Jumpluff from HeartGold & SoulSilver (#6), 4/2/2010

dmaster

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
6-jumpluff.jpg

Guiding questions:
1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or have potential? Is it worth being played?
2. What popular metagame decks is it used in?
3. What combos can you use it with? How so?
4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).
5. How's the artwork?

Posts MUST be several sentences long with proper grammar and spelling or they will be deleted - this forum is to discuss specific cards so other people can learn about their potential in the current metagame.

RE: Jumpluff from Heartgold and Soulsilver (#6), 4/2/2010

1. This is an amazing attacker and with anything on it's bench can be a very good attacker for 1 energy.

2. It can be used on its own with techs like Cherrim or Luxray GL Lv.X

3. Just about anything. THe bigger the bench the better. Common ones are Cherrim SF and Luxray GL Lv.X

4. I give it a 4.5 Beacuse it's a great attacker for 1 energy and can do good against alot of the meta decks. -0.5 beacuse of the low HP

5. 5/5 Pretty sweep TBH.

First!

1: YES! for only ONE energy you can do a lot of damage if you have a lot of pokemon in play or defend yourself from the next attack.
2: i still don't know what a metegame is...
3: with sky shaymin and cherrim because his hp is low for a 2 stage pokemon.
4: "4" i see a lot of potential in this card and will soon see it in grass decks but i can easily knockout this pokemon and i lose all the time.
5: sui deserves a cookie!

1. How does this card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or has potential?

Jumpluff can be pretty cool on its own. Its attack that can do lots of damage for a single energy is especially why. If all 6 Pokemon are out on each side, you do 120 damage for only a single energy. This can be quite a destructive attack. Put Expert Belt and this Pokemon will hit even more. It really can be good on its own.

The main deck right now that uses Jumpluff is a deck I like to call Luxpluff. The deck is basically using Jumpluff as an attacker and Luxray GL Lv.X in a fashion like Gust of Wind. The strategy is simple. Make sure you have lots of Pokemon out (or have Expert Belt on Jumpluff), use Luxray GL Lv.X's Poke-Power to bring out something you want to KO with Jumpluff, and then simply bring out Jumpluff to knock out the Pokemon for massive damage for a single energy. Jumpluff/Luxray can indeed be quite a noteworthy deck.

3. What comboes can you use it with? How so?

Obviously I would try too put a 1-1 line of Luxray GL because of Bright Look. I would also put in Crobat G and Expert Belt to increase Jumpluff's attack to the maximum potential. It would also be quite a nice idea to put some Cherrims from either Stormfront or Arceus. If you choose Cherrim from Stormfront, this Pokemon will further increase Jumpluff's main attack you'll be using a lot. If you choose Cherrim from Arceus, this Cherrim will help to reduce damage from attacks done to Jumpluff, making up the bad HP Jumpluff has.

4. Give it a rating, and explain why you would give it that rating.

I would give this Jumpluff a 4/5 in the modified. Mass Attack is just one very nice attack. Running cards like Cherrim SF, Crobat G, and Expert Belt can make this card become a far more monstrous attacker, and even putting in something like Luxray GL really turns this Jumpluff into a really nice hitter. Be aware about Jumpluff's low HP though, so make sure you have something to make this up.

5. How's the artwork?

I would say that this artwork looks pretty decent. Unfortunately, this isn't the best artwork in HS. Still, the Jumpluff artwork on this card is quite nice.

1. On its own, this card is decent. It needs some assistance such as Pokemon Collector or Pachirisu (GE) to really shine. Adding this to Beedrill would be unholy.

2. Jumpluff has uses in its own namesake deck :p. Also, I've seen it used in Grass Toolbox builds as a secondary attacker if Tangrowth isn't working out.

3. It can be comboed defensively with Thankfulness Shaymin Lv. X and Cherrim (Cloudy Sky). It can be comboed offensively with Cherrim (Sunny Day) and other bench fillers. And while this isn't a combo, Expert Belt allows Jumpluff to hit for 140, taking out SPs and PRIMES left and right.

4. Jumpluff is close to perfect. More HP would BREAK the card, so keeping it at 90 is the only thing keeping it from being used EVERYWHERE (imo). I'll give it a 9 of 10.

5. The art on Jumpluff is nice since Jumpluff is supposed to be this happy fluffball, but the background looks a bit muted and almost makes the picture look like it's underwater.

I've played the deck, and it is a really fun deck when it gets going.

ME: "Jumpluff attacks Typhlosion PRIME for 140"
Him: "OUCH!"
Somebody in Background: "WHAT?"
ME: "Yeah, Jumpluff attacks for 140. 12 Pokemon out and Expert Belt. Oh, and it's got 150 HP and no Weakness."
Somebody in Background, now actually watching the match: (Laughs like a maniac)

I won before my opponenet took a prize.

