Ruling 'Judge' Misplay

Jahikoi

Aspiring Trainer
First turn of the game, opponent uses sableye to impersonate. He names judge, so i shuffle my hand and am about to draw when he states... 'oh wait, they're all prized.'

I had already shuffled my hand into my deck. The judge comes over and makes me the loser, because it's MY responsibility not to shuffle it in until I can see the card itself... even though it was obviously his mis-play!

Who should have lost?

It's the judge's decision. Technically you weren't supposed to shuffle your hand into your deck until you actually saw the Judge card. It's very possible for Sableye to yank a card that's prized, and that happens very often. You should have been more attentive.

The opponent can say 'Impersonate Judge', but until he discards that card, that means nothing.

I'd like to add that your opponent should get a warning or higher as well, in addition to you receiving a game loss. I'll try and break everything down to explain why. This particular scenario falls under Game Play Error: Severe. This penalty states that if a judge deems the situation to be beyond repair that a Game Loss penalty may be applied to the player commiting the error for not keeping track of gamestate and its rules. Addditionally, a warning may be issued to the players opponent for not keeping track of the game state and its rules because they should have caught the fact that you shouldn't have shuffled your hand into your deck. The game state and its rules is both players responsibility. If this happened at a Battle Roads I might not have thrown down the Game Loss penallty as it is a low K-Value event. If this happened at Worlds it would have to be a Game Loss.~Mark

Back