Help Last played ~2 years ago, question about the "viability" of a few expanded decks I have (PTCGO)

Paraxes

Aspiring Trainer
Hey guys,

I last played around the time when Greeninja was still a thing and would like to come back.
I never really enjoyed standard that much and mostly grinded ladder with theme decks or Expanded (my preferred format)

I have a question about the expanded decks I still have and would like to know if they are still viable to play in expanded or if I'd get my *** handed constantly.

And if so, which one is the most potent in the current Meta of those listed?

If none of them really are, any way to make some of them viable maybe via new cards (I'd welcome any tips in that regard).

First, my favourite one that I played the most back then:

Rayquaza/Raichu
Pokémon - 19
* 4 Rayquaza-EX ROS 75
* 4 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
* 3 M Rayquaza-EX ROS 76
* 1 Virizion-EX PLB 9
* 3 Pikachu GEN 26
* 3 Raichu GEN 27
* 1 Hoopa-EX AOR 89

Trainer Cards - 33
* 1 Computer Search BCR 137
* 3 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 3 Rayquaza Spirit Link ROS 87
* 2 Lysandre AOR 78
* 1 Karen PR-XY XY177
* 2 Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear PHF 92
* 2 Colress PLS 118
* 1 N FCO 105
* 4 Sky Field ROS 89
* 1 Float Stone BKT 137
* 3 Mega Turbo ROS 86
* 4 Ultra Ball ROS 93
* 2 Professor Sycamore PHF 101
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109

Energy - 8
* 4 Double Colorless Energy FCO 114
* 4 Grass Energy GEN 75

Darkrei/Yveltal
Pokémon - 11
* 1 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
* 2 Darkrai-EX DEX 63
* 2 Yveltal BKT 94
* 1 Yveltal XY 78
* 3 Yveltal-EX PR-XY XY150
* 1 Jirachi-EX PLB 60
* 1 Keldeo-EX BCR 49

Trainer Cards - 37
* 3 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 2 Lysandre AOR 78
* 3 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 2 Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear PHF 92
* 4 Max Elixir BKP 102
* 3 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99
* 3 Reverse Valley BKP 110
* 3 N FCO 105
* 4 Dark Patch DEX 93
* 1 Float Stone BKT 137
* 4 Ultra Ball ROS 93
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109

Energy - 12
* 8 Darkness Energy XYEnergy 1

Yveltal/Garbodor
Pokémon - 12
* 2 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
* 1 Yveltal GEN 116
* 2 Yveltal BKT 94
* 3 Yveltal-EX PR-XY XY150
* 2 Trubbish BKP 56
* 2 Garbodor BKP 57

Trainer Cards - 35
* 2 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 1 Olympia GEN 66
* 2 Lysandre AOR 78
* 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 1 Super Rod NVI 95
* 3 Max Elixir BKP 102
* 3 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99
* 1 Reverse Valley BKP 110
* 2 Parallel City BKT 145
* 3 N FCO 105
* 3 Float Stone BKT 137
* 2 Enhanced Hammer PHF 94
* 4 Ultra Ball ROS 93
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109

Energy - 13
* 9 Darkness Energy XYEnergy 1

Keledo/Blastoise
Pokémon - 17
* 2 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
* 2 Exeggcute PLF 4
* 2 Jirachi-EX PLB 60
* 3 Unown AOR 30
* 2 Articuno ROS 17
* 3 Keldeo-EX LTR 45
* 1 Regice AOR 24
* 2 Blastoise BCR 31

Trainer Cards - 32
* 2 Rough Seas PRC 137
* 4 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 1 Lysandre FLF 90
* 2 Archie's Ace in the Hole PRC 124
* 1 Fisherman BKT 136
* 4 Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear PHF 92
* 1 N FCO 105
* 1 Float Stone BKT 137
* 4 Ultra Ball FCO 113
* 1 Muscle Band XY 121
* 2 Professor Sycamore PHF 101
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109
* 4 Superior Energy Retrieval PLF 103

Energy - 11
* 11 Water Energy XYEnergy 9

Mewtwo/Garbodor
Pokémon - 14
* 2 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
* 1 Hoopa-EX AOR 89
* 4 Mewtwo-EX PR-XY XY107
* 2 Trubbish BKP 56
* 2 Garbodor BKP 57
* 3 M Mewtwo-EX BKT 64

Trainer Cards - 35
* 4 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 2 Lysandre FLF 90
* 2 Shrine of Memories PRC 139
* 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 1 Special Charge STS 105
* 4 Mewtwo Spirit Link BKT 144
* 1 Parallel City BKT 145
* 3 N FCO 105
* 3 Float Stone BKT 137
* 4 Ultra Ball FCO 113
* 3 Mega Turbo ROS 86
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109

Energy - 11
* 7 Psychic Energy HSEnergy 8

Sorry for the long list and thanks guys!

