Japan Passes Jail-For-Downloaders Anti-Piracy Law

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/06/japan-download-copyright-law/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/22/japan-passes-jail-for-dow_n_1618479.html

Well I guess it was only a matter of time until a country other than us would be threatened by the same SOPA/PIPA laws that U.S. Congress tried to pass several months ago only this time it's hit Japan. Other countries around the world may have had similiar bills passed into law but I feel glad that we managed to dodge a major bullet, too bad the public of Japan didn't put up much of a fight against their own Government regarding the Anti-Piracy law that passed there.

Not sure what this will mean to the International Otaku Community though... >__>

RE: Japan Passes SOPA Alike into Law...

It means you will have to buy your anime. What a shame.

PokeMedic said:
It means you will have to buy your anime. What a shame.

Isn't that only if you live in Japan? Everyone else should be fine to sail the mighty seas.

This means that Japanese Subs won't be uploaded onto the Internet anymore since Japan has outlawed against it with this new law. They just killed the only reason why I watch One Piece and Cardfight!! Vanguard for their Subs.

It's looking like Anime/Manga is officially dead in the U.S. no thanks to the Japanese Government. Most English Dubs over in the U.S. suck like crap that's why most people internationally watch Japanese Subs online, they not only killed otaku with this new law, they're also hurting their pop culture and economy along with it.

One Piece...my beautiful One Piece...dubbed? And...Madoka Magica...oh no, the horror! *shudders*
Well this really really sucks. I can't stand most dubs. Its like they're trying to torture us with horrendous English versions. We're sorry, Japan, but let us have the subs back! Please...

I know right? Cardfight!! Vanguard is as good as dead in terms of an Anime series since most people prefer the Sub over the horrible English Dub. I also won't be able to watch new Subs for One Piece which is a shame. I really should've seen this coming ahead of time unfortunately the Japanese Public didn't put up much of a fight to stop the law from getting passed probably because they still have a grudge against America for nuking Hiroshima and Nagasaki back in World War II. You'd think after the end of the Meiji Restoration period they'd settled their differences by now.

This move is going to severely hurt the Japanese Economy and their Pop Culture which in some cases is similiar to America's Pop Culture Status, by not allowing Japanese Subs being distributed over the Internet they are isolating themselves as much as North Korea has from the rest of the world. Maybe this move will improve the American Anime Industry which has been in a huge decline for nearly a decade due to pirating Anime content online because of how companies mess up easily on English Dubs in terms of voice acting. This new law which some argue isn't as draconian as SOPA/PIPA doesn't solve anything, it just leads to more problems.

> Japan passes law regulating internet content
> People only care about anime

1300044776986.jpg

How terrible that you might have to listen to an anime in your native language. Christ in Heaven deliver us from Canadian voice studios!

Anime went off the deep end when it was determined that they could only be troubled to sell a product people couldn't resist actually spending money on. That's really limited what studios actually even try to put out. There's more to be concerned about than anime though. Try to see more of the big picture. The IRL picture.

Well this does effect Manga as well to some extent I suppose. Why should Japan ban people overseas from enjoying Japanese Subs or Manga Scanlations because they think it's hurting the Anime/Manga Industry? Really? It draws them in depending on the source material If they make money off of it or not. I don't understand why Japan is trying to isolate themselves from America more and more by getting rid of the distribution of Subs and Scanlations internationally.

Apparently you PokeMedic are apart of the minority who believes that Anime/Manga is dead overall let alone the international pop culture that it created. Most people in the U.S. don't tolerate Dubs that well cause of how poorly the Dubbing Companies do them, FUNimation is good but aside from that most Dubbing Companies aren't that great overall in terms of voice actors but they don't get paid enough cause of people pirating content online and the global economy being bad right now.

Card Slinger J said:
Apparently you PokeMedic are apart of the minority who believes that Anime/Manga is dead overall let alone the international pop culture that it created. Most people in the U.S. don't tolerate Dubs that well cause of how poorly the Dubbing Companies do them, FUNimation is good but aside from that most Dubbing Companies aren't that great overall in terms of voice actors but they don't get paid enough cause of people pirating content online and the global economy being bad right now.

There's also the reason how they edit out a lot of the more violent scenes because they try to pass it off to younger kids than the Japanese do..

Because they are trying to appeal the anime to a specific age demographic when there's a good chance it's intended demographic might not match to what the Dubbing Company is trying to do with it, 4Kids' handling with One Piece is a very good example of this.

This is stupid. Now I won't be able to watch new episodes of One Piece anymore. >:[

What's even worse is that I'm going to have to watch the dub from now on, which Funimation hasn't worked on for a loooooong time. Wow. Just wow, Japan.

EVERYBODY JUST PANIC OVER THE FEAR OF NOTHING!!!
DO IT NOW!!!!

thats really all i see in this thread
so what, japan says they will throw people in jail for downloading copyrighted materials
2 things
1. To be prosecuted, you have to have known it was illegal. I don't know if its the same in japan, but here in america, most people don't actually know it't illegal to download copyrighted material without paying for it. Also, to prosecute you, they have to prove you knew it was illegal, not exactly the easiest thing to do.

2. This is a Japanese law, can they come to get you in america (or wherever you live assuming it isn't japan) for downloading it? No, if you aren't in japan, you aren't subject to their laws.

3 (I can't count).This is only a law affecting downloaders, it has been against the law to upload this for years (complete with jail time). Who puts it online for us to all view to our content, the uploaders; and if they have been doing it for this long despite the law, this defiantly won't stop them.

TLDR version:
This law changes nothing

Nigel said:
What's even worse is that I'm going to have to watch the dub from now on, which Funimation hasn't worked on for a loooooong time. Wow. Just wow, Japan.
Oh no, of course this is an awful fate, because the English language is just awful to listen to.

Zyflair said:
Oh no, of course this is an awful fate, because the English language is just awful to listen to.
Remember that conversation we had the other day about you not liking that thing I said that I adored? It's the same thing here. It's the tone and feel of the voice that makes it what it is. Many American voice actors don't care too much about quality or are directed by people who don't understand much English at all and choose the first or worst recordings of lines to use in the dub because of time constraints.

There's always Crunchyroll where you can watch Japanese Subs for free If they're old but the site has you pay for the new episodes unfortunately. Plus what Spidy said, there are loopholes to get around this Japanese Law so it's all good...

You know, animation is considered low-budget no matter what country you live in, which is why anime wasn't given high priority by dubbing companies in the States. I never considered subs worth watching either, so I don't see them as a major loss. The problem I see is that some Japanese individuals may now get unjustly prosecuted for downloading things they didn't know were pirated.

Back