BW/BW2 Interesting Interview With Gamefreak; No Pokemon Gray? Doubtful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shining Dragon

Aspiring Trainer
No 3rd Game for Gen V? Doubtful
A Spanish site has posted an interview with GameFreak in which they have declared Pokemon Black and White to be the last games in this iteration. Of course this declaration does not impact whether or not we get AquaSapphire and MagmaRuby, but unfortunately this looks like a no-go for Pokemon Grey (or Gray? Or why debate the spelling of a fan-guessed title for a game we now speculate may never exist?). I have my own doubts as to whether anything got lost in translation between Japanese, Spanish, and English, but this is definitely interesting news. Would definitely be ground breaking for the series not to cash in on a 3rd version.

As Serebii and I were discussing though, there is the fact that an interview with GameFreak (in Japan) had said that a third game would go deeper into N’s history and reveal his name. Tackman also points out that there are items and attacks that would seem to coordinate with the third legendary, Kyurem, that are not seen in Black or White. Is this rumor busted? Probably. But it’ll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Source: Pokejungle

This theory was already declared 99% false on serebii. Nintendo said there were no PLANNED sequels to Black and White. They never said there wasn't going to be anything new at all...

This is false... And your source is apparently banned from mention so I question it's credibility. Sorry, but your second paragraph is correct. I wonder where that interview came from though...

Every generation so far has had a "third." Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum. I see no reason why they would want to stop now. Pokemon Black and White are the fastest selling games for Nintendo. Continuing would make the best sense of all.

@Oshawott And Tepig: Firered and Leafgreen are remakes. they don't need a third version because they incorporate things from all three original games. As do Heartgold and Soulsilver and if Ruby and Sapphire get remakes, they will too.

Of course they aren't going to reveal any other games right now. That would ruin the point.
"So, are you working on anything at the moment?"
"Oh, we're working on Grey and Generation 6"
No, it doesn't work like that. If it did, then we would have learned about Black and White a LONG, LONG time ago, since it started development after Platinum was released.

@O+T

I SAID GENERATION!!! (lol) Firered and Leafgreen were in the same generation as Ruby and Sapphire, which had a "third" (Emerald)

I think they will have a third, but they need to promote the first two as hard as possible first ;)

I think the promoting isn't much of an issue at this point. I just saw two different Black and White commercials within the same commercial time-slot.

I wouldn't be surprised if there WAS a third game. All GameFreak wants is money, and a third version is the jackpot. I'm just not too sure about it being called gr(a/e)y...

We just need a Battle Revolution sequel for the Wii that's compatible with the new Black & White games and I think we're set. This needs to be made, sure people say PBR was horrible however it made competitive battling with Pokemon DS games connecting to the Wii much more interesting.

You have to consider that it will start taking them longer and longer to start making these games too. The full animated sprites, the season changes, etc... all add time to the development.

First off, doesn't this belong in the Future Games Speculation Thread? Next, isn't it a bit of a good thing if we don't get Grey/Gray? This would mean we get the Gen 3 remakes quicker, which means we get the 6th Gen quicker.

^eager arnt we.

crystal, emerald, platinum would like to have a word with you. they prove other wise that there will be a third game. its going to happen

But about when Gamefreak announced that these games are a 'reboot' to the series? Just to let you know, (and not to bash for that matter), anything can happen. But we all have our own opinions, and this is mine.

^Exactly. Games, remakes, special edition game; games, special edition game, remakes… –– I've always been perfectly happy with the release cycles to this point, and without a doubt the games of course, but a reboot ought to warrant some new creative ideas, both the developers and the fans need to get their heads out of this corporate-safety/predictability gutter and dare to do something new, that's the spirit that has always made this series so spectacular and successful in the first place.

You have to consider that it will start taking them longer and longer to start making these games too. The full animated sprites, the season changes, etc... all add time to the development.

