Collecting "How Much is This Card Worth?" / "Is This a Good Trade?"

Caleb Cowden said:
How much would my Secret Rare, Reverse, Shinx from the Platinum Arceus set be worth.
I'd say probably just around $8. Besides being a secret rare and foil, there's nothing really going for the card to make it more valuable.

Is anyone here knowledgeable on Chinese Base Set cards? Need to know what the market value is on a Chinese 1st Edition Base Set Charizard.

Okay, bear with me, as this may get confusing and wordy... I bought this guy's complete Base set. It included a 1st edition Charizard. That was the primary reason behind me buying it, as I've never had a 1st edition Charizard. I got it for what I'm pretty sure is a good deal, because initially I was going to resell the complete set, replacing the 1st edition Charizard with my own shadowless unlimited Charizard. I would then put the 1st edition Charizard into my own personal, completely shadowless Base set. Based on my research, I wouldn't get all of my money back selling his set, but I would get enough back to make it as if I paid about $120 for the 1st edition Charizard, which is an outstanding deal.

Anywho, I'm kind of having second thoughts and now part of me wants to sell the 1st edition Charizard by itself, and then the rest of the 101 cards as a partial set (I don't have a spare Charizard) to make money on the deal. I guess I'm wondering what others would do. I know it depends on the person, and you're not me, yadda yadda, but just give me your opinions please. Would you keep the 1st edition Charizard just for the sake of saying you own one or would you sell it to make your money back as well as net a decent profit?

Everyone knows what I would do.

Keep everything

PsychedelicBreakfast said:
Okay, bear with me, as this may get confusing and wordy... I bought this guy's complete Base set. It included a 1st edition Charizard. That was the primary reason behind me buying it, as I've never had a 1st edition Charizard. I got it for what I'm pretty sure is a good deal, because initially I was going to resell the complete set, replacing the 1st edition Charizard with my own shadowless unlimited Charizard. I would then put the 1st edition Charizard into my own personal, completely shadowless Base set. Based on my research, I wouldn't get all of my money back selling his set, but I would get enough back to make it as if I paid about $120 for the 1st edition Charizard, which is an outstanding deal.

Anywho, I'm kind of having second thoughts and now part of me wants to sell the 1st edition Charizard by itself, and then the rest of the 101 cards as a partial set (I don't have a spare Charizard) to make money on the deal. I guess I'm wondering what others would do. I know it depends on the person, and you're not me, yadda yadda, but just give me your opinions please. Would you keep the 1st edition Charizard just for the sake of saying you own one or would you sell it to make your money back as well as net a decent profit?
It depends, what condition is it in? Personally, I'd grade it, then sell it. I'd put the profit away and reinvest the rest into other stuff I could resell for profit, keep that profit rolling :D

I'd say VG+ to Excellent (maybe a 5 or 6, definitely not 8-10 unfortunately). How much does it cost to get a card graded? I probably wouldn't bother if it's going to eat into my profit too much.

I don't think it would be worth grading it if you'd get that poor of a grade. Grading is mostly to show off those high numbers, and the people who pay more for a graded card are the ones that specifically want mint condition cards.

For the record, grading a single card costs $17 assuming that it's worth is $500 or less. [Source]

I know that I, myself, wouldn't sell it, since that's not my personal collection type, but if you're the type of person who enjoys buying and reselling (which seems to be the case), then turning it over for a profit might be a good choice for you. There's not really a right or wrong answer.

I wanted to know how much Gold M Charizard EX dragon 108/106 is worth. I recently pulled it in 4 booster packs I purchased last week, I also pulled
x2 Gold M Charizard EX Fire in 4 packs also (1 loose pack, and a haxorus blister, are they worth a lot of money? and will they be worth more in the future? I think they are in mint condition, I put them in plastic sleeves right when I got them (I had some in my car) so does anyone know the value.
I also attended the Phantom forces prerelease, and i pulled a Full art Xerosic and Full art Mantric, and I was also wondering what those were worth

PsychedelicBreakfast said:
I'd say VG+ to Excellent (maybe a 5 or 6, definitely not 8-10 unfortunately). How much does it cost to get a card graded? I probably wouldn't bother if it's going to eat into my profit too much.

