Contest June/July 2023 CaC: Special Energy Swap (All Results Up!)

References:
Erika's Charity ("If [that Pokémon] attacks...")
Dark Machoke ("Before doing damage...)
A tentative reference to Agility ("... that attack's effects, including damage...")
Metal Energy ("If the Pokémon... attacks the Defending Pokémon.")
Misty's Staryu/Brock's Sandslash ("isn't affected... effects on the Defending Pokémon)
This card is meant to release in Team Rocket, along with Rainbow Energy, Potion Energy, and Full Heal Energy. However, for the sake of discussion you could assume it was reprinted with the latter two in Legendary Collection, which would make it fair game for the entire Wizards of the Coast era, with the exceptions of Base, Base-Jungle, Base-Fossil, and e-card block. That's a fairly large range, but anything outside that is no-go thanks to the wording "Pokémon Powers." You could argue that the card was reprinted with errata, but I leave it up to you to determine if precedent for any sort errata outside of a full rename exists.
(I put this here to set it apart from the giant wall of text that follows.)
Let's face it. The original Double Colorless Energy doesn't have the words "Special Energy" printed on it. It was not declared to *be* a Special Energy until Pokémon had the idea of creating *more* energy that "doesn't count as a basic Energy card." So while Double Colorless Energy was technically affected by Light Golduck, Light Dragonite, and Smoochum going forward, we can't honestly say Base Set was the set that created Special Energy. That title goes to Team Rocket.

The Special Energy in Team Rocket can be divided into two thematic categories: I like to call these categories "element" and "effect." The "element" Special Energy card, Rainbow Energy, is thematically tied to Double Colorless Energy by a play on color and the balancing of increased Energy cost fulfillment utility with a downside. Double Colorless's downside is... well, it's not colored Energy, and that's about it. Hence the complaint that DCE breaks... everything it touches. (*Laughs in Garchomp C Lv.X.*) Rainbow Energy's downside is that it places a damage counter, which, in that era, was nothing to sneeze at, though it was a worthwhile tradeoff in deck's like Base-Rocket's Dodrio Potpouri or Venusaur in Base-Rocket and later.
The other class of Special Energy is "effect." These Special Energy were based off of healing items from the games (both of which also had TCG representations) and had an effect that healed your Pokémon by removing a damage counter (Potion Energy) or removing a Special Energy (Full Heal Energy).

Having divided the Special Energy era into these two categories, I at first decided to create an "effect" class Energy. And to a certain extent, I have, but I deviated from the "healing item" mold I had created for this category for a few reasons. First, I quickly realized this would essentially limit me to one-line effects like "when you attach this card from your hand to one of your Pokémon, remove all effects from that Pokémon" (this was actually my first draft for a submission, which I planned on calling "Ether Energy," in honor of the medicinal item of that name). I know Pokémon Ranger was a great card, but it felt weird extending the card to only affect the Active, and while another person could certainly design around it, it's most practical application in standard would be to break through Magmar's Smoke Screen, for which purpose it probably wouldn't be worth the space as a one-time effect.

All this time I had a nagging itch in the back of my mind. A day or two into brainstorming, I realized I wanted, if possible, to create a counter to Mr. Mime from Jungle, one of my least favorite cards to play against. In fact, players from as far back as Jungle have shared similar sentiments on this card. Then inspiration hit me: rather than focus on a medicinal item, I decided to focus on a key item: Silph Scope. After all, what better way could there be to unmask Mr. Mime than by unmasking its invisible wall?

I chose to design this effect with Swift as the base line of text. At first I removed the "Weakness" and "Resistance" from the effect to make it more focused. Getting through cards like Mr. Mime JU and Haunter FO is a good effect to have, especially in Prop 15/3, where Mr. Mime may be one of the most degenerate cards in the card pool (especially when paired with Alakazam, Chansey, Pokémon Center, and, as an upgrade from its Base-Jungle debut, Sabrina's Golduck). This limits a few archetypes from Prop 15/3, including the aforementioned stall deck and a Brock's Mankey trapper/Brock's Golbat spread deck, the latter of which runs both Mr. Mime and Haunter. This, I realized, was still a little niche, so I decided to add the resistance clause back in to reference foresight and odor sleuth--alternative means of unmasking ghost type Pokémon, as well the general act of moving barriers (resistance walls a lot of attacks in this format). This, I reasoned, would help the card see more play outside of Prop 15/3, such as by enabling Grass types to actually do more than lightly graze Steel types. At that point I realized I would be unleashing a monster if I didn't restore the word "Weakness" to the base formula, since the card would essentially negate the skill of playing around resistance when building around Pokémon that have any Colorless Energy in their attack costs. It doesn't rule out the option of retreating to bump the Silph Scope Energy, but that option is probably harmless enough, and restores a healthy dose of sequencing to the format.

