Hyrule Historia Discussion

Meaty

You can't deny that Psyduck is beast. I guess.
http://www.warpzoned.com/?p=16645

Well, here it is. Nintendo decided to reveal their official timeline for the series in the new book "Hyrule Historia" that was released in Japan recently, and well, the timeline is surprising to most. Look at it for yourself and post your thoughts.

RE: Nintendo Reveals Official Zelda Timeline

huh

I'm very happy that they decide to release the timeline and put an end to the speculation. Some of this is old news such as Timeline B and C, however Timeline A is rather interesting not for the series of events, but rather for the fact it picks up if Link dies in OoT. It makes sense since Ganon had got his hands on the full Triforce in ALTTP. Since Link died, the Triforce of Courage was his, and Zelda was p much defenseless after that.

What I think is funny is that everyone tried to put together a split timeline based on two branches, but apparently there were 3 branches all along, and what do you know, all the games in branch A were the ones people had difficulty placing in the other two branches. Makes sense, really...

Woah. While I wasn't expecting it, I gotta say that I'm happy they released the official, definitive timeline. As TDL mentioned, I'm interested in Timeline A, as it's not usually part of the timeline split most theories entail. However, I'm not sure the website linked to is completely correct in the Link is killed in OoT -- I believe the most correct translation is that he is "defeated." What if this refers not to Link facing Ganon and losing as an adult, but rather takes place with Link as a child. Unable to wield the Master Sword due to his age, the timeline technically continues in the "present" with no Link, while Link actually goes 7 years into the future (eventually leading to Timelines B and C). Essentially, it is where Child Link gathers the 3 spiritual stones and pulls the Master Sword (and where Adult Link returns to after returning the Master Sword at any point in OoT -- before Ganon's defeat and getting sent back in time by Zelda, of course). This leads to the Sealing War and ALttP, because at the end of OoT, Link doesn't emerge in this Timeline A, he emerges in Timeline C; it isn't so much as a failure as it is a disappearance of Link from the timeline (as when he eventually gets returned to the timeline at the end of the game, he goes to Timeline C).

I don't believe it means Link being killed or otherwise defeated by Ganon/dorf, because why would OoT Link be the only one whose potential failure impacts the timeline of future games? The answer seems to be because of time travel (in the game which most prominently features it), not his literal defeat.

This may very well not be the case, as I've just read a very basic overview of the timeline (plus it's late), but it is something I've seen discussed that makes a little more sense.

Don't judge. I might feel differently in the morning after I spend a little more time reading about the timeline splits. :p

I actually agree with that, it makes sense to me. Timeline A is pretty much what's going to cause all the questions and discussion, considering everything in timelines B and C were already established (except maybe Four Swords Adventures being after Twilight Princess)

At the beginning of the Wind Waker, when it tells about Link from OoT, It says the OoT Link disappeared shortly after defeating Ganondorf. Timeline C continues from the future, and Link travels back to his childhood. That's where he "disappears".

And shouldn't Majora's Mask be in both Timeline B and C? Because MM takes place when Link is back in his childhood, and Link returns to his childhood in both timelines. Also, if OoT Link is only "defeated" as CMP suggested, wouldn't that mean MM happens in Timeline A, too?

wow, so i can understand hellfire missiles, grey eagles, intricacies of UAVs and military recon, but my head hurts when i tried to think of my past and piece together the games according to the timelines....

haha

i guess i gotta dig up my old games and replay them according to the timeline so itll make better sense...

Timeline C makes the most sense to me since I actually played those three games in order. Since I never had the opportunity to play Oot or any other titles, except for Twilight Princess and A Link to the Past, I don't fully grasp the tie-ins of Timelines A and B.

In any case, I think it's pretty cool that there's been an official timeline released finally.

Eveon said:
And shouldn't Majora's Mask be in both Timeline B and C? Because MM takes place when Link is back in his childhood, and Link returns to his childhood in both timelines. Also, if OoT Link is only "defeated" as CMP suggested, wouldn't that mean MM happens in Timeline A, too?
It could happen, but in order to see MM in timeline A link would have to loose Navi, therefore triggering the other events or wonder into the lost woods after Skull kid got the mask.

The timeline is really interesting and relates the events between games in an impressive manner. Still i didn't see timeline A coming.