None of these are really that great anymore, but Archies Blastoise has been making a bit of a comeback.

With major cards like puzzles, ghetis, and hex maniac banned, ability are on the rise again. Personally, I've been playing toad with Giratina EX lately and that's been doing pretty well.

Hmhm, that is what I feared, thank you. I had a look around and found a Turbo Darkrai variant which I'd like to play since it would require that many new cards.

The thing is, that is from a tournament from almost a year ago so I have 0 idea if that is a viable deck now, any recommendations for that?

Hmhm, that is what I feared, thank you. I had a look around and found a Turbo Darkrai variant which I'd like to play since it would require that many new cards.

The thing is, that is from a tournament from almost a year ago so I have 0 idea if that is a viable deck now, any recommendations for that?
No, not really because Buzz is so prevalent in expanded right now, and Darkrai is weak to fighting.

Of the decks you listed, Archie’s Blastoise has the best shot to do the best.

I’m not too privy on the build, but there was a Day 2 A.B. Deck in Dallas. I can’t remember where the list is, but that’s pretty much what you should match your deck to as nothing released since then helps the deck.

Four problems:

1) You have to be VERY good at knowing how to Archie’s T1. The deck has a really good projected matchup spread provided you can get Archie’s to happen very quickly. The longer it takes you to Archie’s, the worse the game becomes—and it can go downhill quick.

2) The deck tends to brick really bad at times (ala Greninja BREAK).

3) the damage output isn’t the best. It takes quite a bit of effort to get to OHKO GX/EX territory.

4) Ability-lock hurts. Opponents running both Garbotoxin AND Trashalanche will give you solid problems. Silent Lab and Alolan Muk will give you problems as well.

Thanks for your help, Mero.

Yeah, I already decided to first build a turbo Darkrai deck, since I really enjoyed that little guy 2 years ago and the upgrades won't cost me much. I read multiple times now that it's quite good IF you don't run into fighting decks. I totally understand why it's not played in tournaments but since I just grind ladder, taking a minute to requeue isn't too bad if I just insta concede basically.

And secondly I will just go ahead and simply craft an entirly new deck. Sucks but if the power creep just made other decks unusable then that is how it is. Not sure what I will go for, Garbodor Toolbox, Gardevoir as well as buzzwole look all like fun so, not sure yet but buzzwole seems like it fits my style the most

Thanks for your help, Mero.
no problemo!

Yeah, I already decided to first build a turbo Darkrai deck, since I really enjoyed that little guy 2 years ago and the upgrades won't cost me much. I read multiple times now that it's quite good IF you don't run into fighting decks.

That's a really big "IF". Expanded meta is really up in the air right now and won't really solidify until the first Expanded regional happens in late next month. Buzzwole is a super safe meta pick in the meta right now and is considered one of the top tier decks (right up there with Psychic Toolbox, Archies Blastoise, and Trevenant BREAK).

There was a recent Expanded Cup (73 Masters). The top 8 decks were: 2 Buzzwole/Lycanroc GX, Ultra Necrozma GX, Wailord, Trevenant BREAK, Night March, Zoroark GX/Garbodor, Psychic Toolbox. You will see fighting decks.

That said, the two decks in the finals was Night March and Trevenant so....I don't know. Trevenant faced Wailord in the first top 8 match and that Wailord didn't run Rough Seas. If it did run Rough Seas, the Trevenant matchup becomes an autowin.

For more context, I was at Dallas regionals this year and I was in static seating next to a guy who was running Darkrai Turbo. He got destroyed ALL DAY. This was before Buzzwole was cool, and he didn't even face any Fighting decks all day. The deck is still fast, but it lacks consistent OHKO power, and 180 HP is considered "soft" these days. That and the deck is VERY EX heavy so it's very easy to outpace it in the prize trade considering that Expanded is shifting a bit into one-prize attackers.

I totally understand why it's not played in tournaments but since I just grind ladder, taking a minute to requeue isn't too bad if I just insta concede basically.
Ok, if it's PTCGO, then I don't know. I lack a decent platform to use PTCGO so I'm not sure how it works. If you're just grinding for points....I guess?

