TCG Fakes Introducing a new mechanic for the Pokémon Trading Card Game: Meter! (SV era)

Qman400

Fart Check
What is Meter?
Meter is a new mechanic I created for the Pokémon Trading Card Game in the SV era. Similar to Pokémon Vstar, Pokémon Meter ex have powerful skills in the form of Abilities or attacks that are limited in their use. The difference between Vstar powers and Meter Skills is that Meter Skills are not limited to once per game.

How does Meter work?
Both players each have a Meter Gauge. This Gauge is separated into 3 Segments and Meter Skills can only be used if these 3 Segments are all full. Once the game begins, each player’s Meter Gauge is boosted up to 3 as they begin their first turn. Once 1 of their Pokèmon uses a Meter Skill, that player’s Meter Gauge reverts to 0. If either player’s Meter Gauge is below 3, then at the beginning of that player’s turn their Meter Gauge will passively boost itself by 1.

Below is a basic visualization of the Meter Gauge in the context of a game

Turn 1
1705690272250.png

Turn 2 After Meter Skill has been used
1705690298418.png

Turn 3 (as the turn begins)
1705690332814.png

Turn 4 (as the turn begins)
1705690626523.png

Turn 5 Meter Skill ready to use
1705690658932.png

How to keep track of the Meter Gauge during a game.
With Vstar powers and GX attacks, markers were created to keep track of whether or not these mechanics had been used during a game, being flipped after use and staying flipped for the duration of a game. With the Meter Gauge though, keeping track of it is more complex than just flipping something over to indicate that a mechanic has been used. The marker has to be constantly changing each turn for both players. Vstar and GX markers have 2 modes, one before the mechanic’s use and another after the mechanic’s use. A Meter marker would have to have 4 different modes, each being easily understandable with the numbers 0, 1, 2, and 3. The easiest way to keep track of these 4 constantly changing modes is with the use of a special d4 which is a special die created with the intended use of only having 4 sides. With just 1 piece, all 4 modes can be tracked simultaneously, flipping the side corresponding with how much Meter you have each turn. A more creative approach would be for 4 separate markers that each indicate a mode. Representing 0 would be a long almost cylindrical-looking but 2-dimensional piece that would have 3 different engravings along the bottom, middle, and top where the rest of the markers will be placed. The other 3 markers will all be smaller blue rectangles that are all the same size and can fit into the 3 engravings of the 1st piece. Whenever you or your opponent’s Meter is boosted, that player will add a blue rectangle to their cylindrical piece, whenever the Meter is reverted, they will take out the piece. This allows for a more visually interesting way of keeping track of the Meter Gauge, the downside being that with so many pieces on the board, it could get messy, confusing, and overall more cluttered. These are 2 ideas of how the Meter mechanic can be implemented into the game visually.

The cards.
With this new mechanic, I would like to unveil some cards I created to showcase Meter even further. These cards consist of 6 Pokémon Meter ex, 1 Item card, 1 Supporter card, 1 Stadium card, and 2 Pokémon Tool cards. These will all be text fakes, and I might make future posts expanding on the concept of Meter and creating more cards that interact with it. I would like to give a special thanks to Zoxo for his help with balancing and wording, he is an amazing person and you can find him on Discord in the Pokémon TCG Custom Card Community usually helping other people with their fakes or reviewing them. He is an incredible person and I greatly thank him for the help he gave me with these cards. Without further ado, enjoy :).

Sableye Meter ex - HP 170 - D
Basic

Ability: Grubby Hands
Once during your turn, if this Pokémon is in the Active Spot, you may discard an Item card from your hand. If you do, draw 2 cards.

[C][C] Shadow Scratch 70+
You may discard a card from the top of your deck. If you do, this attack does 70 more damage.

Meter Skill
Ability: Treasure Hunt

During your turn, if this Pokémon is in the Active Spot, you may search your deck for a card. Then, shuffle your deck and put that card on top of it.

Weakness: Grass ×2
Resistance:
Retreat: [C]

Necrozma Meter ex - HP 220 - P
Basic

[C][C] Reflection Blast 40+
This attack does 10 more damage for each damage counter on this Pokémon.