Jumpluff is an amazing card in our format! Although for this card to be played competitvely in our meta there are some techs and specification you *HAVE* to play it with.

1.) Jumpluff defiantly stands on it's own because it is a stage 2 with only 90 Hp. Although this is a downside it has more ups than down so I would say it has tons of potential, and it would be worth playing!

2.) Jumpluff is currently only played in one competitive meta deck witch is Jumpluff/Luxray. I will go into the deck below.

3.) Jumpluff combos great with Luxray GL X. The only reason Luxray GL X is played in the deck is because of it's Poke-Power, "Bright Look" with allows you to switch your opponents active Pokemon with one of there bench Pokemon. Some of you less experience players are probably wondering why this is good, the only reason it's good is because of Mr. Mime. If you have ever seen Mr.Mime (MT) he has an Poke-Body call, "Airy Wall" with basically says if your opponent has 2 or less energy cards attached you can't attach Mr.Mime (although Mr.Mime can still be affected by effects of attacks unless Mime Jr. is under or Unown G is attached) so the object of the Luxray GL X is to force a switch so Jumpluff is clear to attach.

4.) I would rate Jumpluff 3 out of 5 because it is currently not widely played but it certainly has potential as our meta shifts. As of now about the only way to play it half competitive is to play it with Luxray GL X but once Mr.Mime is out of circulation there will be more techs you add to Jumpluff builds that will most likely make it more playable in the future.

5.) I really have no opinion on the artwork I usually ignore it unless it is really eye popping, otherwise I assume it's just there to place dice and/or damage counters on.

1. This card is amazing on its own. With all that power because it's already going to do 20 no matter what. if you have anything else, it'll just do more. Perfect, right? It certainly is!

2. Jumpluff can be used with Cherrim, Luxray GL Lv. X, Landmin, etc.

3. Jumpluff can be used with Cherrim SF, because it gives it an extra 10 damage, making a total of 20 for one Pokémon. Shaymin and/or Expert belt can give Jumpluff more HP, making it harder to knock out.

4. I give Jumpluff HG a 5/5 actually. The low HP can be compensated, so that's not a huge problem. Free retreat is a big thing, and resistance to fighting can counter those pesky Machamps and Donphan.

5. The artwork is actually pretty cool. I like it.

1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or have potential? Is it worth being played?
Saw it in Hamburg at the States and wasn't to happy about it. No stronguilds...
I has potential when the player knows what to do and it's the maybe hardest hitter at the moment.

It has it own deck, so I assume you don't need to say anthing here :p

Nearly everything with grass pokémon, maybe with honeycomb? You also can add other things like Luxray GL Lv. X and many more!

4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).
4 out of 5. The trick with Mr. Mime is to hard and also a early Spiritomb can slow you down.
The fact that you only have 90 HP is not quit neat.
Nice is the 0 Energy Reatreat and Fire Weakness since Fire is really a rare Pokémon Element in competiv play. Then you got the fightning resistence against donphan and you have everything you want.
The low hp of your basic Pokémon is also a problem, if you're not fast enough, it's a easy KHO for SP.
Still there's missing something...You need to go further into mid game to deal the damage you want to deal.

5. How's the artwork?
I hardly like the artwork....The background I think, is better than the Pokémonart, it shouldn't be such a mix of styles.

Once a Hoppip hits the bench, the other player will be hesitant to play more pokemon. Why? Because of this guy.

What was PCL thinking? "Let's make a Jumpluff that attacks for one energy, with a damage variable being the number of pokemon in play. And while we're at it, let's allow it to retreat for free." The modified format currently has numerous fast pokemon that do a lot of damage, and if Jumpluff doesn't take the cake, it comes close.

Sure, it can stand alone. But no, you're sadistic. Cherrim from Stormfront increases its damage potential even more, but you can also go with the Arceus Cherrim to give this card some needed defense. Land Shaymin lv X from Platinum brings it's HP to 130, which is also nice. That Luxray GL lv X from your Beedrill deck does the same thing here, using Bright Look to bring up a benched pokemon that you'd rather have Jumpluff KO. Pokemon Collector is an excellent Supporter for a Jumpluff deck, allowing you to quickly fill up your bench while also increasing Jumpluffs attack damage. You can also increase this card's damage output with Expert Belt, but you should hold on to it when it's not necessary, lest the opponent score an extra prize card.

