Discussion Is Raichu GX and Magnetic Circuit Magnezone a viable deck?

Seastrome

Aspiring Trainer
Seems like it could be but I wanted to ask before buying Raichu's. Or at least get opinions on what potential partners would be for the deck. Because I believe Raichu is definitely a usable card.

IF you can find a way to get a stage 2 line, multiple stage 1 lines, and draw enough energy quickly, and do all the above consistently...

IF you can find a way to get a stage 2 line, multiple stage 1 lines, and draw enough energy quickly, and do all the above consistently...

Well, I thought Raichu GX was one of the cards out of this set aside from Zoroark GX that people were talking about? I guess I should just buy Zoroarks? If so, how many and what decks do they fit in?

I would say that you can invest in Raichu. I see potential.
It's pretty much in the same state Darkrai is in standard. But without the issue of only having 180 HP.

If you actually want to play it you can try to set up Magnezone. But i dunno how good that will be. Might scrap that so you have enough Room and play the Raikou from SHL instead plus the other Raikou.
Will also make it possible to use Max Elixir.

Although I don't think Magnezone will be good with Raichu, I do think Raichu will be top tier. It fixes a lot of things Darkrai struggles with this format, and as an extremely experienced Darkrai player, I can only conclude that Raichu will be tier 2 at minimum. I want to say tier 1, but seeing what it has to compete with, I think the better side of tier 2 is being generous. We'll have to wait and see, but once Xurkitree comes out, Raichu GX will likely be a force to be reckoned with.

Yes, I think it's pretty safe to invest in Raichus. Even if Magnezone doesn't turn out to be the best partner for it, it's a very cheap card and you will have lost like 3-4$. I don't know if it will be top tier, but it will definitely be Tier 2. The attack is very strong, we've seen something similar (Darkrai) do well recently, and we're getting Xurkitree-GX, which will be a big boon for this deck.

As to investing in Zoroarks, definitely. It's a great card that will create its own archetypes and replace Octillery in some others.

Raichu/Magnezone is not good. Darkrai is barely viable, so what makes you think a more inconsistent version of it will be? If you want to play Raichu, play it with Raikou and Also Circle Circuit/Evoshock Raichus. In my opinion, that's the best way to play it.

Yeah but wouldn't you want to use it's first attack? You need to accelerate energies on your board like Darkrai to do it, right? There are Elixirs but not much else.

I think Magnezone and Raichu GX could work, it'd take a turn or 2 to get rolling but once it's up and running it'd be essentially super Darkrai....I just fear a stage 1 as your main attacker with a stage 2 bench sitter will get pretty clunky tho, definitely worth a test tho

It fixes a lot of things Darkrai struggles with this format...

Could you elaborate? I was thinking that Raichu-GX does one thing clearly better than Darkrai-EX (XY: BREAKpoint 74/122, 118/122): having 30 more HP. Everything else is debatable. Raichu-GX is a Stage 1 instead of a Basic, so we have less deck space with which to work, directly relevant to our methods of supporting the cards in question. Raichu-GX has a GX-attack... but Darkrai-EX has room to add in a Basic Pokémon-GX to pick up the slack and provide additional attacking opportunities.

I don't know these things, though, just suspect them. I could easily be missing the forest for the trees. XP

Could you elaborate? I was thinking that Raichu-GX does one thing clearly better than Darkrai-EX (XY: BREAKpoint 74/122, 118/122): having 30 more HP. Everything else is debatable. Raichu-GX is a Stage 1 instead of a Basic, so we have less deck space with which to work, directly relevant to our methods of supporting the cards in question. Raichu-GX has a GX-attack... but Darkrai-EX has room to add in a Basic Pokémon-GX to pick up the slack and provide additional attacking opportunities.

I don't know these things, though, just suspect them. I could easily be missing the forest for the trees. XP
Yes, Raichu does have 30 more HP and takes up more deck space. Everything you said is true. But there's more to Raichu than what I had already said. First of all, the deck wouldn't have to use extra bench space in order to use the GX attack, it comes with the attacker. It also doesn't have the dark type, meaning Gardy doesn't resist it. a huge problem with Darkrai was benchspace, since a lot of the deck's consistency comes from benching a lot of things, along with having too much extra space. That may sound crazy, but having a lot of "extra" space can end up becoming a problem since a lot of deckbuilders will fill the space with techs that clog your hand. And Raichu also has access to Tapu Koko GX, a non-fighting weak Pokemon that usually OHKO's something with it's GX attack with little to no setup. Raichu also has access to Brigette, which Darkrai doesn't. This is relevant for obvious reasons, which I'm guessing I "have" to explain anyways. You can grab Pikachu, Raikou, and potentially other setup/ etc. Pokemon with it, so your board advancements are far better than that of Darkrai's, potentially even relevant enough to establish itself in the meta.

