Discussion Local Meta: Mega Mewtwo

Defiance

Aspiring Trainer
First off, let me caveat this by saying and reiterating; my local meta doesn't really play Garbador in any of its variants at the moment.

With that in mind, is there a place for Mega Mewtwo in the 6 months left of Standard in a Meta that doesn't include Garb?

I have a deck-list in mind -- kinda, sorta. But I kinda wanna know the general opinion.

First off, know that I can't give perfect advice. I only really play expanded. However, I can tell you that M Mewtwo has fallen out of the meta, and likely for a reason. Other things just beat him. Gardevoir has energy acceleration. Zoroark has a lot of hp and only has two energy on him, so you'd need 5 energy on one Mewtwo to one shot a Zoroark, when all they need is another Zoroark and a DCE to keep attacking. Golisopod is even harder to one-shot, since it only has one energy most of the time. Plus, M Mewtwo needs a Spirit Link, or it's incredibly clunky.

That being said, I think you could get away with M Mewtwo if you wanted. Other things might be a bit better, but that doesn't mean it doesn't do stuff. It still can do massive damage fairly easily. I'm a strong believer in playing whatever feels more comfortable, so if you want to play M Mewtwo, and you feel good with that deck, I'd say go for it.

The only possible way to run MM2 I can imagine without simply turning it into Gardevoir GX is through cheat-rushing it with Leafeon GX and Vikavolt.

Your gameplan would be to start Leafeon GX for t2 Grand Bloom, so you can evolve M2 EX without Spirit Links and a Grubbin into Charjabug to power up your MM2 t3 (provided that you find Vikavolt) and go for broke. But it's a risky plan I don't know what you have in mind, though.

I was debating an updated Mewtwo/Garb decklist, honestly. I'll probably run a decklist through the workshop tonight and see what I can do.

I dont wanna run too many techs, as it could get convoluted quickly; but something like Mewtwo/Garb/Shinning Celebi/Lunala Prism... the works..

Oh, sorry. You asked if there was the possibility of running MM2 without including Garbodor in the OP, I thought you wanted ideas diverting from that. My bad.

My bad, I worded that kinda wrong. My Local Meta doesn't really run Garb, but that doesn't mean I'm adverse to it. I play tested a deck last night and it was really clunky.. started with bad odds 2 outta 3 times. Hoopa-Ex once, Shinning Celebi once. Neither were favorable starting positions.

I've posted my decklist here: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/threads/mega-mewtwo-garb.146637/

Last edited by a moderator:
The only possible way to run MM2 I can imagine without simply turning it into Gardevoir GX is through cheat-rushing it with Leafeon GX and Vikavolt.

Your gameplan would be to start Leafeon GX for t2 Grand Bloom, so you can evolve M2 EX without Spirit Links and a Grubbin into Charjabug to power up your MM2 t3 (provided that you find Vikavolt) and go for broke. But it's a risky plan I don't know what you have in mind, though.
you can T-1 grand bloom if you go second

Back