Discussion KSS Competitive Cards

maidenforce19

Aspiring Trainer
Hello,

I'm relatively new to the Pokémon TCG (at least since I was a kid) and am looking to get into competitive play. I was wondering, out of curiosity, if any cards from the Kalos Starter Set are used in the metagame or any competitive decks (within the Standard format)? The only one I've seen before is Crushing Hammer, but am wondering if any others are used.

Thanks!

Unfortunately Crushing Hammer is really the only competitive card of the Standard format, but for a beginner deck, the Farfetch'd that can do 30 damage for a single Energy can be a good addition. It won't be able to fight against any competitive decks though.

Unfortunately Crushing Hammer is really the only competitive card of the Standard format, but for a beginner deck, the Farfetch'd that can do 30 damage for a single Energy can be a good addition. It won't be able to fight against any competitive decks though.

I see. Thanks for the heads up. On a similar but slightly unrelated note, I was wondering the same thing about the Pokémon cards that have been reprinted from Base - Neo Genesis that are standard legal (there are 5: Poke Ball, Switch, Maintenance, Super Scoop Up, and Potion), as I have a bunch of these cards from when I used to play. I know Switch is used in some competitive decks, but how about the others? I'm assuming Poke Ball is always replaced with better alternatives like Ultra or Level Ball? And same with Potion alternatives?

Super Scoop Up is used in certain decks in the current format. Common partners include the Crobat PHF line, as Super Scoop Up allows you to pick up and replay the line for its Ability. It also has been used in decks as a form of healing, as you can pick up the entire Pokemon and place it down immediately. This is generally only the case in decks that also use the Bats, such as [F] EXs and Seismitoad-EX. Switch depends on the deck. If the deck has higher average retreat costs (2+) then it generally will include a Switch or two and an Escape Rope, however if it uses Float Stone, or has 0-1 average retreats and/or low Energy costs, it generally doesn't need to use Switch.

Poke Ball is not a good card in this format. The random/unreliable element of the card causes it to suffer. Ultra Ball and Level Ball, being far more reliable, are very powerful in the game to search out Pokemon, even despite the costs for things like Ultra Ball. Potion isn't used all too often because the damage it can heal is very small compared to the HP of most competitive Pokemon, and due to the fact that most decks aim at 1-hit KOs now, rather than two or more.

It should be kept in mind that when using older prints, the wording might be different on the card. However, the actual effect of the card will be the same as the most recent print of the card. For an example, Potion was errata'd to always heal 3 damage counters rather than the original 2. Rare Candy also has changed significantly from its first print to current print.

Thanks for the update on the older cards. I wasn't aware Super Scoop Up was used so that's good to know. Not surprising that the others besides Switch aren't used too much, but I wanted to make sure.

I'm going to try to construct a deck based on the cards I already have; so far I'll try to come up with a strategy that makes use of Super Scoop Up, Switch, and Crushing Hammer.

Back