I meticulously pruned the wording so that this Energy allows you to get past Haunter FO's Transparency as well as Mr. Mime JU's Invisible Wall. (Note that Suicune N2 Holo is also included on this list, which is probably more relevant in Japan's Hall of Fame format than in any international format, since I've seen Japanese Rain Dance lists that run Suicune N2 Holo, but can only find the non-Holo one listed on ptcgarchive and see no Suicune N2 whatsoever listed on Jason Klaczynski's blog.)

Here is my reference for the effect that lets the Pokémon's attacks go through Invisible Wall:
Swift: This attack’s damage isn’t affected by Weakness, Resistance, Pokémon Powers, or any other effects on the Defending Pokémon.
And here's an important ruling on why this works:
Q. If I use Misty's Staryu's Swift attack or Neo: Genesis' Electabuzz's Swift attack and I attach PlusPowers, will it go through Invisible Wall?
A. The Swift attack ignores Invisible Wall regardless of the PlusPower being added on. (Aug 31, 2000 WotC Chat, Q85; Dec 21, 2000 WotC Chat, Q111 & Q112)

(Also, theoretically, you could use this card for an era prior to when it was created. Would that be legal, @Jabberwock?)
That would also be totally fine; I'll add a clarification to the FAQ.

When will the results for the special energy half of the contest be posted? I'm not being impatient I was just wondering if it would be at the end of June or the end of July
Both sets of results will be posted together at the end of July. PMJ and I are working on them now, but since we sometimes suggest routes for expansion in our scores, the intent is that you won't be able to see our notes for the Special Energy you receive from somebody else. (You can still reference the original creator's notes if you want, though!)

That would also be totally fine; I'll add a clarification to the FAQ.

Both sets of results will be posted together at the end of July. PMJ and I are working on them now, but since we sometimes suggest routes for expansion in our scores, the intent is that you won't be able to see our notes for the Special Energy you receive from somebody else. (You can still reference the original creator's notes if you want, though!)
Thanks, Jabberwock! I realized I had another question, though:
anything outside that is no-go thanks to the wording "Pokémon Powers." You could argue that the card was reprinted with errata, but I leave it up to you to determine if precedent for any sort errata outside of a full rename exists.
Could someone ignore era-specific benchmarks like "Pokemon Powers" when creating cards for eras outside the era which the Special Energy was designed for?
Hope these questions have been helpful and not annoying. Thanks for judging this round after what happened with your computer last month. I'm sure it hasn't been easy keeping up.

my CaC entry is HERE! super excited for the next part of the competition.
vileenergy.png
As soon as the theme dropped, I knew I wanted to do a monotype special energy. I really like the idea of exclusive effects in the form of energy, which is made to be typed! I really like the poison archetype in standard and GLC, so I decided to make a piece of support for it exclusive to the type that uses poison the most. The damage boost felt appropriate considering that kicking someone harder while they're down felt like a pretty nasty thing to do (along with the move Venoshock and ability Merciless in the video games achieving similar results). The art for this one was... Well, it was a struggle. I spent much more time than I'd like trying different colors for the orb, effects for the background, and ways to differentiate the orb until I eventually had to stop myself from messing with them for another week. I REALLY like the effect the scratched metal texture has on the art, it's super tasty and sinister. I don't think I'm winning CaC with this card, but I think it was a great first effort!
Escape Energy

As long as this card is attached to a Pokémon, it provides [C] Energy.

