Discussion How to play Night March against Seismitoad-EX in Standard

dkatz2003

Aspiring Trainer
So h pokebeach. As a night marcher I'm wondering how to deal with toad. At my league we have no toad players so I have no experience how to play against it. If anybody could give me suggestions or list that has a toad counter I would be forever greatful

As a fellow NM user, I can offer a few bits of advice, though I will say I've yet to face Toad, but that's changing at my locals now so I've started preparing for it.

First off, I run the Vespiquen variant, so the Grass typing is key. I'm also using one copy of Xerosic for certain matchups (knock off Focus Sash/Strong Energy vs. LucarioBats, knock off Spirit Links, etc.), so using that to knock off DCE from Toad can slow them down if they don't have another one to replace it, thus giving you a turn to use your Items. I'm also trying out Psychic's Third Eye as a discard outlet under Item-lock, and the Clairvoyance effect is just a bonus.

Pre-AOR I used to use a 2-2 FFI Leafeon line to fight Seismitoad. One Grass Energy allows you to evolve it with FFI Eevee's Energy Evolution and Soothing Scent can put the Toad to sleep and potentially grant you a free turn or two to use your items again. Post-AOR Vespiquen would probably serve you better since it threatens KOs far better and synergizes with the deck more.

Parallel City can reduce the damage from Seismitoad a fair bit as well, but it only really delays the effects.

Night March last season always ran a single copy of Xersoic. This seasons its been able to go wild without any defense. I'm curios if more defense cards like that will come back.

It's actually really simple. You just get the 180 T1 with a Teammates ready, and you should be all good to go!
Pumpkaboo PHF is the better attacker too, since they need Quaking Punch + Muscle Band + Giovanni's Scheme/Empoleon BKT to KO it.

Back