How much logic do you use when you play Pokemon TCG?

Do you agree with my opinion?

• Total voters

Kitsune_the_Demon

Demonic Trainer
I've become curious on how many players think the way I do as far as what makes them a good player. There are many examples, and one of the examples being the way I look at the game is going over card games in general. I would like to start with the king of all card games, Poker. Many "good" Poker players use a lot of logic when playing the game. As a result I like to keep track of my opponent's hand size, cards in the opponent's deck, and cards in the opponent's discard pile and if it's someone I've played before with the exact same deck, I could get a great understanding of what my percentage of knowing whether or not the opponent has another one in his hand that he/she can play or that how many of a card they run in the deck. Now the greatest difference between card games like Poker, and card games like Pokemon is the fact that not everyone's deck is the exact same like Poker is. However, once you've played the deck before, and know the cards that are in them, you have a huge advantage over the opponent if you're using logic. However, even going against someone you've never faced before, if you know the deck they're using is something that's popular in the meta, then you can get a good idea of what's in it. Thus, I see many decks that win big tournaments are not just the decks that are considered what's "really good" now, but are decks that take people by surprise with either one or no particular main strategy. For no matter how you look at it, you can make a deck that seems "perfect", and still end up losing because the main factor with Pokemon is luck. In order to fix this, I really wish organized play in Pokemon would make each match in a tournament a "best out of three" and possibly include a "sideboard", much like in the TCG, Magic: The Gathering. This could help a little bit more as far as increasing the logic used in the game more.

I do realize however, that Pokemon is a TCG aimed towards a younger audience, so in order to increase the number of products sold they intend to try and keep the game as simple as possible, and have the younger audience use luck more than logic. However, I disagree with this aspect of the game, considering the game is complicated enough in tournament play that they could use a way, more aimed at logic, rather than luck.

Now before I'm through with my ranting, I'm going to summarize what I'd like people to ask themselves and discuss about in this thread:

1. Do you keep track (mentally) of how many cards are in your's and your opponent's discard pile, hand, deck, in play, etc.?

2. Do you agree that there's too much luck involved in the game?

3. Could the game be improved?

Opinions and comments about the above is much appreciated, and thanks in advance!

I know some of the rules but not many because I have only played the game once or twice and that was when I first got into pokemon and I used to watch my friends play it though.:)

1. Not always
2. Yes
3. Definately

I would love every match in tournaments to be best 2 out of 3.

1) Just certain cards that are critical to the matchup (e.g. transcivers, castys, lines, ect.).
2. Nope. If you know what you're doing, you can play around any bad hand. The only 2 luck aspects of the game are opening hand and prizes. Other then that, its all skill.
3. Well, new ways to play cards are always being added (just the other day I saw a pic of pikachu with a oran berry on the card, suggesting pokemon that act as tools). So I think the game is always evolving, so I'm not sure if it can really be "improved".

1 See Papi/Manny
2 Luck is near non-existant, you play your deck, you choose what is in it so it is obvious that you will always end up with stuff in it, there is no luck if you work your odds. Nothing is perfect, what will happen will happen.
3 Nothing is perfect....

1. When I'm playing like a noob, no.
2. Absolutely.
3. How would I know? I gave the TCG up! Not sure of the latest format!

i agree in all 3 or more points! :D and to say a bit than just yes or no... i most honestly believe that the more you know about all cards on format and their posible combos and obviously the best combos for each card, then the more you are able to use "logic" as an advantage to your play. And use combos that are not very popular and a bit complex so that you can confuse your opponent and get him by surprise.

( apearent "noobish" decks played by "pros" are the ones i fear! not archetypes... those are too predictable )

Yes, you must always keep track fo all of the aspects of the game, your disard, hw many cards left in your draw pile, and theirs, your actives, theirs,a ll energy, etc.

Yes it can be improved, and it doesn't have TOO much luck, though it could be toned down a bit perhaps.

yes only no on when im playing a noob
yes
yes i fear noois decks by pro thing to and the a type thing all good decks in format dont run on luck

Psychic Pokemon Master said:
1. Not really...
2. No, i think it depends on whether your deck is good or not....
3. No....

First, it doesnt matter if you have the best deck ever, if you have a lot of terrible draws and you don't get what you need, you'll still lose... Having a good deck will most of the time, greatly increaseing the chance of you winning, but not always.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes

Back