Is Pokémon No Longer Respected as a Card Game?

Yes, Yu-gi-oh does have games, though they aren't nearly as popular. I used to play them on the GBA, PS2 and PSP. I loved playing them.

You forgot about the one that was released for the PSX/PS One called "Yu-Gi-Oh! Forbidden Memories", I still have my original PSX Memory Card for that game among other save files from other PSX games that I stored for it. I still couldn't beat that game even to this day! :p

Re: RE: Is Pokémon No Longer Respected as a Card Game?

TheTPCProductionz said:
Yes, Yu-gi-oh does have games, though they aren't nearly as popular. I used to play them on the GBA, PS2 and PSP. I loved playing them.

Not anymore, or so I hear.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

While I never owned a single Magic card, I did used to play Magic online via simulators with some friends online. I didn't think it was any more difficult to pick up than Pokémon, but I personally didn't care for it as much. Of course, this is all in hindsight, since my time spent playing Magic was a few years ago and at that point I wasn't into the Pokémon TCG at all, having stopped playing/collecting around Team Rocket and only getting back into it again somewhat recently. Maybe I would have enjoyed Magic more if I'd played it in person, or played it longer (I only really played for a few months), I don't know, I can only speak for my experiences.

I do wish people played the Pokémon TCG more in general. I remember being at ACen a couple years ago (an anime con, similar to the OP), and I found a vendor that was selling some Pokémon cards in the dealer's room. I saw a bunch of people around that area and was kind of excited, until I was close enough to hear the conversations between them, which mostly consisted of a lot of nostalgia and/or genwunnerism. That said, the one official event that I've managed to work up the courage to go to (a prerelease for Next Destinies) was actually rather full of people, and that did make me happy. There were a few dozen in the Masters division alone, likely more than double the amount of Juniors and Seniors combined. Unfortunately, the place was over an hour's drive away, and now I live in another country entirely. Hoping to go to another prerelease event for XY, this time here in the Netherlands.

I do get the feeling that the "kid-like" presentation and marketing of the Pokémon TCG is what turns people off of it more than anything about the game itself. In the circles of geeks I've hung out in (mostly D&D types in their 20s and 30s), Magic is *the* TCG game if you play anything, Pokémon is cute for nostalgia but otherwise not mature enough, and nobody ever even talked about YGO. Generational gaps, maybe. I tend to get some weird looks by people for being involved in the Pokémon TCG myself (being both older and a woman, I guess), but I don't really care much about that.

I guess the tl;dr of my post, which I kind of lost the point of a while ago, is that I really don't think the Pokémon TCG is respected as a card game, at least among most of my own contemporaries, but that it's more due to marketing and bias than anything to do with the game itself. Sure, the game has its flaws, but it seems like many of the detractors don't know enough about the game to even know about its flaws since they dismiss it very easily and early.

There are probably a higher percentage of girls playing Pokemon TCG than MTG or YGO. I'm not saying that there are more girls playing Pokemon TCG, just that there is a higher percentage of girls playing Pokemon TCG.

signofzeta said:
There are probably a higher percentage of girls playing Pokemon TCG than MTG or YGO. I'm not saying that there are more girls playing Pokemon TCG, just that there is a higher percentage of girls playing Pokemon TCG.

From what I've noticed, at least, I think the percentage of females playing the card games goes Pokemon TCG > MTG > YGO. I'm not sure if the MTG females are just the girlfriends of other guys that play or what, but I've seen a few at MTG prereleases I happened to be around for. YGO female base is almost nonexistent.

DNA said:
signofzeta said:

From what I've noticed, at least, I think the percentage of females playing the card games goes Pokemon TCG > MTG > YGO. I'm not sure if the MTG females are just the girlfriends of other guys that play or what, but I've seen a few at MTG prereleases I happened to be around for. YGO female base is almost nonexistent.

I know that there are a higher percentage of girls playing Pokemon TCG, but do you think there are more girls overall playing Pokemon TCG over MTG?

For example let's say there are 100 MTG players and 50 Pokemon TCG players. Of that 100, 30 are girls, or 30% and of the 50, 25 are girls, or 50%, meaning Pokemon TCG has higher percentage of girls, but MTG has more girls overall.

Basically saying, although Pokemon TCG has higher percentage of girls over guys, I want to know if Pokemon TCG does have more girls playing the game overall over MTG. As you can see in my example, if MTG has way more players overall, the small percentage of female MTG players can be more than the higher percentage of Pokemon TCG players. I just want to know if that is true or not. If not, then Pokemon TCG attracts the female players better than MTG and YGO. I also notice that not a lot of female gamers tend to play at stores, but more likely to play at home casually. The whole game store thing has this "geeky" vibe to it that doesn't attract female gamers.

