Local Leagues to Distribute Play! Pokemon Prize Packs

JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
Pokemon has announced new Prize Packs that will replace the old, stamped League Promo cards. Similar to POP! Series packs from the past, each Play! Pokémon Prize Pack will contain six cards from a pool of roughly 200 cards legal in the Standard format. New Prize packs will release approximately every six months. Among the available cards in the first set of Prize packs include stamped versions of Rayquaza VMAX, Charizard VMAX, and Pikachu VMAX!
Players can earn these packs by participating in local events, including League, League Challenges, and League Cups, as supplies last.
The text below comes from the official reveal of the new packs!
In-store events are making their return, and we’re excited to introduce Prize Packs to Play! Pokémon retail locations worldwide. Qualified Play! Pokémon retailers have...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
That's pretty cool. I just hope there are enough of these and it's not a "get first place in a League Cup to maybe get one" situation.

Oh boy, I can’t wait to see how TPCi bungles this “new” way of distributing league-stamped cards and how less-than-reputable LGSs will abuse this to maximize their bottom line.

But on a more serious note I don‘t see any logical reason why TPCi decided to bring back POP packs in everything but name and set size. We used to get tournament-viable stamped promos as participation rewards and if Charzard VMAX, Pikachu VMAX, and Rayquaza VMAX are listed as being “fan favorites“ then I doubt that the stamped Ultra-Rares will actually be anything but collector bait. And having a 200-card “set” only being obtainable in 6-card packs makes me violently ill, TPCi should take a hint from other TCGs and actually use these limited sets boost the amount of cards in packs beyond the 10-count limit that that’s been a mainstay for years.

In short, I’m not a fan of this since they‘re replacing participation promos and possibly being used as prize support. Yecch!

Oh boy, I can’t wait to see how TPCi bungles this “new” way of distributing league-stamped cards and how less-than-reputable LGSs will abuse this to maximize their bottom line.

But on a more serious note I don‘t see any logical reason why TPCi decided to bring back POP packs in everything but name and set size. We used to get tournament-viable stamped promos as participation rewards and if Charzard VMAX, Pikachu VMAX, and Rayquaza VMAX are listed as being “fan favorites“ then I doubt that the stamped Ultra-Rares will actually be anything but collector bait. And having a 200-card “set” only being obtainable in 6-card packs makes me violently ill, TPCi should take a hint from other TCGs and actually use these limited sets boost the amount of cards in packs beyond the 10-count limit that that’s been a mainstay for years.

In short, I’m not a fan of this since they‘re replacing participation promos and possibly being used as prize support. Yecch!
Yea making this a 200 card set is going to cause an absolute frenzy. Especially considering this first one has a limited run that’s half the length of the ones that will come after AND it includes a CHARIZARD.

I love collecting and grading exclusive tournament promos. I have a decent collection already of some of the old crosshatch promos and I’ve collected Yugioh tournament pack cards since I was in high school. Super worried the Zard (and the other Ultra Rares) will be crazy unattainable.

Yea making this a 200 card set is going to cause an absolute frenzy. Especially considering this first one has a limited run that’s half the length of the ones that will come after AND it includes a CHARIZARD.

I love collecting and grading exclusive tournament promos. I have a decent collection already of some of the old crosshatch promos and I’ve collected Yugioh tournament pack cards since I was in high school. Super worried the Zard (and the other Ultra Rares) will be crazy unattainable.
These packs are essentially POP Pack 2: Collector Boogaloo thanks to the 6-card packs and the 200-card sets. And if you're trying to figure out what the pull rate for VMAXes and other Ultra-Rares could possibly be it' worth remembering that the chase card in POP Pack sets were insanely hard to pull.
Is Series 1 live now?
The article says that some stores are already getting those products in but the time to obtain them is shortened due to Series Two packs becoming available in February 2023.
It's a Yu-Gi-Oh OTS pack! This is actually a great idea I think. It provides a cool incentive to play at locals while benefiting your collection and deck.
About time The Pokemon Company International started giving the players something along the lines that konami have been giving their players for years
I actually preferred the ol' promo handout method since I'd at least know if the card I'm getting is good or not, this kind of nonsense actually lessens my desire to compete in local events.

I actually preferred the ol' promo handout method since I'd at least know if the card I'm getting is good or not, this kind of nonsense actually lessens my desire to compete in local events.
I can see both sides of this.
-Having a specific promo each season meant you knew what the goal was. Downside to this is some people may choose not to go if there is a lackluster card that season or if there is a good card they attend 4 leagues early on to get a playset never to return.

-Having a random pack of cards means there is incentive to keep coming back to league to chase some cool stamped/foil cards. Downside is the pool is SO large that it isn't feasible for anyone to get a card they want much less collect the set.

Personally I would like the idea of a pack if the pool was MUCH smaller like 20-30 so new players have a higher chance at getting good trainers/pokemon and everyone else can go for chase cards.

Anyone else noticed how they mention it'll come with both holo and NON-HOLO energy?! You mean to tell me if I do bad at an event or they only give 1 per person, out of the 6 cards in this 200 card set, one of those 6 is just a plain energy I can pull from any pack...

Holo energy, understandable, I want those. Non-holo's are just a wasted slot in a bloated set.

this is how digimon does it. The packs are numerous enough for them to be participation prizes at every locals near me, and I live in a pretty out of the way place. Good decision.

These packs are essentially POP Pack 2: Collector Boogaloo thanks to the 6-card packs and the 200-card sets. And if you're trying to figure out what the pull rate for VMAXes and other Ultra-Rares could possibly be it' worth remembering that the chase card in POP Pack sets were insanely hard to pull.

The article says that some stores are already getting those products in but the time to obtain them is shortened due to Series Two packs becoming available in February 2023.

I’m hoping since there are separate rarities in this pack they’ll have consistent pull rates and won’t be crazy hard to obtain. Like if there are only 3 Vmax Pokémon and you get a VMax in 1 out of every 5 or 10 packs that’s not terrible.

But if it really is 1 out of 40 like the Gold Stars then we’re truly screwed.

If there's anything to go by later series will start carrying Japanese exclusive promos, then the real frenzy begins

Back