Discussion How Many New Pokémon Do You Think Will be in Sun & Moon?

so 81 individual dex entries (if ultra beasts do count) bringing the total to 802 which seems on par: 800 + the 2 mythicals.

so 81 individual dex entries (if ultra beasts do count) bringing the total to 802 which seems on par: 800 + the 2 mythicals.

Think so, although I also think it's kind of weird the little koala does not evolve.. And I just read somewhere that there were a couple of blank spaces in the dex.. Which would bring the total a bit higher.. Plus, there could be more Alolan forms.. Sigh, I guess it's still a bit shaky.

Idk, I hope there are more than 81 new Pokémon... I mean, the demo is only 380 mb, the final game is like 3 gb, so... Maybe there is a chance to get new Pokémon

Think so, although I also think it's kind of weird the little koala does not evolve.. And I just read somewhere that there were a couple of blank spaces in the dex.. Which would bring the total a bit higher.. Plus, there could be more Alolan forms.. Sigh, I guess it's still a bit shaky.

Thats what I was thinking they said not every sprite was in the demo and I too was confused Komala was unevolved.

I strongly believe there are more Pokemon to discover...

The reasons why:
  • National dex Pokemon are nowhere to be found
  • Exeggcute didn't appear in the dex leaks...
  • People say there were empty dex entries
  • The actual game is massive
  • I think they tried to remove Pokemon but also left a lot in (maybe on purpose)
  • Some Pokemon need to have evolutions.
  • The lack of Legendary and Mythical Pokemon
  • I'm missing the Dolphin Pokemon
  • I'm Missing the Totem / Strange Souvenir Pokemon
  • Some typings don't even have Gen 7 Pokemon
  • The Chinese Riddler did have everything right and he said: Komala (1 evolution), Drampa (1 (pre)evolution), also Turtonator, Bruxish and Cutiefly should get one extra into they evolution lines.
  • I also miss the rumored Yeti and Ghost (3) pokemon.
  • and more of these
Quote on another forum:

"Apparently they scrubbed out every Pokemon past Hakamo-o and he's the 143rd new Pokemon according to one dataminer."

Last edited:
And here I was thinking about avoiding spoilers, when there wasn't that much to avoid as it turns out.

It's not just that there are fewer than 100 new ones that bother me, it's that
20 of them are legendaries? 20??? That's like 1 out of every 4.

Gen 6 only had 3 legendaries at first, so even though it introduced fewer total pokemon, it felt like it introduced more than this, because its pokemon actually, y'know, populated the world and could breed and exist in multiples. Not to mention 8 of these are UBs, and we still don't know the deal with those. They have shinies and battle preview sprites, but are they actually pokemon? They feel even less like pokemon than legendaries usually feel.

Oh well, I do like the quality if not the quantity. Hopefully the rest of the game is good.

I'm not sure how to phrase this so I'll borrow a line from bugs bunny and say that's all folks.

The empty spaces in the datamine belong to all the totem pokemon - there is a pair (regular & shiny) of blanks corresponding to each one we know already, plus a few more. e.g. Gumshoos has a pair of spaces beside it, as does Alolan Raticate, and so on. These blanks exist because these pokemon are not able to be used in battle, therefore they don't appear on the team preview screen - which is where all these sprites were pulled from.

At least from this we can figure out all the totem pokemon battles. I'll spoiler tag that in case you don't want to know these.

Alolan Raticate
Gumshoos
Vikavolt
Lurantis
Salandit
Mimikyu (twice the blanks here, since Mimikyu comes with two distinct poses)
Kommo-o

There are also a pair of blank in the middle of the Zygarde line. The assumption there, should be that these belong to Zy 1% and Zy 10%, as these two are missing. Assumedly this means that like an egg, even if they take up a party slot they are not usable in battle.