If the Pokémon this card is attached to is in the Active Spot and is damaged by an attack from your opponent’s Pokémon, you may discard this card. If you do, switch your Active Pokémon with 1 of your Benched Pokémon.
This text entry really eluded me. I came up with my image idea pretty close to the start of the month, but THIS ONE. This took me until yesterday to think of and today to rewrite! I think it's a pretty interesting effect, letting you switch at the end of your opponent's turn to start your turn with the Pokémon you want in the Active Spot. Honestly, not a ton to say with this one, but I think there are some pretty interesting ideas to be had with this card! Excited to see what someone does with it :)

KPCAC20_Resurrection_Energy.png
Carracosta-GX SM239 "Put any number of Pokémon that evolve from Unidentified Fossil from your discard pile onto your Bench."
Skiploom LOT#13 "...put this Pokémon and all cards attached to it in the Lost Zone..."
Giratina LOT#97 "...you may put it onto your Bench..."
Marshadow UNB#81 "If you do, discard this Pokémon..."
Ah, fossils. The only thing they're known for is being unfun. Whether that's the era of Fossil Aerodactyl shutting off all Evolution, the Fossil stall days of the EX era, or the clunky Restored mechanic of BW, they're either preventing your opponent from playing the game, or so utterly terrible they aren't worth playing. It's so much investment for not a lot of payoff.

Presenting Resurrection Energy.

It's designed to keep your guys around, at the cost of your Energy attachment for turn. You do need a Bench space for it, but cards like Omastar TEU don't mind. Perhaps this would give you a reason to play Bastiodon UPR. I just want to see some Fossil action, so hopefully this will help that along.

Shatter Energy - Special Energy

This card provides [C] Energy. When you attach this card from your hand to 1 of your Pokémon BREAK, devolve it by discarding the highest Stage Evolution card from it. (That Pokémon can't evolve this turn.) If you do, heal all damage from that Pokémon.
Rainbow Energy XY#131 "This card provides [C] Energy...when you attach this card from your hand to 1 of your Pokémon..."
Max Potion BKP#108 "Heal all damage from 1 of your Pokémon."
Devolution Spray FCO#95 "Devolve 1 of your evolved Pokémon and put the highest Stage Evolution card on it into your hand. (That Pokémon can’t evolve this turn.)"
Did you know that there isn't a single support card that was ever printed for Pokémon BREAK? Not once. I decided to rectify that with this entry. It might be a bit much to assume that a BREAK is going to survive a turn, but healing is always powerful, and the format already has Max Potion. Hoping this will spark some creativity in one of the TCG's most underappreciated mechanics.

Could someone ignore era-specific benchmarks like "Pokemon Powers" when creating cards for eras outside the era which the Special Energy was designed for?
PMJ discussed this today and we're going to say yes, within reason. When Special Energy get reprinted, often minor things like this do get changed (e.g. "Pokémon Power" --> "Poké-Power or Poké-Body" --> "Ability"). You'll be able to make small changes like this if you want to work in a different era — though some changes will risk more Believability/Playability points than others. We'll try and point these out for specific cases when we send out the Special Energy cards.
Hope these questions have been helpful and not annoying. Thanks for judging this round after what happened with your computer last month. I'm sure it hasn't been easy keeping up.
Always okay to ask questions. Happy to say my computer situation is much better this month. :)

=====

Aaaand that's a wrap on the first part of this round! We're in the process of shuffling entries and sending them back out now. Stay tuned!

All text entries have been shuffled and swapped. Here's how things turned out:

1. I Like Shorts - Charmaster:) (Silph Scope Energy)
2. Wolf Raider - NinJamezor (Remnant Energy)
3. NinJamezor - I Like Shorts (Vengeance Energy)
4. Falling Skies - Wolf Raider (Fossil Mix Energy)
5. LightningSpence836 - Falling Skies (Cyclic Energy)
6. FireLizard - doofisconfused (Escape Energy)
7. Charmaster:) - LightningSpence836 (Everstone Energy)
8. doofisconfused - Kaleidophoenix (Shatter Energy)
9. Kaleidophoenix - FireLizard (Equipment Energy)

Remember that for this month, your job is to create a Pokemon that utilizes the Energy you've been given. You are more than welcome to talk to the person who made your Energy or anyone else for help or inspiration. The fine folks in our Discord would be more than happy to see you :)

