Discussion Infernape's Viability

I1lucky

Your local Infernape
Thanks to the inclusion of my favorite Pokemon Infernape in the Steam Siege set I felt obligated to try and make him fit in a deck in as competitive as it can go in and I did. Long story short. It's one of the hardest hitting most consistent and adaptable list I've ever made. I'll post the list as soon as I can but I ran a 2-1-2 line with 3 volcanian EX, 3 Regular Volcanion, 2 Entei, and a flareon EX

What surprised me was it literally never decked out. If you can put your deck in to a state of only fire energy you can chain the fire energies over and over if you play it smart.

Have any of you guys found another reliable way to play Infernape?

I can't seem to find a way in Standard, but in expanded, however, you have your blacksmiths, Battle Compressors, Fiery Torch, Etc. it's too bad you can't use Volcanion-EX to boost infernapes damage. You could run 4 Ultra Ball, like 20 Fire Energy, And Scorheced Earth. While I think that it is an ansanely powerful card, there's no good way to get the energy in the discard and it's too hard to get out, Sorry man but if there was a way to play him I'd tell ya.

I actually threw together a fun little deck that played him. I did a 4-2-4 line of him with 2 baby Volcanion and 2 Volcanion EX. Trick is to have lots of trainer search cards so you can always have a pokemon Ranger in your hand and play it to swing for 200 with just the two energy attached.

I don't know if you are using pokemon ranger correctly.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But pokemon ranger removes effects from attacks previous to the use of the support. Stuff like resistance blizzard or quaking punch.

It seems like you think that using it removes the effects of ur attacks after playing said supporter. As though it allows you to ignore the text requirements for attacks.

I actually threw together a fun little deck that played him. I did a 4-2-4 line of him with 2 baby Volcanion and 2 Volcanion EX. Trick is to have lots of trainer search cards so you can always have a pokemon Ranger in your hand and play it to swing for 200 with just the two energy attached.
Pokemon Ranger only removes effects of attacks on THE PLAYER OR EITHER PLAYER'S POKEMON since the having to have 10 [R] Energy in the discard is not an effect on the pokemon but is instead a secondary effect of the attack, there's no way to skip this secondary effect meaning you have to legitamately get energy in the discard whether it's through Steam Up, Fiery Torch, Compressor, Sycamore, Ultra ball, or knocked out pokemon, and even then you have to bring those straight back into your deck overall Infernape isn't the best card to build a deck around because you need to run at least 12 Energy, when most decks only run 5-8, although in EVO they're making Ninetales BREAK which can make this deck slightly more viable

Edit: Greninja'd by @Ivy_Profen

Thanks for the clarifications guys, I was playing that card completely wrong haha. Yeah, that infernape sucks then. Good thing that was just a fun side deck.

Maybe try Psychic's Third Eye. You can discard as many cards from your hand as you like, then draw that many cards. If you play a few Prof. Letter, then Psychic, you can quickly get at least 4 energy discarded. Besides that, I have no other recommendations besides playing as many cards to discard energy as possible.

Back