Japan's XY9 Set: 'Rage of the Broken Sky,' New 'Battle Strengthening Sets'

The way I look at it, you can use it late game with spread decks (I'd say Trevenant BREAK/Aegislash pairs well with this) or after damaging a lot of the opponent's pokémon, and then come up with espeon to devolve them and "kill 'em all"... if they're not Basic based-decks, that is...
Another way is using it as a tech in some decks to face cards that prevent damage from EXs...

The only thing I'm not happy with is we've seen a lot of support in this set for Basics and ways to counter evolved pokémon, but not much of the opposite, other than the recently revealed Trevenant...

From an anti-Mega point of view it would work best in a deck running multiple cards to discard opponent's tools as well as Tool-Fs to force the opposing EX to burn a turn to Mega evolve. The issue is that you did ZERO damage because of using this attack, so if this didn't KO the EX under the Mega, your opponent could see this as a 'free turn' and be OK with ending their turn on a Mega evolve. To make full use of this (against Mega Pokemon) you would need to benefit from the free turn by building up something on the bench and/or having Pokemon with abilities that can do damage.

Last edited:
i think it could work with Bats and bannnette 31/108 from roaring skies as a stall agianst megas and to shut down other tool cards I guess,...
nah the espeon is worthless XD

All of my yes, i am so hyped right now, unfortunately it looks pretty bad at the minute, but i'll find a use for it if it kills me.

For some reason I thought Skrelp was swimming on the surface of the lake. It must be those clouds in the sky. Bad clouds, bad.

Espeon-EX, stay away from me... too situational and too underpowered to be real. I hope I'll never pull this card...

Seriously hoping there's going to be an Umbreon EX that's facing the opposite direction.

I do see how this could be a decent tech card in psychic decks. Megaphone away any spirit links and then devolve the active mega. Seems like it could work well with the right cards.

I think espeon ex with pyroar? I mean you are giving up a turn yourself so they can give up a turn to mega evolve again so I do not know how playable to me this will be since its 2nd attack is the same as hydregion ex's shred except 10 less damage. Maybe because it can 1 shot lucario ex and mewtwo's with a muscle band but i would rather play a creselia from breakthrough. The Ex cards and mega ex cards in this set seem to me more like promos for collectors and won't be that competative.
Seriously hoping there's going to be an Umbreon EX that's facing the opposite direction.

I do see how this could be a decent tech card in psychic decks. Megaphone away any spirit links and then devolve the active mega. Seems like it could work well with the right cards.

I don't think I've ever been terrified by art before. But oh my goodness...Drowzee looks...unique

Back