Image based entries have also been shuffled and sent out. Here's the list:
  1. @Kaleidophoenix - @Charmaster:) (Protean Energy)
  2. @doofisconfused - @PMJ (Star Energy)
  3. @Diego_Brando - @Mr. Melon (Recursive Energy)
  4. @NinJamezor - @bbninjas (δ Alien Energy)
  5. @PMJ - @NinJamezor (Unbreakable Bond Energy)
  6. @Mr. Melon - @doofisconfused (Vile [D] Energy)
  7. @bbninjas - @Kaleidophoenix (Resurrection Energy)
  8. @Charmaster:) - @Diego_Brando (Overflow Energy)
As a reminder to everyone, you're free to imagine the Special Energy card you received in any era you choose when making your Pokémon card this month, but the card pool in different eras may mean the Special Energy card is balanced differently depending on your choice. If you choose a different era, it is assumed the Special Energy card is being reprinted without modification unless we told you otherwise via PM.

Let us know if any questions come up. Good luck to everyone this month! :)

When you are finished with your entry, post it in this thread the same as you normally would.

This is my multicoloured entry
Xerneas VSTAR HP: 250 [P]

Spr_7s_716.png VSTAR - Evolves from Xerneas V
Spr_7s_716.png
Ability: Bypass Boost
If this attack’s damage is not affected by any effects on the Defending Pokémon, this Pokémon’s attacks do 30 more damage to your opponent’s Active Pokémon.

[P][C] Cross Horns 30x
Discard any amount of Energy from this Pokémon. This attack does 30 damage for each card you discarded in this way.

===================VSTAR Power===================
[P][P][C] Miracle Star 170
Is this Pokémon's Ability is in effect, this attack also does 100 damage to three of your opponent’s Benched Pokémon.

Weakness: [M] x2
Resistance:
Retreat: [C][C]

When your Pokémon VSTAR is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.
I can't be bothered to make a list of references so this is all you're getting.

Text Energy entries have been judged. Five of you scored more than 40 points for your Energy, which is fantastic work. I really enjoyed the stuff you came up with and I'm excited to see the Pokemon.

If you're worried that you didn't land yourself in the top 5, don't worry! You have all month to submit your Pokemon. Take your time, especially with wording, as that is where many of you trip up. If you're an image contestant, I know I will personally help you with wording or placements as best I'm able, and I'm sure the folks in the Discord would be willing to lend a hand to text folks too. @Holy Star managed to take the dub over me in image one month thanks to us going over his entry with a fine-toothed comb and I would love to see you guys do the same.

My Photoshop skills have always been a cut below some of the other folks in our Discord. When I got saddled with the one Energy card that would necessarily force me to make a Pokemon-EX, I was tempted to just phone it in and take the L, but I decided to not bitch out and actually give it a try. This is the result.

mewtwtwtwtw.png
unbreakable-bond-energy_3-png.17712

Unbreakable Bond Energy by @NinJamezor

Okay, first, why Mewtwo?

I think Mewtwo was really the only viable Pokemon choice here. I didn't want to have to rely on other fake cards (like a theoretical Absol Spirit Link, which oddly enough is the only one we never got), so that meant sticking with Pokemon who actually had existing Mega Evolutions. Mewtwo was given two of them; the Y flavor was insanely powerful and a terror of the meta; while X was a cute little housewife who stayed home in the binder and made sure the house was clean while Y was out slaughtering the masses.

It wasn't all bad news for X, though. With a fat 230 HP and a 200-damage, defense piercing attack in Vanishing Strike, it definitely had the power to tussle with the big boys. Unfortunately, that superb attack damage and effect came with an absolutely awful attack cost of PFFC. Even with Dimension Valley's help, that cost was brutal to pay. It didn't help that Y was a much simpler attacker, being able to take advantage of Double Colorless Energy to reach some truly absurd damage amounts, so X kinda fell by the wayside.

With Unbreakable Bond Energy providing specific benefits for Mega Evolution Pokemon, and providing Energy of all colors, I aimed to help balance the scales a bit in X's favor. Y can also use this card, but considering that it generally wants to stack DCE on it as fast as it can, it probably wouldn't use Unbreakable Bond Energy as much. It can, however, make use of it, which I see as a bonus. The fact that there are two Mega Mewtwo, and that Unbreakable Bond Energy can help them both, makes X much easier to play and can cause mind games for your opponent.