[P][P][C][C] Prismatic Spark 240
Discard this card and all cards attached to it.

Meter Skill
[P][P] Light Devourer 70×

Revert your opponent's Meter Gauge to 0. This attack does 70 damage for each Meter Segment reverted in this way.

Weakness: Darkness ×2
Resistance: Fighting -30
Retreat: [C][C][C]

Dugtrio Meter ex - HP 250 - F
Stage 1, Evolves from Diglett

Ability: Arena Trap
As long as you have a Stadium in play, your opponent's Active Pokémon's Retreat Cost is [C][C] more.

[F] Dig 100
Flip a coin. If heads, during your opponent’s next turn, prevent all damage done to this Pokémon by attacks.

Meter Skill
[C][C][C] Underground Digging 200

This attack can be used even if this Pokémon is on the Bench.

Weakness: Grass ×2
Resistance:
Retreat:

Blissey Meter ex - HP 300 - C
Stage 1, Evolves from Chansey

[C][C] Egg Bomb 220
If your opponent’s Active Pokémon was Knocked Out by damage from this attack, take 1 less Prize card.

[C][C][C][C] Hefty Tackle 200+
You may do 100 more damage. If you do, this Pokémon does 100 damage to itself.

Meter Skill
Ability: Joyous Healing

During your turn, heal 200 damage and all Special Conditions from your Active Pokémon.

Weakness: Fighting ×2
Resistance:
Retreat: [C][C][C][C]

Eelektross Meter ex - HP 320 - L
Stage 2, Evolves from Eelektrik

Ability: Conductivity Buffer
Prevent all effects of attacks done to your [L] Pokémon by attacks from your opponent’s Pokémon. Prevent all damage done to your Benched [L] Pokémon by attacks.

[L][L][C] Multi-Thunder 100
Discard all [L] Energy from this Pokémon. Choose 1 of your opponent’s Benched Pokémon for each of your Benched [L] Pokémon in play. (You can choose a Pokémon more than once.) For each time you chose a Pokémon, do 40 damage to it. (Don’t apply Weakness or Resistance to Benched Pokémon.)

Meter Skill
Ability: Gigamotor

During your turn, choose up to 5 of your Benched Pokémon. For each of those Pokémon, attach a [L] Energy from your discard pile to that Pokémon.

Weakness: Fighting ×2
Resistance:
Retreat: [C][C]

Kingambit Meter ex - HP 330 - M
Stage 2, Evolves from Bisharp

[M] Board Command 130
If you have 3 or fewer Benched Pokémon, you may search your deck for a Pawniard and a Bisharp and put them onto your Bench. Then, shuffle your deck.

[M][C] Active Slicing 170
During your opponent’s next turn, whenever 1 of your opponent's Pokémon moves from their Bench to the Active Spot, you may put 5 damage counters on their new Active Pokémon.

Meter Skill
[M] King’s Gambit 90+
Discard any number of your Benched Basic or Stage 1 Pokémon. This attack does 90 more damage for each Pokémon discarded in this way.

Weakness: Fire ×2
Resistance: Grass -30
Retreat: [C][C][C]

Small Meter Canister - Trainer - Item

You must play 2 Small Meter Canister cards at once. (This effect works one time for 2 cards.)

Boost your Meter Gauge by 1.

Scientist’s Breakthrough - Trainer - Supporter

Search your deck for up to 2 Small Meter Canister cards and a Pokémon Meter ex, reveal them, and put them into your hand. Then, shuffle your deck.

Burnt Out Energy Plant - Trainer - Stadium

Both player’s Pokémon can’t use Meter Skills.

Shady Charged Dial - Trainer - Pokémon Tool
The Pokémon ex this card is attached to can use this Meter Skill.

Ability: Shadow Cache
During your turn, put 1 card from your discard pile on top of your deck.

Nova Charged Dial - Trainer - Pokémon Tool
The Pokémon ex this card is attached to can use this Meter Skill.

[C][C][C] Ultimate Turbo 150
Search your deck for up to 3 Basic Energy cards and attach them to your Pokémon in any way you like. Then, shuffle your deck.

