XY How will they treat HM's in the 6th generation?

RE: HMs

I like the Skill idea, I think that would be a great way to solve the HM system's problems. However, I don't think they should make Skills that are based on everything that's ever existed in Ranger. Having to clear obstacles is something that's more significant to the Ranger series, if you did it as often as the main series you'd be taking away focus from catching and battling, which are more important elements to the main series.

It would be cool if there were a select few HMs that could be upgraded for greater functionality and battle power.

For example, there could be a HM that allowed you to Surf, which could be upgraded to a HM that allowed you to both Surf and climb Waterfalls. Or a HM for Strength, which could then also be upgraded to include a Rock Climb ability.

The upgrades steadily boost the base power of the HMs, so they aren't OP early game but not useless late game.

More functionality per HM means fewer moveslots required to use them. No more HM slaves.

bacon said:
Or a HM for Strength, which could then also be upgraded to include a Rock Climb ability.

How does it make sense to make Rock Climb an upgrade for Strength? They have nothing to do with each other.

Speaking of Rock Climb, I don't think they need to bring it back, they can relegate that ability to the bike.

Strength- Pushin' rocks
Rock Climb- Climbin' rocks

You also need to be pretty buff to scale mountains, Strength is a fitting name.

Then again it was just an example.

bacon said:
Strength- Pushin' rocks
Rock Climb- Climbin' rocks

You also need to be pretty buff to scale mountains, Strength is a fitting name.

Then again it was just an example.

They don't require the same abilities, though. You can climb mountains but still be too weak to push boulders, and vice versa.

I think that they should make a new HM... "Climb" where you can climb atop trees and hop along them and find items/pokémon.

Bolt the Cat said:
HMs are a good idea for the most part, but there do need to be some changes made. They shouldn't remove them for Key Items because it's a bit inappropriate to do something without your Pokemon. Furthermore, allowing you to delete HMs at will is also a bad idea because it can lead to situations in which the player becomes trapped. For instance, if you trade over a Pokemon that knows Surf before you get it, Surf to an area that cannot be left without it, and then deleting Surf. It's a stupid mistake to make, I know, but this kind of idiotproofing is necessary, especially in a game aimed at kids. I think the main thing they need to focus on is making them more useful, both in and out of battle. Inside of battle, they need to be made to be powerful and/or useful moves that people would actually want to use. To that end, they need to be a reasonable base power (I'd say about 60+) or useful in some other way. Furthermore, the HM list needs to be a diverse amount of types. Taking into account all HMs that have ever existed, we've had 4 Normal type HMs (Cut, Strength, Flash, and Rock Climb), 4 Water type HMs (Surf, Whirlpool, Waterfall, and Dive), 2 Flying type HMs (Fly and Defog), and 1 Fighting type HM (Rock Smash). Now of course we only have a couple of these per game, but the diversity for each game is equally terrible. It gets a bit ridiculous for the Water type HMs especially, since it means that you have to load up your Water type with them in those games. To that end, let's see less Normal and Water type HMs and more of other types. As for outside of battle, HMs need to have some crucial function beyond the ability to clear random obstacles or warp to a certain area. Not every field move has been or needs to be an HM. So for the ones that currently are like that, they either need to be given more use or downgraded to TMs. With that in mind, here's my idea of what should happen to HMs:

HM 01- Strength: No real changes need to be made to this aside from possibly a change in type (Fighting, maybe?).
HM 02- Fly: Please give this move some better use. Being able to go back to practically any city ever visited is great and all, but still not useful enough to be an HM. What would be interesting for Fly is if you could actually explore the skies, similar to Dive but hopefully done in a way that could be considered unique (I don't really know how, though).
HM 03- Surf: Absolutely nothing needs to be done about this HM, it is without a doubt the most useful HM ever created.
HM 04- Dive: It was fine as it was in RSE, bring it back to its former glory.
HM 05- Dig: Making Dig as an HM would to a lot to help the lack of diversity in the HM list. It's Ground type which is something we don't already have, plus it has a lot of potential as a field move. A good use for it is if you could use it to create paths through loose dirt. For instance, if there's a rock wall in your way and there's no other way through than a column of loose dirt, you can use Dig to clear a path through the wall. Or if the floor is loose you can Dig a pitfall to a lower floor.

