Pokémon Kartana - Why Don't You Have U-Turn?

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
Hello everyone. So Sun and Moon is out, and that's a great opportunity to start discussing each new Pokemon and its viability in OU/VGC. Feel free to open your own thread on any Pokemon you want to talk about!
Let me start with one of the Ultra beasts: Kartana!

Kartana- Grass/Steel

Ability: Beast Boost

Stats

HP: 59
ATK: 181
DEF: 131
S.ATK: 59
S.DEF: 31
SPE: 109

Notable moves:

Sacred Sword
Defog
Synthesis
Night Slash
Swords Dance
Leaf Blade
X-Scissor
Psycho Cut
Brick Break
Rest
Smart Strike
Sleep Talk
Substitute

Kartana has a very high attack stat with 109 speed that puts it high as a great offensive threat. However, the movepool is very lacking. No access to key moves that could have made this mon much better such as U turn, Knock Off, Earthquake and Stone Edge. 109 speed is also somewhat disappointing, considering it can't be faster than all the 110 speed mons like Latios. Despite its high attack, it is no threat to some common walls, like Skarmory and Mandibuzz, without an SD boost. Having Life Orb+SD seems to be a must on Kartana in order to wall break effectively. What do you think about a Choice Scarf set? That could be a good way to use it as a late game revenge killer, considering its ability Beast Boost.
Do you see this thing as a good Defogger? I think the move is quite useless on it, but maybe I'm missing something.

I don't know how good it will be, but my bet is that it is definitely not going to Uber.
Also, let me know what do you think about this thing in VGC. Any combos it can form with an ally?

Once Aegislash and Pheromosa go, it's definitely going to Ubers. It's really not good with either in the tier but it has so much to gain once they go.

It honestly has enough to go completely bonkers with its limited movepool. It's honestly overwhelming with Tapu Lele.

It'll stay OU. It's the Black Kyurem of gen 7.

As a VGC player, this thing is hopeless. The weakness to fire is deadly, and the speed puts it in an awkward position that it is slower against both trick room and normal teams. With that special defense, it will get killed the second it is hit, which means its good stats will never be put to any use.
If the speed stat was 2 higher, it would be completely different, but as of now, it seems hopeless.

Once Aegislash and Pheromosa go, it's definitely going to Ubers. It's really not good with either in the tier but it has so much to gain once they go.

It honestly has enough to go completely bonkers with its limited movepool. It's honestly overwhelming with Tapu Lele.

Pretty much. I've also partnered it with CB Tapu Bulu for the +1 Leaf Blade. Once Kartana gets a kill, it's all over.

Celesteel is possibly the best counter with no weaknesses and access to Flamethrower.

Back