News Japan's SM6b, 'Champion Road'!

Overall its bad, its go to have this type of ability lock but its on a stage two who literally is the same as its vg counter part, but hey you can at least use electrode to power it up :3

If you could find a way to power it up this could be very cool.

Malamar could power it up. I was thinking you could build around it as a primary, and support it with Malamar to power/repower, Dawn Wings Necrozma GX + Altar of the Moone + 1 Psychic Energy for free switch (thinking that Float Stone will be rotating soon). Then you could switch Slaking turn after turn and use his attack every turn. Add a Choice Band and it OHKO's all of the basic GX's except for Guzzlord GX (I think). If you happen to play Professor Kukui, it OHKO's anything up to 210. That's a magic number!

Last edited:
Fighting weakness is bad in the current meta. Also, doesn't hit anything for weakness as a colorless so you have to maximize with Choice Band and/or Kukui. That doesn't help against good non-GX fighting hitters like Passimian or the new Lycanroc dusk form.

The good news is Necrozma GX's "Light's End" ability, which prevents all damage from colorless, would be turned off by Slaking's ability. Again, OHKO w/ a Choice Band.

Interesting/fun possibilities. I'm sure it's not going to rule the meta. But, if you are a local card store hobbyist like I am who likes to play rogue decks, there are a lot of fun possibilities. (key word being fun!)

Last edited:
Everyone has said this ability is bad on a Stage 2, sure. But it would be absolutely busted on a Stage 1 because it doesn't shut off your own abilities which would also make it easier to include in decks (regarding deck space).

Perhaps an okay partner for Glaceon GX for constant Ability denial? Deny an opponent their Wonder Tag with T1 Glaceon while you set up for Slaking? Not sure what this would be best with, not to mention the detrimental fighting weakness.

NOOO GARBODOR IS IMPRINTING HIS INFLUENCE BEFORE HE ROTATES! STOP HIIIIIIIM!

NOOO GARBODOR IS IMPRINTING HIS INFLUENCE BEFORE HE ROTATES! STOP HIIIIIIIM!

Heh, don't worry.

Remember, the issue with Garbodor is not that that it shuts down Abilities, but how and the amount of effort involved. Unless the powers-that-be make it easy to spam Slaking as an alternate attacker (he can't be a Bench-sitter and still shutdown Abilities) or release a fantastic hit-and-run style attacker to work with him, I think we're safe. I was a fan of the Slaking upon which this one is based and... he never really proved competitive, despite my efforts (and, more importantly, the efforts of better players than myself).

Edit from earlier I need to give my reason for why this is horrible, Stage 2, attach 3 energy or 2 with dce and basic, it can't attack next turn, and it has a hefty retreat cost, and lastly it loses an energy for attacking. Imo hope for a hex reprint, there are too many minuses/disadvantages for using this card. I was going to say umbreon + slaking deck, but you cant even abuse altar of the moone.

A stage 2 + must be the active + weakness to fighting = not practical. Nobody will use this.

Long live Garbotoxin.

Tough one to use. Perhaps partner it with slush rush sandlash (nobody uses it to attack, but it does have the switch your pokemon attack) + upcoming magcargo. Toss in a unit energy and this might be glorious when set up, but probably still pretty inconsistent.

It works in expanded with a Slaking/float stone combo and since it is a colorless type then it can work in pretty much all decks

I actually like it because it's balanced. Amazing ability but on a Stage 2 and it's attack can hit relevant numbers with a Choice Band and/or Professor Kukui, but has drawbacks that prevent it from being overpowered. Probably not something I would play but it's not a bad card.

One thing I like is that this doesn't have that restriction that the original has, if the translation is to be true. So DCE and a Unit Energy means you are attacking for 160 every two turns.

Bah, son of a goat. I thought we were done with universal ability lock once Garbodor rotates. Oh well, it's way less flexible and degenerate than the previous locker since it has to be in the active and it's a stage 2. Doesn't mean it's unusable though. DCE is still in the format and the attack it provides has really minor downsides. You would only need to attach a basic energy over and over again, and we've seen the switching power provided by cards like Guzma and DW Necrozma so that should be pretty easy to abuse.

Overall it's a nice pokemon, props to whoever can utilize this mon to it's max, but what really matters is that it won't be as popular as typical strategies that involve GXs as thier main attackers. It's ability lock rightfully earned when you have devotion to using this card, so I'm fine with it.

Hey WPM, just wondering if you could post the original card as well as the new champion road card when more champion road cards are revealed.

Edit from earlier I need to give my reason for why this is horrible, Stage 2, attach 3 energy or 2 with dce and basic, it can't attack next turn, and it has a hefty retreat cost, and lastly it loses an energy for attacking. Imo hope for a hex reprint, there are too many minuses/disadvantages for using this card. I was going to say umbreon + slaking deck, but you cant even abuse altar of the moone.
Just use Dawn Wings + Float

AT a stage 2, it will probably be knocked out before it evolves. you might need to use brigette first, in expanded it has more flexibility because of float stone. needs to have rare candy for 2nd turn evolution. expanded has garbodar, wobbuffet, glaceon gx. Probably good in a stall mill deck, but even then i dont think its useful. you will have to make it a 2-1-2 line to save deck space. I dont think slaking is meant for attacking, hence the bad side effect. its 3 energy cost , can be negated if you use all special energies. and pokemon ranger in expanded.

@Clefable Master:yes it is, the ability is very good, but people arnt pointing the fact that its a stage 2, it will get sniped before it even evolves. Also the abilities doesnt affect the hand and discard pile like the other ability deniers, so it cant stop darkrai gx from reviving. and exeggute in expanded.

The problem on these good Stage 2 cards is... we don't have the "Turn 1 RC rule" anymore. As you observed most decks in 2004 to 2008, almost every single deck runs a Stage 2 mon for utility and T1 RC makes it possible. I even saw Take Out Machamp and DP Dusknoir being teched in one deck. Yeah, that rule is broken before but not anymore.

Back