Remember to kill something with Leaf Guard whenever possible. It's easy to get carried away and KO things with Mass Attack, but it would be more practical to KO something with Leaf Guard and enjoy the benefit of a 30 damage buffer.

Okay, now let's kill it. It's very doable. Palkia G lv X's Lost Cyclone will hurt this card's damage output. Each use of Lost Cyclone will bring it's attack damage down to 80, which is still a lot for one energy. If you can do that every turn for several turns, Jumpluff will really suffer in the long run. It's 90 HP means it can be picked off even from the bench with Crobat G and either Palkia G lv X's Hydro Shot or Garchomp C lv X's Dragon Rush, the latter of which is cheaper, uses colorless energy, and benefits from Energy Gain, making it therefore more accessible.

If you're playing Blaziken FB, don't feel comfortable. You won't OHKO it without an Expert Belt, or without using Blaziken FB lv X's Jet Shoot. In either case, you leave yourself open to devastating counterattacks, which is a snap for Jumpluff decks. Most other fire decks may have little problem getting consistent KOs on Jumpluff, but Jumpluff enjoys the fact that none of them are top-tier.

Man, what a beast. Jumpluff from HeartGold and SoulSilver gets a score of 5 out of 5.

Overall, a brutal card with low HP, but does enormous damage for only one energy. It's also disruptive in the sense that you're forcing your opponent to make a difficult choice: Have fewer pokemon in play, or take more damage from Mass Attack. This year at Worlds, this may very well be the card to beat.

in think jumpluff played in the right hands could do massive DMG and chaos to your opponents but most people dont get him to do that fast ebough that ive seen and know

A. very strong card yes it stands on its own can soak up DMg with shaymin or e-belt and D cherrims so yes very good card

B. well for metagames ive only ever seen like 3 in the 2 SPT's i went to (in new england) so for my area no its not booming in popularity but it could givin enough good building of the deck not sure about other meagames

C. here are the combos like most card i cant list em all so ill just run through some
1# with shaymin land form X
2# with luxray GL X
3# with defense cherrim
4# with attack cherrim
5# with spiritomb (lemme guess your saying lol tomb what a nub cake well actually its a very strong strategy because both hoppip and skiploom if you play the older one have attack that deal dmg and send them to the bench your probably thinking well what your going to send up tomb? well yes it can lock many deck like lets say you KO a gyrados then you use that to just keep them from pokemon rescuing it or vs shuppuxie almost a automatic win)
6# a combination with any of the above

D. (****X) 4 out of 5 stars why because well give him 4 because he can soak up hits (with landform shaymin X) deal massive DMG can defend himself so yes a very strong card i wouldn't fell right giving him like 3 or 2 stars because hes better then thatbut wait i just said a tone of good stuff about him whyd i give him 4 and not 5 if hes that good well ill tell yall why there are only a few cards out there without flaws and hes not one his flaw is that he requires techs to be playable sadley this card cant go at it on his own he needs shaymin X or cherrims or luxray GL X so yes unfortunately a great card is always a flawed one but an amazing card isint and this guy just isint in the amazing category so thats why he gets (****X)

E. the artwork well i am very picky about artwork but his isint bad he semms to be next to some sort of spring i do dislike his smile he should be happy i think unless that is happy :p :p :p so for the artwork a good picture not my alltime fav tho

PLUFFELS!!!!!;)

Well...It has actually overwhelmed me because I never thought that a new card
can have the same get in destroy as the base set's and also the tru power house that this card is...awesome!

I think not much if meta potential but it can do a lot of damage for a very, very low cost and also it doesn't require a lot of planing and card playing, thus making a easy beginner deck lead.

Combo madness because it is so easy to use it can support any combo.

{C}{C}{C}{C}{C} out five it is the best i ever seen in it's simpleness.

The artwork is as the card and as it's strategy.

SIMPLE

i just got my butt beat by this guy this morning. unfortunetly, it's job is not to act alone, it needs others to be any good.

i wouldn't use the word popular, but there's a mean PichuPluff out there. other than that nothing.

hgss pichu. everybody fills their bench (if you don't you'll lose anyway) then rare candy, turn two 70-120.

other than that the new babies are what i'd put it with, just to stall.

4.5 because it sets so fast and it's hard to stop.

5. How's the artwork?
abstaining

Mass attack is a really great move and it is strong. This cards has awesome artwork I would give it five ouyt of a possible five stars. I think people will use this card really often. If you guys share the same opinion with me please post and reply the same reasons why or your own reasons.

This cards can also be used with wevile and darkrai so mass attack can do so much more damage while you use Cherrim's Sunny Day to add an additional ten damage to it. USe a sunflora so you can reduce any damage done to it by 20.