As for some of the other thoughts in thread here, I guess that might teach you not to put so much stock in theories, rumours and fake leaks. Some of them were close - for instance - the snowman Yeti must be the Crabrawler evolution - a Yeti Crab (and I'd bet it'll be called Crabominable :D ). The Dolphin could be the Narwhal Island Guardian. The strange souvenir just refers to Alola as a whole, and not any one pokemon - unless perhaps, all four of the guardians.

As for these two -
  • National dex Pokemon are nowhere to be found
  • Exeggcute didn't appear in the dex leaks...
Regular Exeggcute is there, as is regular Cubone. Along with sprites for the entire pokedex that will be available in Alola. The sprite leak contains 854 separate images. Half those are shiny versions of the other half.

• The lack of Legendary and Mythical Pokemon
Four island guardians, eight Ultra Beasts, two box legendaries (with pre-evos), one cute legendary in Marshadow, mythicals in Type:Null & it's evo, Magearna, as well as the five-stage Zygarde line.. how many more do you want here?

I hate to say it but that's your lot. Don't expect anything more or you will only be disappointed. It should be clear after the smaller XY dex, that Game Freak are looking to focus on quality rather than churning out quantity. We get a smaller amount of pokemon, but every one is brimming with personality. Compared to Gen V, where sure we were spoiled and got tons, but is that any better when half of them are completely forgettable?

And here I was thinking about avoiding spoilers, when there wasn't that much to avoid as it turns out.

It's not just that there are fewer than 100 new ones that bother me, it's that
20 of them are legendaries? 20??? That's like 1 out of every 4.

Gen 6 only had 3 legendaries at first, so even though it introduced fewer total pokemon, it felt like it introduced more than this, because its pokemon actually, y'know, populated the world and could breed and exist in multiples. Not to mention 8 of these are UBs, and we still don't know the deal with those. They have shinies and battle preview sprites, but are they actually pokemon? They feel even less like pokemon than legendaries usually feel.

Oh well, I do like the quality if not the quantity. Hopefully the rest of the game is good.

UB are not considered Legendaries

The empty spaces in the datamine belong to all the totem pokemon - there is a pair (regular & shiny) of blanks corresponding to each one we know already, plus a few more. e.g. Gumshoos has a pair of spaces beside it, as does Alolan Raticate, and so on. These blanks exist because these pokemon are not able to be used in battle, therefore they don't appear on the team preview screen - which is where all these sprites were pulled from.

At least from this we can figure out all the totem pokemon battles. I'll spoiler tag that in case you don't want to know these.

Alolan Raticate
Gumshoos
Vikavolt
Lurantis
Salandit
Mimikyu (twice the blanks here, since Mimikyu comes with two distinct poses)
Kommo-o

Multiple trailers have shown what strongly looks like a Totem Wishiwashi

UB are not considered Legendaries
Well, we don't know if there are many of them, or only one of each. We're not sure, and we don't know what they are. All we know about them in general is that they have shiny variants, and are catch able. They're likely Pokemon, but whether or not they're Legends or not is yet to be answered. However, UBs are confirmed to have a lot to do with Alola's lore and the story the main character gets involved in, so the possibility of them being legendary isn't completely ruled out.

Well, there are 67 new Pokemon, 8 UBs, and 7 Legends, totaling up to 82 Pokemon. There are 18 Alolan forms. 82+18 is 100. Maybe that's why the Rotom-dex flashed the number 100 on its screen in the anime preview?

Multiple trailers have shown what strongly looks like a Totem Wishiwashi

It appears to be just part of a cutscene. Notice there is no sign of the the totem "aura", like there is on the Gumshoos and Raticate we've seen.

It appears to be just part of a cutscene. Notice there is no sign of the the totem "aura", like there is on the Gumshoos and Raticate we've seen.

The totem aura doesnt happen until battle. In the demo a large Hakamo-o is the totem pokemon and a similar cutscene happens where it towers over the player however the aura doesn't happen until the battle starts.

There was also a trailer featuring totem Lurantis where there was no aura again it was before the battle began.

Totem Wishiwashi is 100% confirmed now.

As stated before, the aura doesn't appear until battle begins not during the intro sequence.

Back