Cut, Waterfall, and Whirpool would be made TMs.

They could keep Rock Smash but make it equal to the user's level so it progressively gets better throughout the game.

Also, they could have weather moves have some sort of outside role.

Fly could be used in many ways - to fly up through a cave roof opening, to explore an area of clouds (similar to Dive) to find airborne pokemon, or to jump short distances similar to Rock Climb.

I like the idea of exploring an area of clouds.

And the "skills" idea sounds pretty good to me, too

I actually like the idea of HMs, but I find it annoying that at the start of the game when we get HMs early on, there are few Pokemon that can actually learn the hidden moves... I had no problem with the HMs in the Gen 5 games, so I wouldn't mind if it was kept that way. In earlier generations we needed HMs way too often...especially the annoying Rock Smash, so I'm glad that's a TM now.

Yveltal said:
I actually like the idea of HMs, but I find it annoying that at the start of the game when we get HMs early on, there are few Pokemon that can actually learn the hidden moves.

Just get the regional rodent, it can learn pretty much all of them.

At least I haven't give any "useless" HM to one of my pokemon in BW. I gave fly but to my Golbat (even though I don't use it any more) and Surf to my Samurott ( primary STAB move for in-game).

oakbark said:
Mitja said:
They just have to be usable without teaching.

*pick Cut/prompt by standing in front of bush and A*
-screnn goes to pokemon team
*pick candidate who can use it*
-pokemon uses Cut, keeps moves.

Exactly. I always had the idea that each pokemon would have one or two 'skills' as default. You could have a list of 10-15 skills, like Cut, Surf, Fly, Strength, Dig, Rock Climb, Defog, Rock Smash... etc. Maybe add in some new ones like Electric Shock (to open special doors, or kick-start a vehicle) or Float (to rise up through a cave roof opening similar to how Dive works).

These pokemon skills are assigned to every pokemon, and would be separate from a pokemon's moveset. So, say you catch a LV.5 Machop. Its moveset is Low Kick and Leer. But it also has Strength and Rock Smash as its two skills. The skills don't appear on Machop's moveset, but are still usable in the overworld.

HMs are demoted to TM status, and teaching them to a pokemon doesn't affect their usable skills. Extra skills can be taught to pokemon at certain points of the game by Skill Tutors.

This is the most beautiful idea I've ever seen on this site.

Also, what if the 8 HMs correlated to each type the gyms used?
A Fighting gym that uses the updated Rock Smash, a Water gym using Surf, a Flying type one that gives Fly, etc.

They could come up with some cool HMs that relate to other types, which could be interesting.

I would personally love a range of overworld 'obstacles' if the skills idea was implemented. It'd be nice to re-explore earlier routes and unlock new areas as you gain the ability to use skills.

I mean, how often do you revisit the starting routes after you get to the later stage of the game?

I'd like to see the ability to actually explore the sky using fly, sort of like in pokemon ranger: guardian signs.
0.jpg

If they just made HM's like TM's (specifically that you can teach over them)

Just make them outside of battle usable TM's

There should be a new HM that is a mix of Rock Climb and PokemonFreak44's idea of tree climbing. The move's name? Parkour. It lets you climb rocks, trees, and most importantly, buildings to find items and the such. I figure that very nimble Pokemon like Sneasel and Liepard should be able to learn it. It's also fitting as this is PokeFrance and Parkour originated in France.
oakbark said:
I would personally love a range of overworld 'obstacles' if the skills idea was implemented. It'd be nice to re-explore earlier routes and unlock new areas as you gain the ability to use skills.

I mean, how often do you revisit the starting routes after you get to the later stage of the game?
Once again, another possible idea for HM Parkour!

I hate having a spot wasted in my team as a hm slave so I usually teach 1 or 2 hm's to each of my party members. But that always get's annoying as most of the hm's aren't very powerful or useful attacks. So i'm hoping in the upcoming Pokemon games they'll just have 5 or 6 hm's at the most. Maybe surf, fly, rock smash, cut and flash. But I would also be happy if they just completely got rid of hm's and made them tm's.

Back