Pokemon TCG can be seen as for kids, simplistic, not for the big boys, but on the other hand, MTG and YGO can be seen as the TCG for nerds and geeks, and because game stores have this "geeky" vibe to it, players are more comofortable playing MTG and YGO over pokemon TCG, Kaijudo, or anything that isn't complex, and wordiness does make the game complex, because MTG and YGO players would have this feeling that they are smarter than Pokemon TCG players because they can read, while Pokemon TCG players can only read one or two lines, and not a bunch of text squashed in some tiny box, ahem, yugioh.

It isn't all that bad for Pokemon TCG... They get all the GUURRRRRLSS, MAAAAAAAN!!!!!!

To be honest, any player who thinks they are smarter than another player just because they can read a larger wall of text in a trading card game should be ashamed of himself. If he wants to prove himself as smart, then do that in the academe or in places that need a degree in college.

On a side note, there are barely any female Pokemon players here. I;ve honestly seen less than 20 female players come and go in my ten years or so of Pokemon.

Also lol, some moderator just deleted/hid my post when I said that Pokemon is a cheaper card game compared to MTG and YGO in response to the guy who was saying you have to pay a lot for a VirGen deck to just win

In my own experience, I haven't seen another female playing the game since the first three sets; most of the friends I played with then were male, but there were a couple females. Never saw any women playing Magic either, whether it was my online playing, or the times I've been in game shops when Magic leagues have been playing. Of course, my sample size set is pretty small and only anecdotal.

In any event, it's probably true that a higher percentage of women play Pokémon over Magic or YGO, but it's kind of pointless to speculate on.

It would be impossible, to really gather solid statistics on this sort of thing. You'd have to attend every league in the US, for about a year, to be able to even gather any worth stats. It's just speculation, it will never become solid stats.

I haven't met any Female Pokémon players, but I don't really attend anything. I am planning to attend Pre releases, but I don't like attending alone. I know a few people within an hour of me that collect, but they are adults and have no real want to go.

signofzeta said:
Saying that MTG would die out before Pokemon TCG is nonsense.

If WOTC made one boneheaded decision, MTG would still survive. They made a lot of risky moves in a lot of years, double face cards being one of them, and it turned out well for them. They know that they have an established fanbase that they can make these risky moves.

If TPCi made one boneheaded decision, Pokemon TCG would still survive, but will be hanging on a thread of life. If TPCi did a risky move, there might be a chance that the game would die outright. With all these changes going on, I don't know if people are overreacting, or if TPCi did really make boneheaded decisions to kill the game.

I don't agree. TPCi has made many "boneheaded decision"s and survived.

- drop of card quality
- lack of guarantee pull rate from a box
- not selling 3 booster blister in North America
- releasing crummy promos with old booster packs

There are probably more that I'm forgetting. At times it is like they are trying to go out of business.

Familiar said:
signofzeta said:
Saying that MTG would die out before Pokemon TCG is nonsense.

If WOTC made one boneheaded decision, MTG would still survive. They made a lot of risky moves in a lot of years, double face cards being one of them, and it turned out well for them. They know that they have an established fanbase that they can make these risky moves.

If TPCi made one boneheaded decision, Pokemon TCG would still survive, but will be hanging on a thread of life. If TPCi did a risky move, there might be a chance that the game would die outright. With all these changes going on, I don't know if people are overreacting, or if TPCi did really make boneheaded decisions to kill the game.

- drop of card quality

There are probably more that I'm forgetting. At times it is like they are trying to go out of business.

Well that only gets rid of the picky people, but those decisions are minor. A boneheaded decision, at least in football, would be to trade away our star quarterback, and not getting a decent replacement.

I don't necessarily have to say boneheaded decision. I could also say take big risks in the change in gameplay. MTG does that all the time, taking big risks every time new block comes out. Pokemon TCG can't afford to do that. The only thing they can afford to do is to add types which doesn't add to gameplay at all, or make the game somewhat different, but in reality the game is still the same.

MTG would not die if they did that, and Pokemon TCG would be hanging by a thread if they did that.

