Japan's XY11: 'Explosive Fighter / Cruel Traitor', CP5: 'Mythical / Legendary Dream Holo Collection'

The
Interesting, interesting.

Well the fact it's colorless at least means it can be used in any deck (and is a plus since I like card types that aren't previously released). It's seriously no different than EX's and in fact is still underpowered compared to said EX's.

Guess that means we can expect a Flecthling and Fletchinder (hope it too is colorless) and maybe Talonflame BREAK.

In a way it would be cool to more Pokémon with this ability, particularly those that have BREAKS. Still in the long run I don't know how many I'd really want running around. One Pokémon like this is a curiosity, even a wonder. But too many like this becomes something different altogether.
...we already got Talonflame BREAK as a japanese promo

Wally to Talonflame Break max elixirs muscle band 170 damage turn one?
Elixer is only for Benched basic pokemon maybe energy switch...I guess but I don't see that happening often

Last edited by a moderator:
Alternate Battle Compressor, party of one!

^ This Talonflame looks like an inferior Battle Compressor when combined w/ Ultra Ball to get rid of Lampents in hand in Expanded(not sure if Phantom Forces will rotate yet, do know that it will be determined in July whether or not it's gone in September...)... Combine that w/ Giovanni's Scheme, and you can say good-bye to opposing Pumpkaboo w/o an attached Fighting Fury Belt... Combine w/ Bunnelby PRC to fish out cards from the discard pile for deck putbacks, as well as two Winonas to get Set Up activated quickly as well as putting Fletchings in hand for bench placement, and upon Battle Compressor's rotation, whenever it comes, you can sub out Puzzle of Time AND Battle Compressors, and focus on Talonflame's two-card retrieval and subsequent Ultra Balls to discard them, at least in a Phantom Forces(and Battle Compressor)-less Standard format(provided Night March gets reprinted to make the combo possible)...

^ And the result?

^ Your Battle Compressor alternative! Just watch out for N!

Last edited:
I'm very sorry to burst some bubbles about the uses of this card... But think there needs to be a review about the rules at the start of the game:

You must have at least one basic Pokemon in your hand to play. If you do not, you must reveal your hand and reshuffle for a new one.

In other words, if you have this Talonflame in your hand, but no basics at all, I don't think you can play it, as
1. It isn't a basic, and
2. You must follow the reshuffling rules for not having a basic in your hand.

Unless this card explicitly bends these rules, it means the requirements of using it also includes having an additional basic Pokemon alongside it in your first draw of the game - and thus really lowers the odds of playing it at the start of the game in my books. v_v

That ability is really neat!

It seems best at home with Vespiquen. If you don't start with it, it's more damage later on. Support attack is cool, especially under item lock, though it does create a weakness to N.

I'm very sorry to burst some bubbles about the uses of this card... But think there needs to be a review about the rules at the start of the game:

You must have at least one basic Pokemon in your hand to play. If you do not, you must reveal your hand and reshuffle for a new one.

In other words, if you have this Talonflame in your hand, but no basics at all, I don't think you can play it, as
1. It isn't a basic, and
2. You must follow the reshuffling rules for not having a basic in your hand.

Unless this card explicitly bends these rules, it means the requirements of using it also includes having an additional basic Pokemon alongside it in your first draw of the game - and thus really lowers the odds of playing it at the start of the game in my books. v_v
It could be a mistranslation like how Glaceon's attack changed from evolved pokemon to evolution cards :/

It could be a mistranslation like how Glaceon's attack changed from evolved pokemon to evolution cards :/

I guess it could be... But if so, there would need to be a clause - or official ruling - saying that "It counts as a basic Pokemon in your hand when you draw it and use this ability at the start of the game."

Talonflame's ability kinda reminds me of kids who try to play the Pokemon TCG but don't have an actual deck and have no knowledge of the rules.
"Okay, I choose you, Talonflame!"
"You can't do that! You have to evolve it first!"

Talonflame's ability kinda reminds me of kids who try to play the Pokemon TCG but don't have an actual deck and have no knowledge of the rules.
"Okay, I choose you, Talonflame!"
"You can't do that! You have to evolve it first!"
yeah I was thinking about the controversy among little kids at league who will get extremely confused... Judges are going to be very annyed by this card
I guess it could be... But if so, there would need to be a clause - or official ruling - saying that "It counts as a basic Pokemon in your hand when you draw it and use this ability at the start of the game."
Yeah that's what I was trying to say although the reason for that ruling was so that you can actually start the game

Gale Wings make Talonflame count as a basic on the first turn when you did not already put another basic in the active slot. You may start the game with it as your only "basic" and place it face down in the active slot. The odds for this are below 50 percent and it only works as a head start turn one before you drew any other cards. It is not particularly reliable but it is not terrible at all since none of the other Talonflame cards good. The fact that this Talonflame is colorless is another bonus since it allows the deck to run Winona in case the entire evolution line is colorless. The Break eolvution is decent.

Instead of making non-fuly evolved Basics useful too make it a bit easier to set up Stage 2 mons, let's start making Stage 2 mons Basics! That fixes Stage 2s being unplayable!!!

Creative effect tough.

Pretty sweet card for two energy. Nice health too.

Wow, talk about a practically useless ability. Just look at the chances if you include four (which is already pretty insane to include four.)
Anyways, the attack is pretty decent, though XY11's looking like a letdown for being possibly the last XY expansion.

Last edited by a moderator:
intresting card to test with but you have to start with it. It is pretty much latios ex when you want to get the donk it does not always happen. If you do not start with it it is pretty much a wasted space card in your deck. 40 and searching for 2 cards is pretty good but this ability is something we have not seen before, starting with a stage 2 is pretty good.

It doesn't say it has to be in your hand I wonder if it will still be the ruling we think it

Considering you and your opponent play your starting Pokemon at the same time, plus your ability goes into effect technically before the game even starts, and wobbuffet doesn't activate until it turns over when the game starts, I'm sure it doesn't effect this talonflame.

OK but how many more Talonflames do we really need??? And don't even get me started on Fletchings???

There's already a Talonflame BREAK japanese promo...

...which I think will be in our English set, first because there's this new Talonflame line and also because the english set has 7 pokémon BREAK, and I don't see one of the japanese sub-sets having one more BREAK card than the other...

Yes, that was my thought as well, that it would be in our Steam Siege set.

...we already got Talonflame BREAK as a japanese promo

Remember just because Japan get something does not mean it is guaranteed that it will be released internationally. Though yes in this case I suspect it will be released internationally, as already mentioned probably in Steam Siege.

Now this... This is interesting. Say you start off with Talonflame and a bunch of useless cards right off, can you count that as a mulligan since Talonflame isn't a basic? Do you have to use the effect, or is it optional?

I'd definitely going to give this a try. It seems like it could be something fun to mess around with.

Back