• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard I need help tuning my daughters first standard deck

Merovingian

Dead Game Enthusiast
POKEMON: 21
4 Pikachu (Breakthrough)
4 Growlithe (Generations)
3 Arcanine (Generations)
3 Raichu (Generations)
3 Flying Pikachu
2 Victini (XY Black Star Promo)
2 Pikachu Libre

TRAINERS: 18
4 Enhanced Hammer
4 Acro Bike
3 Pokemon Fan Club
3 Tierno
2 Teammates
2 Professor Oak's Hint

ENERGY: 21
9 Lightning Energy
8 Fire Energy
4 Double Colorless Energy

All right. It isn't the best deck out there. My daughter just started the Pokemon card game not too long ago and going off of what Pokemon she gravitates towards, I'm trying to build a standard deck to reflect that so that she can go into Pokemon Leagues.

I want to give her as good as a deck something like this can be (she LOVES Pikachu and Victini), and quite honestly I can use all the help and fine tuning I can get (as I've been out of the game for way too long. But I'm trying to browse the current card library and try to work from there).

Hello! Well, asking for a Pikachu/Victini deck is going to be a tall order, but I'm going to do what I can to help! Since you are her Father, I'm sure searching for cards for her isn't going to be an issue, so here we go!

First, I think basing the deck around Pikachu would be better, simply because the cards available will carry her much farther (meaning less disappointment, which is important for a young one). That means you will want either a Pikachu-Raichu (Circle Circuit) line up with fun benched Pokemon (yes, you can include Victini), or something like Pikachu-EX with Magenezone BKT (this will allow her to attach lots of energy to Pikachu and hit things with a HUGE explosion, which I'm sure she'll love if you explain that it's a giant "Boom!"). So, as examples, they would start off with something like this:

4 Pikachu (BKT)
4 Raichu (GEN)
2 Pikachu Libre
2 Flying Pikachu

4 Sky Field

or

4 Pikachu-EX
3 Magnemite (BKT 51)
1 Magnemite (BKT 52)
2 Magneton (BKT)
4 Magnezone (BKT)

1-2 Fisherman

4 Rare Candy

Now, realistically, what you do from here simply depends on how well you want her deck built. If you want something REALLY good for her, obvious Pokemon that are good for both decks are things like Shaymin-EX, Trubbish/Garbodor for the Pikachu/Raichu list, etc. But, if it's leaning towards a budget, I would highly suggest grabbing 2 Remoraid and 2 Octillery for both. Call the Octillery "Sushi Master" (coined by Darkintegralgaming) and I'm sure she'll be thrilled. Also, it'll give her the appropriate draw power she needs to be able to continuously fill her bench or grab more Energy Cards.

So, from here, I'll give you two fleshed out lists just to save a bit of time. It should all be fairly logical and if you have any questions, let me know. I'll do what I can to keep helping!

Pikachu/Raichu:
4 Pikachu (BKT)
4 Raichu (GEN)
2 Pikachu Libre
2 Flying Pikachu
2 Remoraid (BKT 31 or 32)
2 Octillery (BKT)
4 Unown (AOR)

4 Professor Sycamore
3 N
2 Lysandre
1 Bridgette or Teammates

4 Level Ball
4 VS Seeker (These are important)
3 Trainers' Mail
2 Ultra Ball (Since Level Ball grabs everything)
1 Escape Rope
1 Switch
1 Super Rod

4 Sky Field

4 Double Colorless Energy
4 Fire Energy

Pikachu-EX/Magnezone:
4 Pikachu-EX
3 Magnemite (BKT 51)
1 Magnemite (BKT 52)
2 Magneton (BKT)
4 Magnezone (BKT)
2 Remoraid (BKT)
2 Octillery (BKT)

4 Professor Sycamore
3 N
1 Olympia
1 Lysandre
1 Fisherman
1 Skyla

4 Ultra Ball
4 VS Seeker
4 Rare Candy
2 Trainers' Mail
2 Fighting Fury Belt
2 Energy Retrieval
1 Level Ball
1 Super Rod
1 Professor's Letter

10 Lightning Energy

And there you go! I hope this has helped and once again, if you have any questions, let me know and I'll do my best to continue aiding you!

-Asmer

That's quite an impressive couple of builds! Thank you!