All right, now I can actually talk about the card itself. Mewtwo got a ton of love in the XY era; over its lifespan, Mega Mewtwo was able to be used with all four Mewtwo-EX, which meant there was some stiff competition for my own card. Due to Shrine of Memories existing, choosing which Mewtwo-EX to evolve from was actually important. The Damage Change one was the most popular choice because, well, Damage Change was busted and offered you a free full cure if they couldn't one-shot you (Y's 210 HP was on the low end of Mega Pokemon, but it was still bulky enough to take a hit). Photon Wave's damage reduction was pretty cool if you could hit it early, but the utility of Damage Change meant that particular flavor of Mewtwo-EX wasn't seen nearly as often. The Evolutions print was garbage (like the rest of the set), and while Psychic Infinity is literally just X Ball on steroids, X Ball is still worth considering in the event you are playing X and don't have the Energy to use Vanishing Strike.

Since Damage Change is the gold standard for Mewtwo-EX, I needed a really good reason to use my card over that one. Hopefully, my card offers two. One thing that Mewtwo can't do is accelerate Energy to itself, and considering what Psychic Infinity does, that's probably a good thing; however, I think that being able to have a one-time boost makes my card worthy of consideration over Damage Change. Y wants to ramp up Psychic Infinity's damage as fast as possible, and X needs all the help it can get with that atrocious attack cost, so Right to Rule can help with that and show why Mewtwo is the true god of Pokemon. :] Notably, the Ability lets you pull Special Energy, meaning you could pull Unbreakable Bond Energy directly from the deck. Special Energy search has always been difficult and having a card that can immediately fetch it for you (albeit only on turn 1) is never bad. Already got your Unbreakable Bond Energy attached? No problem, pull a DCE, or some basic Energy, whatever you need. I got you. As a final note about Right to Rule, while the specific wording for Abilities meant to be used explicitly during your first turn didn't show up until Sun & Moon, there really isn't a better way to get that point across, and it's only a single additional word, so no big deal.

The other thing Mewtwo can't do is protect itself from Pokemon-EX. Psybarrier gives you an option to stop other Pokemon-EX right in their tracks. Psybarrier does just enough to OHKO opposing Y, preventing them from stalling you right back (Damage Change will heal them but not harm you), while 2HKOing everything else. Coincidentally, Psybarrier does not protect you from Vanishing Strike, further incentivizing the usage of X by players. Additionally, Psybarrier also doesn't protect from any other Mewtwo-EX to prevent Psybarrier stall matches where neither Mewtwo-EX can hurt the other.

The bottom stats and HP are the same across all the Mewtwo-EX and I don't see a reason to mess with that. Pokemon-EX is written as text here because the symbol was not used until well into Sun & Moon.

Lastly, let's talk about the artwork. The render is by @Nyan; the background is by JFishburnArtworks on dA; the rest I did myself.

XY Pokemon-EX are known for their flashy artwork, with lots of things going on. I've done my best to emulate this somewhat, with the lightning effects going around most of the card. As an extra neat little bonus, I've added an illustration of how I would imagine Mewtwo performing Psybarrier, putting up a defense while simultaneously charging up an attack.

The foil is consistent going across the card, including the rarity symbol (which is pretty hard to see), the EX name symbol, and the background, as well as the border. The upper right part of the card feels kinda plain, but after experimenting with various stuff I feel like I would just be cluttering it for the sake of having something there. Besides, not all Pokemon-EX have the entire card covered, so I figured it was okay.

All right, I think that's it.

References: Meowstic-EX, Emolga-EX, Hippowdon PRC, Hoopa-EX

I guess it's worth mentioning that I didn't talk much about the specific synergy between the two cards, and there isn't a whole lot to say about it. For me, the main draw was making Mega Mewtwo X a little easier to play. Attaching a Supporter card to be given what is essentially Omega Barrier to any Mega Pokemon is incredible (I have won games thanks to people trying to Lysandre my Primal Groudon from the Bench only for them to realize their plans just went up in smoke), and since any existing Mega Pokemon can have this effect, I thought about trying to help one of the more promising ones. As I said, it definitely has all the hallmarks of a good card, but that Energy cost is debilitating. Being able to pay for one of the Energy with Unbreakable Bond Energy and preventing your opponent from gusting it up before you're ready to swing with it is a pretty huge deal.