Well, guess it now depends on what you got the lot for. Athena is correct for the most part, but you also have to factor in the cost of shipping it to PSA (they ask that you insure the card and get tracking, so cost varies on shipping speed/value you insure it for) as well as the $18 it'll cost you to have it shipped back. On top of that, you're looking at 4% + $0.30 in PayPal fees if you don't accept a gift payment, or 13% + $0.30 (14% + $0.60 if you use BIN) if you auction it off on eBay... 0 fees of course if you convince someone to pay you through the gift option.

I'd say if you want to keep it for your collection, then it's not really necessary to grade it. It isn't exactly necessary for selling it either, but it'll increase in value more over time if you grade it.

It's not a good short-term investmet to grade it, but if you're patient, then years down the road, you'll make back more (not counting inflation) than what it cost.

Was this a good trade? I went to a phantom forces prerelease yesterday, and out of my eight packs, I pulled a dialga ex, m manetric ex, and Gengar EX full art. I traded The dialga for lysandre's Trump Card Full Art, and I traded the Gengar Full art for an Entry in the booster draft which was 25 dollars, and this was so ironic..... I pulled another full art gengar EX, and a holo gigalyth, I ended up getting first place, out of 6 people (one of which dropped out) and I got 3 packs for winning and I pulled a holo feraligatr. So what do you guys think?

Pokemonlover903 said:
Was this a good trade? I went to a phantom forces prerelease yesterday, and out of my eight packs, I pulled a dialga ex, m manetric ex, and Gengar EX full art. I traded The dialga for lysandre's Trump Card Full Art

From the competitive point of view, Dialga is more playable than Lysandre's TC, but more from a collector's view, an EX for a FA is acceptable.

Pokemonlover903 said:
and I traded the Gengar Full art for an Entry in the booster draft which was 25 dollars, and this was so ironic.... I pulled another full art gengar EX, and a holo gigalyth, I ended up getting first place, out of 6 people (one of which dropped out) and I got 3 packs for winning and I pulled a holo feraligatr. So what do you guys think?

Well, since you got another FA Gengar out of that, I guess it was a fair deal. Also, I wouldn't value FA Gengar as high as $25, but it's close enough.

About the Phantom Forces cards, do you think the price will drop once the set is released and has been out for a bit? I'm only looking to buy 3 cards from this set (Manectric FA, SR M Manectric and SR Dialga), and the best price I saw for pre-sale ones was $20, $25, and $30 respectively and $75USD seems like a lot for 3 cards, so I was wondering if it was worth waiting until the set had been out for a bit to see if the price goes down?

MegaCharizard said:
$75USD seems like a lot for 3 cards

You clearly don't want to build Virizion/Genesect...

But about you question, yes, they will definitely decrease. How much? That's the real question. Prices stated this early are given based on a card's hype, mostly, so prices will probably settle by the time we have the first big tournament after the set becomes legal.

Anyone know what a holo crystal Charizard from Skyridge would be worth? Got my friends old Pokemon cards and he had a bunch of Skyridge.

Appears to be in excellent condition (on the condition scala thingy).

:)

If they are both holographic yes. Usually EX cards are holo but if not then no unless it is a card error. If it is a card error don't do the trade because error cards are worth a whole lot more usually if not now it will be in a few years or so.:)

JdmKicks94 said:
Would this be a good trade?

My:

Charizard EX FA
Charizard EX XY17
RH Charizard LTR

His:

M Charizard EX #69

His part is worth more, so it wouldn't be a fair trade based on money value and imo a good trade is a fair trade, so no it's not a good trade.
Though you'll get more than what you give.

Why would it not be a good trade? 2 Charizard cards for a better Charizard that is better? Why not? Just wondering since usually a 2 for 1 is a good trade in most cases. Why not for this trade?:)

XY17: $4.50
LT Rev: $2.50
FA: ~$18

M Charizard EX 69: $30+.

The person giving the three cards is coming out ahead because two of the three cards are not worth very much while the one card received is worth much more. That's why.

Back