Last edited:
This is a very interesting concept! It feels similar enough to GX attacks and VSTAR powers that it doesn't feel intrusive, but at the same time it is original enough that it is reminiscent of the introduction of Counters and Markers to the game. In fact, the entire concept of the Meter Gauge and Meter Skills reminds me of the Hungry Snorlax promo and its Food Counters, only in this case, the Snorlax is accumulating counters passively instead of by using a Stockpile-like attack.

I would personally have started the game with the gauge at 0. Squawkabilly ex is an example of how powerful being able to dig through your deck on the first turn of the game is, letting Miraidon ex players set up their boards with terrifying speed, and while Sableye Meter ex doesn't favor decks that can play down all their key pieces instantly quite as lopsidedly, the right deck (perhaps one that plays lots of Switching effects) could still theoretically pair Sableye Meter ex with Squawkabilly. Also, a turn 2 King's Gambit can easily blow anything to smithereens, and could probably be repeated later in the game. However, the current format is fast enough that it would be hard to use more than one Meter Skill if you didn't get to use it on turn 1. In older formats, where setup was slower (and often less lopsided) and 2HKOs were more common, you would get more chances to use Meter Skills, allowing for room for exploring the mechanic.

I'm not sure about using a four-sided die, since such dice have no obvious "facing up" position, only an obvious "facing down position" (that being one of the disadvantages of the tetrahedron shape), but I'm also not sure about using four individual markers. My initial reaction would be using a small spinner with a clearly labeled, four section pie chart and a tab sticking out at the top with an arrow pointing back down to the current side. This way, the entire process is still being tracked by one piece, but the piece would probably have to be about as wide as a GX marker and as tall as it was wide.

I'd like to thank everyone for their interest in this new mechanic, it makes me happy that people think this is a cool concept. I'd like to expand it more, so I'll be making 3 more Meter ex (after this one) each of the types that haven't been represented yet. Alongside these Pokémon, I will also be making some more Trainer cards. I hope you all enjoy what I have cooked up! :D
Special Thanks to the Pokémon TCG Custom card community for insight and interest.

Sceptile Meter ex - HP 310 - G
Stage 2, Evolves from Grovyle

Ability: Jungle Affinity
Your [G] Pokémon can evolve during your first turn or during the turn you play them.

[G][G] Leaf Gale 90+
This attack does 30 more damage for each [G] Energy attached to all of your [G] Pokémon.

Meter Skill
[G][G] Blossoming Blade 50×

Attach any number of Basic Energy cards from your hand to your Pokémon in any way you like. This attack does 50 damage for each Energy card attached in this way

Weakness: Fire ×2
Resistance:
Retreat: [C]

Contaminated Leaf - Trainer - Item

Look at the top 4 cards of your deck. If your Meter Gauge is at 3, look at the top 6 cards of your deck instead. You may reveal any number of [G] Pokémon and Basic [G] Energy cards you find there into your hand. Shuffle the other cards back into your deck.

Meter sounds like such a fun mechanic, and a really interesting taking on limited-use mechanics like GX attacks and VStar powers. The flavor especially seems like it'd work really well in a fighting game-inspired set.

I'm not sure about using a four-sided die, since such dice have no obvious "facing up" position, only an obvious "facing down position" (that being one of the disadvantages of the tetrahedron shape), but I'm also not sure about using four individual markers. My initial reaction would be using a small spinner with a clearly labeled, four section pie chart and a tab sticking out at the top with an arrow pointing back down to the current side. This way, the entire process is still being tracked by one piece, but the piece would probably have to be about as wide as a GX marker and as tall as it was wide.
I agree about the 4-sided dice, but I think pulling out a spinner for each game seems so odd to me... like too board gamey? I'm not sure. I can see two different ways of doing it instead. I think a practical way to do it is by using three markers with two different sides, with one side being 1 and the other being 0. So at the beginning of each turn, you flip 1 of your markers from 0 to 1. (This could help make use of all the Pokémon coins we all have laying around—just remember what coins you're using for meter so you don't accidentally flip them!) Another way to do it could be placing a marker (dice, damage counter, coin, etc.) on a small strip with three spaces like a meter in a fighting game, and once each space is marked, your meter is full.

Back