If I were to make a card of a Pokemon that is from a region prior to it existing (like a Zacian-GX), would that count against me in the believability category?

Jabs might have his own philosophy on this, but here's what I think.

I believe that choosing the right Pokemon can be the difference between a good fake and a great fake. Using your March entry as an example, picking Keldeo in particular isn't really thematic in any way, it's just a Pokemon that happened to fit the criteria you wanted. Your entry could have been a Galarian Zapdos, or a Falinks, or Groudon, or Sudowoodo, or any number of things. It didn't have to be a Keldeo, it just was because you picked Keldeo. I mentioned this philosophy when critiquing Buddy2707's Radiant Trubbish - by focusing on the card's generic attack, "Garbage Collector," he missed a great opportunity to instead focus on the more interesting aspect of the card - sharing Tool effects. Had he used a Pokemon more known for sharing with others, like Blissey, it would have pushed his fake even higher. His fake isn't necessarily worse because he didn't use Blissey - it's still a super cool card on its own merits and well worth the first-place position he earned - but hopefully this illustrates how a seemingly simple decision like that can have massive ramifications.

For CAC, I personally don't like bringing Pokemon into eras in which they didn't or couldn't feasibly exist, simply because there may not be any cards that exist to bring them into play. For example, a DP-era Annihilape would be much easier to stomach than, say, a Baxcalibur, because Mankey and Primeape cards already exist. We can use those to help determine if a card would be broken if played with a certain printing of Mankey, for example. This is impossible to do with Baxcalibur because we are forced to assume that any Frigibax would be both not broken with your fake but also is not powerful enough to influence it, and that's really not fun to do as a faker. Part of the joy of making new evolutions for existing cards is to possibly get some mileage out of something that you might not have before.

There is certainly nothing wrong with making a DP-era Baxcalibur, but to that I go back to my first point about choosing the right Pokemon for the situation. Do you have to pick Baxcalibur here? What's the theming around your card? Could you use a different Stage 2 Water or Dragon Pokemon instead of this one? Or even that type at all? Maybe Baxcalibur really is the perfect choice, like Charmaster's choice of Glalie for his entry that month. If that's the case, then by all means do it. A fantastic marriage of theming and Pokemon choice can more than make up for the slight lack of believability. But since there are over a thousand Pokemon now, chances are pretty good that as cool as you think your choice of Pokemon is, there is probably an even better one. Especially since all this is just text anyway lol

tl;dr I won't dock for it but if you try a little harder you can probably avoid this problem altogether.

Golisopod HP130 [G]

Stage 1-Evolves from Wimpod

[Ability] Tactical Escape

Whenever this Pokémon gets switched by the effect of Escape Energy, put that Energy card into your hand instead of the discard pile.

[C] [C] [C] Sneaky Slithering 90+

This Pokemon can use this attack even when it is on the Bench. If it is,this attack does 80 more damage and switch this Pokémon with your Active Pokémon.

Weakness: [R]X2
Resistance:None
Retreat Cost:[C] [C] [C]

So I've got @doofisconfused 's Escape Energy for this CaC's second round,and since it has Escape in its name I thought Golisopod would be a great choice.My main objective was to make repetitive high damage numbers without being so broke(that's why Golisopod's attack can do only 170 damage,150 with Double Turbo Energy).Sneaky Slithering works the same as Alakazam ex's attack,except it does more damage when Golisopod is on the damage.Not expecting to be 100% playable,but I hope it's good enough.
I mean I'm not a TGC expert.
Thank you for coming to my TED Talk!

Aurorus.png
My CaC entry! Resurrection Energy makes fossil Pokemon viable, and so I've designed Aurorus to be a primary attacker. It's Ability uses spare Resurrection Energy to set up the supporting Stage 2s you need to get the most of your attack. Era is SM.

Some ref: Hitmontop UNB, Phantump RCL, Gothitelle GRI

Helioliskcac.png
For this card I got bbninjas' Alien Energy, so I wanted to lean further into the lore of its art, an energy in the middle of a desert landscape. Given that the effect of Alien energy changed the typing of the Pokémon it was attached to to its weakness, I wondered what sort of Pokémon could hit for good weaknesses in the ex-era while also match the flavor of the Special Energy card. Thus, I chose Heliolisk, able to hit for Electric normally or Fighting damage as an option, while also being a pokémon that would fit right at home in a desert region.