I showed my daughter both lists and I showed her Octillery. I didn't even get to mention 'Sushi Master' before she read Abyssal Hand and exclaimed 'THAT'S REALLY USEFUL!'

I did avoid showing her Shaymin EX. She'd love the look of it, but my wallet sure doesn't! As much as I want to get her the best I can get, it's budget for a while.

The first deck you built (Circle Circuit) is exactly what she's looking for. I'll start building! Thanks again!

[EDIT] I showed my daughter Audino EX. And she's onboard. So We might be able to replace Victini with that

Last edited:
That's quite an impressive couple of builds! Thank you!

I showed my daughter both lists and I showed her Octillery. I didn't even get to mention 'Sushi Master' before she read Abyssal Hand and exclaimed 'THAT'S REALLY USEFUL!'

I did avoid showing her Shaymin EX. She'd love the look of it, but my wallet sure doesn't! As much as I want to get her the best I can get, it's budget for a while.

The first deck you built (Circle Circuit) is exactly what she's looking for. I'll start building! Thanks again!

[EDIT] I showed my daughter Audino EX. And she's onboard. So We might be able to replace Victini with that

Sounds perfect! I'm very glad you two are bonding well and that I was able to provide something that she loves! If you have any more questions, let me know. I'll do what I can to help!

Take care and enjoy!

-Asmer

EDIT: I forgot to mention a couple of things. First, if you do replace the Victini, you can drop the Fire Energy for Lightning Energy since they'll be more useful (I also forgot that the other Pikachus could use them earlier). The other thing you may want to consider is a single Special Charge, which allows you to recycle 2 Double Colorless Energy back in to your deck. This is primarily for Raichu (though, most Pokemon in the list can utilize DCE to success), so that may be an idea.

Anyway, once again, enjoy!

Last edited:
you could drop a basic energy for a 4th trainers mail

The energy count looks pretty low. Would the deck still work on 7 energy?

I used to play when Energy Removal and Super Energy Removal were absolutely rampant. The deck looks like it can access the energy pretty quickly but is there a problem with losing energy (namely Enhanced Hammer)?

I used to play when Energy Removal and Super Energy Removal were absolutely rampant. The deck looks like it can access the energy pretty quickly but is there a problem with losing energy (namely Enhanced Hammer)?

Because Audino-EX uses 3 Energy instead of 2, I wouldn't drop any Energy personally. Trainers' Mail isn't necessary at 4 considering all it does it help accelerate your deck's speed a bit. Energy is different since it's much more crucial to have at appropriate moments and it would suck not being able to draw in to it when you need it most.

Still, let her test it out and see how it works for her. That will always be the best determining factor. :D

-Asmer

Because Audino-EX uses 3 Energy instead of 2, I wouldn't drop any Energy personally. Trainers' Mail isn't necessary at 4 considering all it does it help accelerate your deck's speed a bit. Energy is different since it's much more crucial to have at appropriate moments and it would suck not being able to draw in to it when you need it most.

Still, let her test it out and see how it works for her. That will always be the best determining factor. :D

-Asmer

Agreed.

As much as I'd like to purchase our decks outright, I'm having to get the components in pieces with Trollandtoad.

I'm hoping to stop by a shop sometime this week to see if I can get some of the more common cards (and maybe some old cards for my deck) for cheaper than I can find online. But at the rate and my budget are going, I can probably get her deck completed in January. I can probably get my Imakuni? deck built by February.

Still, if you want to get her a competitive deck without breaking the wallet, make Greninja BREAK.

The Greninja BREAK are like 15$ each but to get the entire line, 4 Froakie, 4 Frogadier, 4 Greninja and 3 Greninja BREAK is only 50-55. From there it's trainer cards that every deck uses and depending on how consistent you want it you could spend anywhere from 20$-50$.

I took Greninja BREAK to a tournament, and got 2nd place. The deck is cheap, good, and a blast to play. To get every card in the perfect Greninja Deck is around 120$, but cutting out some things could drop the price down to 80$. Either way, buying the trainer cards to Greninja will be usable in any other deck until rotation next fall.

Raichu decks should run with 4 DCE

EDIT: Sorry, i didn't realize you were putting Audino into it. with Audino EX, 8 energy should be fine

Back