For the record, this has not been officially sanctioned by Nintendo, but it was in a Nintendo publication. An official announcement has not been made as to whether or not this is the legitimate timeline.

I feel that the whole three-way split is a bit of a cop out since we see through Ocarina of Time that Link does succeed. Weird idea, but I guess it works. For the most part I had all of this pegged in my personal two-way timeline. The fact that Four Swords Adventure isn't around the same time as Four Swords itself is a bit weird, but hey, I've never actually played those games.

And MM cannot be in timelines B and C, Eveon. Twilight Princess follows it by 200 years+, and if it occured in two timelines it would just further confuse everything.

I really like timeline B, partially because MM and TP are in there, and partially because none those 3 games feature the same Link or even obviously tie in together, really. Timeline C has been common knowledge for a while, and timeline A was more or less established before the whole split timeline thing, when those were the only games around(except for the Oracles.)

I don't think Nintendo even understands the timeline. Nice try, though.

Uuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhgggggg my head hurts. This makes little sense....well I guess it does. But I have only played TP, OoT, MM (Screw that game...it's to frustrating. Maybe I just suck at it or just don't get it but that game is stupid to me.), WW, PH, ST, Brawl, TLoZ, TLoZ2...that's it. Not all of them so maybe that is why it's confusing

I don't really care about a timeline. It's not needed at all.

honestly? I think the timeline makes perfect sense. obviously there are discrepancies (because I don't think they really had a timeline to start with) but other than minor issues everything fits together nicely. timeline A is probably the most interesting part.

Eveon said:
And shouldn't Majora's Mask be in both Timeline B and C? Because MM takes place when Link is back in his childhood, and Link returns to his childhood in both timelines.

I don't think so, because of where the timelines continues from. Although Link is sent back to his childhood in both timelines, you essentially answered your own question when you bring up Link disappearing in Timeline C after defeating Ganondorf. Although we see what happens to Link after he gets sent back in time (through the story of MM), the world where he defeated Ganondorf in the future still exists (but without Link). Think of Timeline B as continuing to see Hyrule (or rather, Termina in MM) from OoT Link's perspective, but Timeline C as seeing Hyrule from the perspective of Hyrulians after Ganondorf's defeat by Link in OoT. Make a little more sense? Unfortunately, alternative timelines seem to be either something you get right away or not at all -- and end up being kind of hard to explain.

catutie said:
Uuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhgggggg my head hurts. This makes little sense....well I guess it does. But I have only played TP, OoT, MM (Screw that game...it's to frustrating. Maybe I just suck at it or just don't get it but that game is stupid to me.), WW, PH, ST, Brawl, TLoZ, TLoZ2...that's it. Not all of them so maybe that is why it's confusing

I don't really care about a timeline. It's not needed at all.

Majora's Mask is a rather difficult game, but once you take the time to figure it out and get through it, you might find that you really enjoyed the ride.

Meaty said:
Majora's Mask is a rather difficult game, but once you take the time to figure it out and get through it, you might find that you really enjoyed the ride.

I rescued the first what ever he is by beating the first temple...but then it was night of the third day and I played the song he gave me but nothing happened so I had to start all....freaking...over.

I do not understand what you mean. do you mean you played the Song of Time to go back to the First Day? if so, you keep the remains from the temple bosses and just move on to the next temple.

if you mean the Oath to Order (given to you by the first giant), it doesn't work unless you play it after rescuing all four giants and playing it at the top of the Clock Tower. after that, the final area and boss is opened up.

Zenith said:
I do not understand what you mean. do you mean you played the Song of Time to go back to the First Day? if so, you keep the remains from the temple bosses and just move on to the next temple.

if you mean the Oath to Order (given to you by the first giant), it doesn't work unless you play it after rescuing all four giants and playing it at the top of the Clock Tower. after that, the final area and boss is opened up.

......I want to throw things...I did that first temple 3 times trying to get it down to a matter of minutes O_O. I was thinking you had to do a speed run of all the levels in the right order and use that song to like...buy some time or something and then once you beat everything and got all the giants you got o the top and beat the dude....but I guess not. I guess you just go beat the level quickly and then beat the boss quick and get the giant and the stuff and then go back to day one and move onto the next level.....

Back