I know that there are a higher percentage of girls playing Pokemon TCG, but do you think there are more girls overall playing Pokemon TCG over MTG?
I don't know. I haven't really witnessed that many MTG events, especially not the ones on a large scale. I've been to large-scale Pokemon events before, yeah, but not large-scale MTG ones. So, unfortunately, I can't answer your question accurately right now.

signofzeta said:
Familiar said:

- drop of card quality

Well that only gets rid of the picky people, but those decisions are minor. A boneheaded decision, at least in football, would be to trade away our star quarterback, and not getting a decent replacement.

I don't necessarily have to say boneheaded decision. I could also say take big risks in the change in gameplay. MTG does that all the time, taking big risks every time new block comes out. Pokemon TCG can't afford to do that. The only thing they can afford to do is to add types which doesn't add to gameplay at all, or make the game somewhat different, but in reality the game is still the same.

MTG would not die if they did that, and Pokemon TCG would be hanging by a thread if they did that.

If WOTC did the same garbage TPCi is doing. MTG would be gone.

Familiar said:
signofzeta said:

If WOTC did the same garbage TPCi is doing. MTG would be gone.

I don't agree that the four points you listed are TPCi's garbage moves at all.

MTG probably has the same card quality as Pokemon TCG. I own the latest set, and the latest MTG set, and both are similar. MTG probably has worse card quality than Pokemon TCG, with higher chance of the card being off center.

MTG never have guaranteed pull rates, that's why it is a dumb decision to buy booster boxes always.

MTG never sold 3 pack blisters.

MTG never sells box sets, but then again, none of their sets are so crummy that they have to include them in box sets just to get rid of the stock.

WOTC makes sets for any type of MTG player out there, and if they screw up, there is always another subgroup of MTG players. Subgroups being Casual, Collector, Limited, Legacy, Standard, Modern, and Commander. TPCi makes products for one group, rather than multiple groups of Pokemon TCG players. If they screw up, well, they don't have another group of Pokemon TCG players to rely on. The only group they have are collectors, with modified being the second group. There lacks the limited and casual groups. I say there is a lack of limited and casual because before the Elite trainer box, no product included all 8 energy types in them, making the game not cater to the limited and casual crowd. Because MTG caters to more people than Pokemon TCG, if WOTC screws up, there is always another group of people who would still support the game.

TheTPCProductionz said:
It seems like you hate TPCi and the card game in general,

On the contrary, I accepted everything that TPCi has released, except for decisions that don't add to the game, or help the game.

I kind of wished that they made products that have purpose. So far, we have 4 sets, with 2 to 3 theme decks in them. We have the elite trainer boxes, tins, and over 10+ box sets per year. Why? Why not release box sets that introduce a new type of game to the Pokemon TCG? How about a box set that caters to limited gameplay? Even yugioh doesn't release tons and tons of box sets that don't add anything to the game.

It isn't really only TPCi's fault, but also on the fanbase too. I suggested some alternate ways to play the PokemonTCG, such as 3 vs 3 and rotation battles, and even suggested TPCi to make products with limited play in mind, but nope, all I get are "bad idea", or "Pokemon TCG is catered only to the collector and kids". That kind of mentality certainly doesn't help grow a game. So long as TPCi creates products to cater to only one market, the game won't grow, and if they make that market angry, they won't have a different market to rely on.

The whole poor pull rate thing isn't the fault of TPCi either. It is always a better idea to buy singles if you want that ultra rare you don't have, but it seems Pokemon TCG players insist on buying booster boxes just for one card. That is what I observed between two parties. MTG players would say "booster boxes are the dumbest purchase anyone could make, unless you play limited". Pokemon TCG players would say "Always buy booster boxes just to get that one card", When TPCi decides to tone down the pull rates, they then proceed to complain about it, when in reality, it is never a good idea to buy booster boxes just for one card.

Pokemon TCG is a game that has a lot of untapped potential that is not being used right now. There are unofficial formats in the tournament formats pdf that has team or 2 vs 2 battle, but I don't think anybody knows about it. Perhaps release a product with 2 vs 2 gameplay in mind, or release a few cards catering to this format? Whatever.

I'm going to make this statement. Pokemon TCG is a TCG that released the most box sets, that only contained boosters and a promo, and probably some oversized cards, and maybe a figurine, that don't add to the game. By most, I mean 10+ per year. MTG, YGO, CF Vanguard, Kaijudo, and WoW are TCGs that haven't released mass amount of box sets, which is the only thing I hate about Pokemon TCG, other than that, the game is aight, but there is potential for more.

I know that the TCG is trying to mimic the VG, but there are things in the TCG that the VG couldn't do, but the TCG has the potential of doing, and that is a response type of trigger. Opponent attacks, and you say, nope, I play this card, and your attack does less damage. The VG could never do that without disrupting the flow of the battle.

