News Kartana GX and Regice from SM4 Revealed!

That Kartana is nuts! The cut down ability is great, being able to discard a special energy can be a game changer. Next Gale Sword can easily be used, only one DCE and a steel energy. And to top it off, you can win the game with that GX attack.

Like I thought, refirocks designed to work together, they will make a cool deck. As for Kartana, it's pretty good too, as all the gas have something to do with prize cards. I can't wait for Xurkitree GX

Seeing all these UB cards is cool. But with Celesteela being my favorite UB, I'm really hoping that her GX attack is as good as Guzzlord or Kartana's.

• Kartana GX - 5 Geodudes. Searchable Enhanced Hammer, An attack that is like a Shaymin that escapes the KO and reusing the ability again, The GX that gives you an advantage in the late game.
  • Regice - Another fuel for Regigigas. Blocks Broski and Metagross, and forgot the attack. 3 Geodudes

Yeah Broski!! I can't wait till Regirock and Regigigas come out for SM4, so they can work together with regime and registeel. I'm so excited!

Kartana+Hoopa Shining legends. Hit and run, promote hoopa then prevent ex's and gx's from taking any prizes.

Whilst that's good, it's not completely invulnerable - Decidueye-GX would be able to get around it since Feather Arrow is an ability that places damage counters, and not an attack that deals a set amount of damage. So even if you couldn't attack, having the right amount of Decidueye-GX on the bench would take Hoopa down in two turns. There's also Lunala-GX and Lunar Fall, which whilst it means it'd be using the GX move, can snipe Hoopa as well.

Not saying it to sound like I'm nitpicking, but it's just looking at it from a technical viewpoint. Combos like this work great, no doubts about that, but they always have to have a loophole to stop them from being downright broken.

Kartana kind of bugs me a bit. I don't think cards cards like this should easily interact with a win condition like that and for a single Energy too. It should have cost like three energy to use.

I think it's intentionally designed to punish people who play things like Vulpix and other throwaway one prize cards for the 7 prize game. Throw away a pokemon like that in the early game and you leave yourself open to someone pulling off the kartana/rainbow combo in the late game.

Kartana kind of bugs me a bit. I don't think cards cards like this should easily interact with a win condition like that and for a single Energy too. It should have cost like three energy to use.

It costs a single energy and your GX attack, which, in terms of opportunity cost, means you're kind of losing a prize by using kartana's instead of one that can ohko a gx/ex.

Whilst that's good, it's not completely invulnerable - Decidueye-GX would be able to get around it since Feather Arrow is an ability that places damage counters, and not an attack that deals a set amount of damage. So even if you couldn't attack, having the right amount of Decidueye-GX on the bench would take Hoopa down in two turns. There's also Lunala-GX and Lunar Fall, which whilst it means it'd be using the GX move, can snipe Hoopa as well.

Not saying it to sound like I'm nitpicking, but it's just looking at it from a technical viewpoint. Combos like this work great, no doubts about that, but they always have to have a loophole to stop them from being downright broken.
Hoopa is still unaffected by Lunar Fall because its ability prevents all effects of attacks (including damage) done to it by EXs and GXs.

It costs a single energy and your GX attack, which, in terms of opportunity cost, means you're kind of losing a prize by using kartana's instead of one that can ohko a gx/ex.

Its never a good idea to have such easy access to a win condition. Taking one prize card often requires like five or more cards.

Kartana looks really fun to play with Shield Energy and Fighting Fury Belt! I'm looking forward to playing it! :)

Its never a good idea to have such easy access to a win condition. Taking one prize card often requires like five or more cards.

I am cautiously optimistic here:

Remember, it doesn't provide easy access to a win condition, it provides easy access to one-sixth of a win condition. At the very least, it isn't as potent as it looks when you consider a GX-attack is likely to score a OHKO anyway. Most of those cost more Energy, however, but are good at OHKOing 2-Prize targets. So, again, I am not sure if it will all balance out. I think google (over on Youtube) made a good point; this is a card a deck already capable of covering the attack cost will run as a single to win games... but only those that can easily be won by taking five Prizes plus one. Used poorly, your opponent just forces you into a seven Prize game, meaning the GX-attack was wasted (barring odd exceptions, like needing a particular card from your Prizes).

Now, this could become broken rather easily, or maybe I missed something and it already is. XP

Hoopa is still unaffected by Lunar Fall because its ability prevents all effects of attacks (including damage) done to it by EXs and GXs.
Ah yeah, I overlooked that with the Lunala-GX ^^;

Still, the Decidueye-GX method's still pretty solid.

The HP is too low, even if Volcanion isn't a thing post rotation. The attack is good, good attack against garde.
With all the steel type Pokemon coming out soon it's not gonna be long before steelbox is a thing, well a thing to return from PHF, (RIP Bronzong) but still only good as a tech not quite a deck. It's GX attack is Boss in late game, but could see use in early game, as a quick prize, Maybe as a little bit of pressure on your opponent.

3.5/5 in my opinion, anybody agree/disagree with me?

And I thought the edginess was going to stop at Burning Shadows. But now we've got full art Gladion and the literal edgy Pokemon. At this rate, the edge will be able to cut even the most powerful of rock. It's just that edgy.

Back