Thanks.

Raichu also has access to Brigette, which Darkrai doesn't. This is relevant for obvious reasons, which I'm guessing I "have" to explain anyways. You can grab Pikachu, Raikou, and potentially other setup/ etc. Pokemon with it, so your board advancements are far better than that of Darkrai's, potentially even relevant enough to establish itself in the meta.

Typically, it is a good idea to explain such things. After all, Darkrai-EX (BKP) can use Brigette as well, just really, really poorly. XP If Bench space wasn't an issue, Darkrai-EX could also use Hoopa-EX, but you already established why that is a problem. I hadn't considered Tapu Koko-GX, either. All in all, I'm still not sold on Raichu-GX being "better" than Darkrai-EX, but it isn't like I was using said Darkrai-EX so you're probably right. At the very least, I think better of Raichu-GX than I did; thanks!

Yes, I think it's pretty safe to invest in Raichus. Even if Magnezone doesn't turn out to be the best partner for it, it's a very cheap card and you will have lost like 3-4$. I don't know if it will be top tier, but it will definitely be Tier 2. The attack is very strong, we've seen something similar (Darkrai) do well recently, and we're getting Xurkitree-GX, which will be a big boon for this deck.

As to investing in Zoroarks, definitely. It's a great card that will create its own archetypes and replace Octillery in some others.

I wouldn't invest Raichu. Sure there is not much to lose, but there is even less to gain. Look at cards like Drampa GX, Espeon GX, Tapu Bulu GX Alolan Ninetales GX or Metagross GX. These are all cards actually used in highly competitive decks, but they're all less expensive than Raichu is right now. So why would Raichu be more expensive in the future ? It is not an all rounder for every deck, it's only usable in it's own archetype. These cards never really go higher than where Raichu is right now, except if its archetype is the current bdif, but I honestly don't see this coming for Raichu.

As for investing into Zoroark, definitely wait until the collection comes out.

Raichu/Magnezone is not a viable deck in this format. The huge issue it has is getting the numbers to OHKO a Gardevoir GX and Gardevoir GX can easily OHKO a Raichu GX. The fact that Raichu GX is weak to fighting does not help at all against Gardevoir GX as well because Gallade can easily OHKO it as well.

If you are taking a very unfavorable matchup to Gardevoir GX, I doubt you'll have a good time.

Raichu really isn't good in standard, you can't even try to use the Raikou as an Oblivion Wing replacement that well. Raichu/Eels is the way to play this card but even that has a rough time with consistency.

Raichu/Magnezone is not a viable deck in this format. The huge issue it has is getting the numbers to OHKO a Gardevoir GX and Gardevoir GX can easily OHKO a Raichu GX. The fact that Raichu GX is weak to fighting does not help at all against Gardevoir GX as well because Gallade can easily OHKO it as well.

If you are taking a very unfavorable matchup to Gardevoir GX, I doubt you'll have a good time.

I'm missing how Raichu GX, a two energy attacker with 210hp, is "easily OHKO'd" by Gardy? Gardy needs to have five energy OR 4 and a Choice Band in order to one shot Raichu GX. Meanwhile loading that many energy onto Gardy leaves Gardy open for a revenge kill via Tapu Koko GX (Tapu Koko also isn't fighting weak giving it an edge against Gallade). Raichu does require a lot of resources to get a one shot on Gardy though that is a fair point. You need 9 energy on the board and a choice band to one shot a Gardy with Raichu GX, but I don't think this brings it to the level of "unfavorable".

I dunno man... that would be an awesome setup, but you have too admit, maybe a little too chunky to be a tournament-level deck...

I prefer Electrode, especially with some cheeky Counter Catcher KOs

Electrode was actually pretty good again for awhile because people stopped running enhanced hammer due to garb, but now with Kartana coming and probablym ore special energy hate it will be weak again.

There's no more terrible feeling than seeing your one prize cost special energy get discarded by such a low investment play.

Back