DNA said:
I don't know. I haven't really witnessed that many MTG events, especially not the ones on a large scale. I've been to large-scale Pokemon events before, yeah, but not large-scale MTG ones. So, unfortunately, I can't answer your question accurately right now.

*raises hand tentatively* hey guys, girl tcg player here. Have played Pokemon, YGO, Vs System, dabbled in Magic. I can say there are more girls attending Pokemon events; the few MTG events I went to did have girls lurking around, but they were just girlfriends of players. They did not actually play themselves. When I used to play YGO, I was pretty much the only girl too.

Still not sure how any of this has anything to do with whether this is a good TCG or not.

DarkPkmnTrainer said:
DNA said:

*raises hand tentatively* hey guys, girl tcg player here. Have played Pokemon, YGO, Vs System, dabbled in Magic. I can say there are more girls attending Pokemon events; the few MTG events I went to did have girls lurking around, but they were just girlfriends of players. They did not actually play themselves. When I used to play YGO, I was pretty much the only girl too.

Still not sure how any of this has anything to do with whether this is a good TCG or not.

Well the thread wasn't really about how good the Pokemon TCG, but more like what other people think about the Pokemon TCG. If TPCi could make the game more cool, like, add multiplayer support, such as team battle, or perhaps a different way to play the game, 2vs2, 3vs3, without removing the thing that attracts the female playerbase, then that would be awesome.

As an aside, has anyone tried to play the team battle format, as described on the tournament formats PDF?

signofzeta said:
TheTPCProductionz said:
It seems like you hate TPCi and the card game in general,

On the contrary, I accepted everything that TPCi has released, except for decisions that don't add to the game, or help the game.

I kind of wished that they made products that have purpose. So far, we have 4 sets, with 2 to 3 theme decks in them. We have the elite trainer boxes, tins, and over 10+ box sets per year. Why? Why not release box sets that introduce a new type of game to the Pokemon TCG? How about a box set that caters to limited gameplay? Even yugioh doesn't release tons and tons of box sets that don't add anything to the game.

It isn't really only TPCi's fault, but also on the fanbase too. I suggested some alternate ways to play the PokemonTCG, such as 3 vs 3 and rotation battles, and even suggested TPCi to make products with limited play in mind, but nope, all I get are "bad idea", or "Pokemon TCG is catered only to the collector and kids". That kind of mentality certainly doesn't help grow a game. So long as TPCi creates products to cater to only one market, the game won't grow, and if they make that market angry, they won't have a different market to rely on.

The whole poor pull rate thing isn't the fault of TPCi either. It is always a better idea to buy singles if you want that ultra rare you don't have, but it seems Pokemon TCG players insist on buying booster boxes just for one card. That is what I observed between two parties. MTG players would say "booster boxes are the dumbest purchase anyone could make, unless you play limited". Pokemon TCG players would say "Always buy booster boxes just to get that one card", When TPCi decides to tone down the pull rates, they then proceed to complain about it, when in reality, it is never a good idea to buy booster boxes just for one card.

Pokemon TCG is a game that has a lot of untapped potential that is not being used right now. There are unofficial formats in the tournament formats pdf that has team or 2 vs 2 battle, but I don't think anybody knows about it. Perhaps release a product with 2 vs 2 gameplay in mind, or release a few cards catering to this format? Whatever.

I'm going to make this statement. Pokemon TCG is a TCG that released the most box sets, that only contained boosters and a promo, and probably some oversized cards, and maybe a figurine, that don't add to the game. By most, I mean 10+ per year. MTG, YGO, CF Vanguard, Kaijudo, and WoW are TCGs that haven't released mass amount of box sets, which is the only thing I hate about Pokemon TCG, other than that, the game is aight, but there is potential for more.

I know that the TCG is trying to mimic the VG, but there are things in the TCG that the VG couldn't do, but the TCG has the potential of doing, and that is a response type of trigger. Opponent attacks, and you say, nope, I play this card, and your attack does less damage. The VG could never do that without disrupting the flow of the battle.

Well they release these Box Sets and products, because there is a bigger group of collector's than there is for MTG and Yu-gi-oh.

Pokémon is a collectible card game, just as much as it is Playing. That's why these sets are released, I think it's a good thing. There is far more people with Pokémon cards than there is which MTG and Yu-gi-oh, most people who have Pokémon cards collect. Players are infact a minority, I know about 60 people IRL that collect, I only know a few that play.

Back