confused
so if i play
x1 ultra ball
than place down one card than play
X1 Professors letter
then discard one energy and put one into my hand
than search my deck for a pokemon?

is this legal

Not at all. Sometimes in tournaments, players don't shuffle after they play a card because they are going to go right back into the deck with another search card (and they will tell you this as a courtesy). But what you're talking about is playing two cards simultaneously and that is never allowed.

In that case you should play the letter, search your two Energy, tell your opponent you're going back in, play Ultra Ball, discard Energy and whatever other card you want, then search for a Pokemon.

You might be able to get away with playing it out like you did in friendlies, but the actions as you've described are definitely not allowed and you will get a judge called on you if you try it in a tournament.

I agree.
you need to play each card independently and finish each cards action BEFORE proceeding.
so...
if you play Prof. letter. go get the energy. then place all cards down and in their proper location.
deck back in place. prof. letter in discard. energy in hand.
then play your ultraball.
and place down the x2 cards you will discard.
then go into the deck to get your pokemon.
reveal and finish your turn/sequence. shuffle deck and give opponent option to cut.

if you play by the proper rules (even during friendly games)... it becomes 2nd nature.

Back