Ideas for team members?

TheWhiskaz_

Friendly Neighborhood Hunter
Hi all. I want to get back to competitive VG battling but I have literally no idea as to what even half of the team should be. I have decided on one member, Aegislash, but I really do not know where to go from there. Here's the Aegislash build:

Aegislash @ Weakness policy
Quiet
EVs: 252 HP/56 Atk/200 Sp Atk
IVs: 8 Spe (because that's the closest I could get to 0)
Shadow Ball
King's Shield
Sacred Sword
Hidden power Ice

Shadow Ball for Ghost STAB, King's Shield for Stance Change stuff. Sacred Sword for perfect type coverage with Shadow Ball and to deal with stuff like Chansey/Blissey. Hidden Power Ice to get rid of threats that would otherwise KO it easily, such as Garchomp and Landorus-T.

What team members would provide good synergy with Aegislash. Also, Mega? could Mega Aerodactyl work when paired with something like Mienshao? I had prepared this Mienshao build in case I wanted to use it:

Mienshao @ Focus Sash
Jolly
Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
Fake Out
Quick Guard
U-turn
High Jump Kick

And the Aerodactyl build was this:

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Jolly
Pressure -> Tough Claws
252 Atk/252 Spe/ 4 HP
Rock Slide
Sky Drop
Wide Guard
Ice Fang

Would these two work, or should I look at other Pokémon?

So, assuming you used the correct prefix and indeed are looking for advice on VGC 2015 format (Battle Spot Doubles) here's a few tips. If not, disregard.

Chansey is seldom seen in VGC, and after Weakness Policy a Flash Cannon OHKOs Mega Kangaskhan (and pretty much everything that doesn't resist it), so Sacred Sword is a bit moot. HP Ice is better off being switched for either Substitute or Wide Guard.

You'll definitely want Protect on the others (unless you really like getting OHKO'd by faster pokes) and High Jump Kick is a bad idea in a format that favors Protect. Unless you're really paranoid about priority you can swap Quick Guard for Knock Off.

Mega Aero isn't that bad, although it really wants redirection support and perhaps something that can make use of Sky Drop (for example, Thunder and Hurricane can still hit opposing pokes trapped in Sky Drop) and Wide Guard is better on a bulky poke. Keep in mind that Aero is frail and considering that this is doubles, it can go down in a single turn.

As for more pokes to add, Cresselia is a good choice. With Icy Wind for Speed Control and Helping Hand to give its partner a damage boost, some opponents will be pressured into targetting it rather than an offensive threat. Cress has solid bulk as well, so it takes quite a bit to knock out. Leftovers or Rocky Helmet are good item choices for it.

If you're concerned about Water (your team doesn't really have good outs to it) you can opt to use either of the Storm Drain users (Gastrodon or Cradily) or Ludicolo (Swift Swim) as a Rain counter.

Would love to add more, but brainfarting at the moment :/ Hope some of this helped.

Mega Aerodactyl really doesn't compliment Aegislash that well. As a mega there are far better options. Politoed would be a great example of a Pokemon that compliments Aegislash well because its ability, Drizzle, changes the weather to water so it would take less damage from fire attacks. It also is able to hit both ground and fire types super effectively.

I'd recommend a set that has Scald, Ice Beam, Protect, and a filler move such as Psychic. Ice Beam is for dealing with the numerous dragons and flying Pokemon you will see. Protect is basically a staple for VGC format for any Pokemon that isn't choiced or running Assault Vest.

I'd like to know more about what kind of team you are trying to build before giving you further advice.

Back