Black and White were in development for three years starting in 2007, nearly around the time Diamond and Pearl saw its international release, and considering they were developed for the same platform, the process must have levied some wholesale, profound changes to take so long (especially since they've been using more or less the same engine since RBGY). Rest assured, if Game Freak is ever going to do something new as far as a video game is concerned, it's been in development for quite a long while already. Of course they're not going to be vocal about it in the Black and White craze, as it would damage both fan interest in the long run and ultimately, at least on Nintendo's part, monetary gain. If that wasn't the case we might've known about Reshiram and Zekrom when Dialga and Palkia were maybe only a few weeks old! Man, if only we could get one look in the vault, or whatever they have going over there in Tokyo :), I'm sure it'd be nothing short of amazing.

Gary Walsh said:
^Exactly. Games, remakes, special edition game; games, special edition game, remakes… –– I've always been perfectly happy with the release cycles to this point, and without a doubt the games of course, but a reboot ought to warrant some new creative ideas, both the developers and the fans need to get their heads out of this corporate-safety/predictability gutter and dare to do something new, that's the spirit that has always made this series so spectacular and successful in the first place.

Their mindset is basically this:

"We don't want to lose any money so we're not going to take any risks due to the world financial crisis."

Btw Game Freak did add a few new things in BW such as Wonder Room...

No wonder we had no information on the third game. This still doesn't prove anything. We got Platinum a couple years after Diamond and Pearl, please correct me if i'm wrong. We might get a third game later than expected, due to poor planning. There is still a chance! Possibly after Ruby and Sapphire remakes. (Yes, I still believe it)

Their mindset is basically this:

"We don't want to lose any money so we're not going to take any risks due to the world financial crisis."

Btw Game Freak did add a few new things in BW such as Wonder Room...

I'm not discrediting Black and White of course, they've brought some of the most profound and wholesale changes and additions to the series in a decade in a half! :) What I mean is that I would encourage Gamefreak to use these changes as a base for more changes – changes that would extend from just gameplay mechanics to possibly a whole game entirely. I applaud what's been done in Black and White immensely, it is through and through a successful reboot, but Black and White only rebooted mechanics and canon, they don't change much of the series from a conceptual standpoint, and people are still stuck in Pokémon's resilient conventions. People need to start asking questions such as, "why do we need starters," or "why do we need items, TMs, new Pokémon, old Pokémon, trainers, Pokéballs, battles, contest, a third game, remakes, etc. etc." In fact, why do we need anything? What people need to do is throw out the window their pre-concieved notions about what Pokémon is and what they want it to be, and start from nothing but a clean slate, redefining the fundamental elements that make something what it is. If you have an understanding and genuine appreciation of everything inside a Pokémon game without taking anything for an assumption or given, you can form a more creative and amazing vision of what Pokémon can become. I'd like people to just open up their minds for a moment, and get out of the brain-dead cycles of convention that merit the stagnation of a series. If you just buy and buy just because you need the next Pokémon game, or if you're waiting for the "6th Generation," "7th Generation," or hell an infinity generation already without a care in the world if they're any new, are you really a fan? Because when it all boils down, these people are just addicts, gluttonous consumers that just gobble up one game and are already looking for more, regardless of how genuinely intended or well-crafted the game is. There's a fine line between art and business now, and we really need to decide what side of the line we're really on, however thin it may be. If one were a real Pokémon fan, they'd be above what Nintendo wants them to be, and they'd know what Pokémon is and how to make its experience completely new, unique, creative, thoughtful, and fully genuine as we progress into the future, because it's that experience people love Pokémon and the Pokémon world for, not the material games themselves. Black and White are two games that are getting us to that ideal, an ideal that should be fully realized before any developer sits down at that conference table, or any fan opens up that box.

But, I digress…

And in my opinion, I don't think world financial strains are really impacting game software, even more so a developer's design decisions, at that point it becomes more convoluted and vague as to make a connection with global economic happenings. I think the international economy is really putting a strain on video game hardware though, as prices have much more significance and a couple of bucks here and there can really influence a buyer's decision if their not rabidly interested. …Well, unless you're in Greece or Ireland, in which case there's not gonna be any video games around the house for a looong time :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back