The Poké-Body was designed to tie into the art, where Heliolisk has found Elgyem in the desert and decides to protect it. As the pokémon Alien Energy is attached to becomes delta species, I imagined the delta species pokémon in a hypothetical set with Alien Energy would be tied to alien lifeforms like Elgyem possibly crash-landing in the desert or being discovered there. Just like how Heliolisk is protecting Elgyem, the Poké-Body provides protection to delta species pokémon while Heliolisk is fighting in the Active.

Solar Charge is straightforward, as Heliolisk can use its frill essentially as a solar panel. Sunlight isn't exactly hard to find in the desert, and perhaps that's what Heliolisk was doing before it found Elgyem. It makes for a easy way to find that [L] Energy for Conservation Bolt if using energy not providing [L].

Conservation Bolt is really Heliolisk's signature. It can help set up your bench in combination with Solar Charge, charging up Heliolisk and then moving that Energy to another Pokémon for later. With Alien Energy attached, you can essentially choose between dealing fighting damage (making use of cards like Gyarados, Feraligatr, or other cards helping delta pokemon) or lightning damage (with an extra protection bonus to the benched Pokémon Alien Energy would then be attached to).

some refs: Medicham PK, Cloyster DF, Jynx UF, Electrike DX, Feraligatr DF, Raichu RG, Tyranitar DS
[STAGE1] Weavile HP100 [D]
Evolves from Sneasel

weavile.pngillus. Ken Sugimori

NO. 461 Sharp Claw Pokémon HT: 3’7” WT: 75 lbs.

[ABILITY] Villainous Tactics
You must discard a Pokémon from your hand in order to use this ability. When you play this Pokémon from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokémon during your turn, you may attach an Energy card from your discard pile to it.

[D][C] Nasty Vengeance 40
Search your deck for a card and put it into your hand. If any of your Pokémon were Knocked Out during your opponent’s last turn, instead search for up to 3 cards and put them into your hand. Then, shuffle your deck.

Weakness: [G] x2
Resistance:
Retreat Cost: [C]
They attack their quarry in packs. Prey as large as Mamoswine easily fall to the teamwork of a group of Weavile.
[NJPR04] (Pr)
My first SWSH fake! I got I Like Shorts' Vengeance Energy, a card that seemed very useful and splashable in a lot of decks, so I had to think of a reason why someone would want to pick the card I would create over all the other ones in the SWSH era. Cards like Blissey V or the baby Galar Bird Trio come to mind (Blissey being particularly insane, holy smokes). But those are useful for getting Energy onto them (and Blissey V for recycling Vengeance Energy), and not the other part of the Energy: getting the Pokémon in the discard pile in the first place. So what Pokémon is the king of throwing them in there? In my mind, it's Weavile PLF and its Vilify attack, so I chose to make this card a Weavile. Being a Weavile also allows the use of Sneasel CRE, which can be easily sought out by Brawly or Sobble and increase consistency.

Villainous Tactics is meant to get the basic pokemon you want to use for Vengeance Energy in the discard pile, while also recycling Vengeance Energy to use. And on a Stage 1 Pokémon, it takes a bit more time to recycle energy and the ability than a similar ability would on a Basic Pokémon. In all, it's a streamlined way to help chain those attacks in the discard pile multiple times.

For Nasty Vengeance, I wanted a support attack that could play into the "vengeance" flavor of the Energy. Many Pokémon with "Vengeful" or "Revenge" attacks deal with damage counters on Benched Pokémon, your opponent's taken Prize cards, or Pokémon that were just Knocked Out. As Vengeance Energy uses the attack of a Pokémon in the discard pile, i chose to go with an attack that is very helpful in that short window of time just after the knockout of your active Pokémon. Regular nasty plot often searches for 2 cards for a single energy (even on Weavile CRE!), so i made a 2-cost attack that dealt some damage (maybe even low?). But the ability to search for any 1 card, and a possible 3 if 1 of your pokémon is knocked out, seemed like a fair balance.

some refs: Froslass CRE, Cinderace SSH, Cresselia CRE, Weavile CRE

One week left to submit your entries. We've been seeing a lot of help going on in the Discord server, helping people fine-tune their entries for maximum scoreage. Feel free to stop on by!

Back