at least 2 times a game to ko FFB Pumpkaboo. Kyurem's first attack can Ko Joltik while not using FBB.

I hope you understand my point of view. The way the game is, is not a problem. The problem is not trying to make it evolve.
This is stated extremely well I agree with everything here.

So...This thread has been completely derailed... IT"S A CRAZY TRAIN!

Either way, here's what I would say losing to the game is:
  1. Dead Draw
  2. A deck that can't abuse the only existing engine
  3. Bad Flips
Outside of luck, I don't think it is the game's fault.

Lol I would definetly disagree. If T1 Item Lock doesn't exist, what does literally everyone on the face of the earth play?!?

NIGHT MARCH

TPCi gave us Trevenant BREAK as a direct counter to Night March after its rampage through City Championships. When they realized Night March was still incredibly broken they gave us Revitalizer (Literally made for vespiplume). Frankly I like Standard right now (especially with M Alakazam-EX) and I feel that the main cycle right now is... ||||||| Item Lock beats Night March, Night March beats EXs, EXs beat Item Lock ||||||| (If they are suited to deal with it, which they all should be IMO). Frankly I would very much disagree with this statement. Plus, TPCi is not going to make the metagame completely fair or it makes it stale. This encourages people to be innovative and create a more fun and balanced metagame for all.

I'm sure those cards weren't made to stop night march. To point isn't to fix toxic things with other toxic thing but to fix any mechanic problems with the game as a whole. The fact that its play item lock or night march means there is a issue somwhere. Karen is being made as a direct counter to Night March but this should have been done a long time ago throughout a few cards.

I 've read the complete thread, message by message, so I think I can give my oppinion now.

It doesn't matter if you are under Item Lock T1 or your opponent's Joltik can do 180 damage in T1. What really matters is that you can adapt yourself to the metagame. When I started back in the BW begginings, I haven't any really competitive card since DRX, when I got 3 Garbodors. So, when I got them, I started to play Garbodor + techs against the metagame of my city. And now I think I learnt a lot from that. It's true that there are powerful decks, but each player plays something that adapts to him/her. For example, I can't play NM, not because of hate or something like that. It's because I preffer to play a healing or a disruption deck. So, what can I do against my bad match ups? Techs.

I don't want to get into my deck list but my list for Ho-Oh EX is good. I too favor strategies that maintain my resources. Because I run things like Max Potion, I can't afford to run things that would force me to discard them. I play other cards to sub them. My deck is pretty standard as for what competitive deck structure should be.

The goal from the start of the game is to make sure both players get to play without being shut down from the start. First turn rules were change to prevent donks. Look at Mario Maker's 100 man challenge. If you play the expert courses, the game doesn't give you well made courses, it gives you any the server considers 'hard'.
What if this course started with a spring or P Switch that fell from the sky and you needed it to get past the first part or you have to jump of a cliff and die, then start again? This isn't a mechanical issue or an issue with a players understanding of mechanic, its a problem with understanding what good design is. You as the player are being punished for playing the game because you have no idea that was going to happen so you pretty much are starting with 99 lives rather than the 100 you should have had. What if you have 1 or 2 lives left and get a stage like this for your last one? You're pretty much doomed from the start!

Sure you can predict to play stages like this so should you risk a life going for a blind jump to maybe hope you get that stage and don't lose one right from the start? Good level designers would never do this because the player should at least see the stage before expecting to deal with the mechanics of the stage. Item lock is much of the same. Why should a player risk their matchups against other decks just to play against one you might never play against? If the designers see a problem with pacing with the game, they are to address it. After all, this is a multiplayer game so it should be as balanced all throughout the game.

As for Night March, things like this shouldn't exist because of the type of game Pokemon is. Until its your opponent's turn, you're playing solitaire. You can't disrupt your opponent, slow them down or counter cards on their turn. You have to sit there and wait. Because this mechanic doesn't exist in Pokemon, the developers have to (or should rather) take extra care with design when making burn or speed card, because that interaction isn't there like with other card game.

My case was never I don't like these deck (well I don't) or to come off as complaining but to talk about game design and balance as a game designer who works with mechanics.

So...This thread has been completely derailed... IT"S A CRAZY TRAIN!

Either way, here's what I would say losing to the game is:
  1. Dead Draw
  2. A deck that can't abuse the only existing engine
  3. Bad Flips
Outside of luck, I don't think it is the game's fault.

I know, I didn't want this to happen and I tried many times to put it back on track. When I say losing to the game, I mean losing to effects rather than the player, if that makes any sense. Item lock wins the game, not the player. That's an example.

Last edited:
My case was never I don't like these deck (well I don't) or to come off as complaining but to talk about game design and balance as a game designer who works with mechanics
In that case, this thread is entirely off-topic and probably doesn't belong in the Competitive Play format to begin with.

Since this thread has been pretty irreversibly derailed from its stated topic and has just been going in circles for the past few days, I'm going to go ahead and lock it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back