And secondly I will just go ahead and simply craft an entirly new deck. Sucks but if the power creep just made other decks unusable then that is how it is. Not sure what I will go for, Garbodor Toolbox, Gardevoir as well as buzzwole look all like fun so, not sure yet but buzzwole seems like it fits my style the most

Garb Toolbox/Psychic Toolbox is TOUGH to pilot. If you have time to learn it, you'll learn a lot. Any deck that can be described as "toolbox" has A LOT of intricacies to it and knowing "what to play and when" is super important, on top of knowing how to play every matchup as, since you're a toolbox, you're going to approach every deck differently and apply different strategies to each.

Gardevoir can be good. Lost Thunder may give it a boost. Typically, Stage 2 decks in Expanded don't fare too well (outside of Archies Blastoise, which technically isn't the same) as they are less consistent, slower, and have little to no room for tech cards because they need all the consistency they can get. Gardevoir can do good because Metal is heavily underused at the moment and I don't see Metal decks getting any better (There IS hype that Energy acceleration decks may be a bigger thing with Hex Maniac gone like Archie's Blastoise, Eels, Malamar, and Bronzong. Arguably, Bronzong is the worst accelerator of the aforementioned and its Steel).

That said, the best Gardy decks I have seen as of recent have used Tropical Beach ($200 card). Your mileage may vary.

Buzzwole is super fun if you like a consistent deck that just goes in and beats your opponents face and stays there until they are unconscious. The deck is also super cheap to build (especially if you use Scramble Switch as your Ace Spec instead of Computer Search. The recent Buzzwole and Beast Ring League Promo, Max Elixir price has heavily dropped, Buzzwole GX heavily dropped)

Well, I didn't expect such a detailed response again, so all I can say is thank you once more.

In terms of Turbo Darkrai. I just mentioned it because it costs me 3$ in total to get the rest of the cards I need, which is nothing for a deck that might be OK (and if not, no big loss) and also helps me complete the quests for the specific colour.

In regards to ladder. Yeah, you get points and for each step you get online currency, boosters and such, so facing a deck that you are weak to only takes a bit of your time away because you can just conceed right away (obviously very different to a tournament).

Also thank you for the info about the decks I mentioned. I am very much an aggro player when it comes to other card games (Eternal and such), so buzzwole sounds perfect while a difficult deck like toolbox doesn't sound like the best idea after such a long break. Thankfully I also have most of the more expensive trainer cards in PCTGO (computer search etc.), so that's perfect.

I think Buzzwole will bring me through the month then until the first regional tournament happens next month:)

If you don't mind, would this be a good setup for the deck or do you have a better one you'd recommend?

Well, I didn't expect such a detailed response again, so all I can say is thank you once more.

You're welcome.

In terms of Turbo Darkrai. I just mentioned it because it costs me 3$ in total to get the rest of the cards I need, which is nothing for a deck that might be OK (and if not, no big loss) and also helps me complete the quests for the specific colour.

fair enough.

Also thank you for the info about the decks I mentioned. I am very much an aggro player when it comes to other card games (Eternal and such), so buzzwole sounds perfect while a difficult deck like toolbox doesn't sound like the best idea after such a long break. Thankfully I also have most of the more expensive trainer cards in PCTGO (computer search etc.), so that's perfect.

When I first got into competitive, I went right into Sableye / Garbodor (hardest deck in Expanded). It's a real crash course in learning how to manage resources, but you'll learn a lot if you put the time into it.

I think Buzzwole will bring me through the month then until the first regional tournament happens next month:)

Nice! The big thing is that Lost Thunder is going to drastically change the expanded metagame. Unless you're shooting for CP, Portland has to be looked at in a vacuum as a lot of decks that would be viable from now through Portland may not be viable or as viable for when Lost Thunder is legal, Anaheim, and Dallas.

That said, Buzzwole is one of the few decks that I see doing well, at least through Dallas. Archie's MAY take a hit with the Lost Zone shenanigans, Psychic Toolbox gains some interesting cards but I think it remains relatively the same. Same for Trevenant. A bit hard to tell from this point and looking at set spoilers and seeing where it could adjust.

I'm of the belief that Grass decks may see more play in Expanded (Virizion GX, Sceptile GX). If they do become popular, Wailord EX/"Beached Whales" and Seismitoad EX decks take a huge hit and that will cause a bit of shift in the meta.

Faba is nuts.

Girafarig punishes poor deck building.

If you don't mind, would this be a good setup for the deck or do you have a better one you'd recommend?

Check out Limitlesstcg and look up Buzzwole decks from Roanoke. That was the most recent Expanded regional and I believe that 75% of the people that do go to Roanoke are going to copypasta from there.

Back