You can also use jumpluff with Luxray Gl X in a Sp Deck because Luxray's Bright look and then free retreat should let you force your oppoenent to send out whatever pokemon you want them to so then "Mass Attack" can wipe mout it out.

There are many other strateries with this but i would stick to Luxray Gl X and Jumpluff

Thanks,
Bunny

this card is extremly good. it donks more then any other deck ive ever seen.
low hp is made up by being able to return the ko every turn from t1/t2.
deck is tier 1 and def expect it at regionals.

I play Jumpluff but I've been way too lazy...

Even on it's own, this card is a beast. Let's cover the basics. 90 HP is 40 lower than the average Stage 2, making Jumpluff RIDICULOUSLY frail. Double Fire weakness is OK, with Blazeray slowly dying, but if Charizard becomes as good as it was hyped, this will be a problem. Fightning resistance is sick, and a free retreat is icing on the cake. Both of 'Pluff's attacks cost one {G} energy. Leaf Guard does 30 for one, then reduces damage by 30. Nice. But Mass Attack makes this really shine. 10x the Pokemon in play. At it's most, 120. For one. Kinda like Beedrill, but I'll explain why it's better later.
I wouldn't yet call it popular, but in it's own deck, Jumpluff. This is a main attacker, so the only deck with it will center around it.
A lot. Shaymin Lv. X, for one. It helps Jumpluff's horrific HP. This is what makes 'Pluff better than Speedrill. Speedrill, with 3 benched Bees, has no room for a Shaymin. Jumpluff needs no specific Pokemon, any will do, so it can use a variety of techs. Metapod erases Weakness. Those are the main two, but combos are almost unessecary here, as all you really need is a field full of Pokemon.
I expect to see a lot of these in the future (especially since it will be legal for quite a while). Jumpluff gets a 5/5.
5. How's the artwork?
Amazing. It's just, like, chillin' over a river. Probably not the best in HGSS, but pretty nice.

1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or have potential? Is it worth being played? Not so well...with 90 HP and a fire weakness, it's very frail and needs Expert Belt, etc. Even for it's attack, Expert Belt, Cherrim SF, Pichu HGSS, etc. are needed. In that case, it has potential, and it's worth being played as a donk deck has a lot of room with only a few energy. What also gets me is that Hoppip only has 30 HP. That leaves poor Hoppip being out there for pretty much any kind of attack.
2. What popular metagame decks is it used in? Jumpluff, with some sort of techs.
3. What combos can you use it with? How so? You can use Pichu's Playground to load up your bench with Cherrim and such, Metapod to counter the Fire weakness, Luxray to drag out a Pokemon, etc.
4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars). 4/5. It's a little slow, believe it or not, seeing you need to use Playground in order for really high damage. It's also easily donked, seeing both Pichu and Hoppip have 30 HP, and Jumpluff itself only has 90, one of the lowest stage 2 HP I've seen.
5. How's the artwork? AMAZING!!! It's not like the other crap from the other sets that's computerized, this looks like great watercolor. I also like the lighting and the backround, suits Jumpluff. Just because of that, this makes a great card overall, for collecting and for playing.

It can stand on its own I know this because i have a Jumpluff deck and it is beast. It is defently good what other card can deal 120 damage with one energy unless you use a expert belt.

luxray and cherium but I wouldnt suggest using Cherium because it only reduce or increases by 10 damage
use it with luxray and land form shaymin

4.5 because it is hard to beat and the only thing is the low HP but that can be covered by shaymin

5. How's the artwork?
Its alright not the best

Alone, all it has is donk potential. It needs something else with it to be its best.
The only good popular metagame deck its used in is Luxpluff. It did the second best at regionals.
Cherrim, Shaymin, Metagross, and Luxray GL. Cherrim makes you hit for more, shaymin gives you more hp, metagross lets you switch your opponents active pokemon with one of their benched pokemon and gives every pokemon 20 less hp, Luxray lets jumpluff choose what it attacks.
4.5/5 It would be 5/5 if it had more HP.
5. How's the artwork?
Its the pretty much standard Jumpluff image. It looks almost the exact same as the last one. Its not to creative.

1. It can do as much as 120 damage for 1 energy, as well as 30 damage and reducing damage by 30. Enough said.
2. I've tried playing it with both Gengar and Garchomp C LV.X, and it works pretty well. I would say it goes good in any deck that gets lots of basics on the bench. It works well on it's own, too.
3. Luxray GL and Thankfulness Shaymin are probably the best, but you can pretty much use it in any deck that aims on filling up their bench.
4.5/5. Excellent attack skills, free retreat, resistance to fighting, etc....
5. The artworks awesome!

Back