How can I improve my Drought team?

www.marriland.com/tools/team-builder#0|0|0|0|0|0|

Try using this. I think once you've put your team through this handy tool you'll see some of your weaknesses.

One of the issues im currently having is that only 1 of my pokes (not counting Ninetales causing the weather itself) really uses the weather, which would be Venusaur. I also have a ton of ice weakness as well as water which is odd seeing as I have 1 fire type on the team. What I really want to do is shift the team around (without removing Ninetales, Venusaur, Landorus or Latios) to make the build better. Terrakion and Donphan I am not attached to and would have no issue removing if need be. Other than that the only poke I wouldnt mind moving from my main four is Latios. (I love my Ninetales, Venusaur just tear people up in the sun, and my Landorus has saved me qutie a few times now.)

You could add in a Fire-type like Heatran or Volcarona. Landorus is, what I consider, to be the most replacable Pokemon on your team (Ninetales brings weather, Venusaur abuses it, Terrakion nukes Tyranitar, Latios is great for anti-rain and Donphan spins with hazards. Landorus just seems to exist).

You could also swap Donphan out for Forretress, keeping both Rapid Spin support and Stealth Rock, while getting several resistances in the process.

With what Bippa is saying im considering the team of Ninetales, Venusaur, Heatran, Latios, Terrakion, Forretress instead. Any thoughts on the effectiveness of this build in comparison to what I was considering before?

Until im able to get my hands on Heatran I have a temporary replacement on my team. Right now it is looking like Ninetales, Venusaur, Charizard, Latios, Terrakion, Forretress.

Well, first off, I'd like to see the sets you use. That would help with evaluation.

The problem here is that a third of your team is nothing but trash. Charizard, while seemingly a good replacement, is just not cut out for OU, as rain is everywhere. Forretress, as we all know, is a poor spinner that tries to fit too much utility on itself and becomes easy setup bait. It's just not worth it. As it is, you could benefit from having Xatu over Forretress because it provides both momentum and hazard (protection). I don't know what could go over Heatran though. Imo, that's the best Pokemon for that slot.

~AoH

Well, I just remembered that you had the Donphan. One of those with Ice Shard could work over Heatran if you can't get Landorus-T. Otherwise, that's about right. Mind posting the sets though?

~AoH

I will post the sets in a few..I do have Donphan lying around and I actually do own a landorus-T thankfully so I can also use that if need be. Should I post the current set of pokemon I have or should I pose the team I was using with my Donphan instead?

-Ninetales @ Leftovers
Drought
Timid 252 SPAtk / 252 Speed / 4 HP
-Flamethrower
-SolarBeam
-Hypnosis
-Fireblast

-Venusaur @ Life Orb
Chlorophyll
Modest 252 SPAtk / 252 Speed / 4 HP
-Growth
-Giga Drain
-Hidden Power [Fire]
-Sleep Powder

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Justified
Jolly 252 Atk / 252 Speed / 4 Atk
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge
-X-Scissor
-Sacred Sword

Forretress @ Leftovers
Sturdy
Relaxed 252 HP / 176 Def / 86 SPDef
-Stealth Rock
-Rapid Spin
-Toxic
-Gyro Ball

Charizard @ Leftovers
Solar Power
Timid 252 SPAtk / 252 Speed / 4 Def
-Sunny Day
-Fire Blast
-Roost
-SolarBeam

Latias @ Life Orb
Levitate
Timid 72 HP / 184 SPAtk / 252 Speed
-Draco Meteor
-Surf
-Recover
-Psyshock

Thats my team right now. Hope this can provide more insight and further help you, help me.

Here are my fixes. Nice overview, but yes, there are some flaws that can be corrected by switching up sets.

Firstly, give Terrakion a Choice Scarf set. That's why Terrakion is even here: to get rid of dragons.

On Venusaur, I would use a Timid nature with a spread of 72 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 180 Spd. This outspeeds Scarf Lati@s, a real threat to your team.

On Ninetales, you really want a defensive set to survive as long as possible. I personally like the following, a SDeftales that can speedcreep everything.
Ninetales @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 212 SDef / 48 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Sunny Day
- Will-o-Wisp
- Flamethrower
- Roar / Pain Split
From Lavos Spawn's Simulation of a Drought team.

Yes, Donphan or Landorus-T should go over Charizard. Xatu should go over Forretress. Note, with the Donphan, I'm slashing Rapid Spin as a replaceable move because you may not need it if you use Xatu well. Feel free to use it as you want. Ice Shard I feel is a must to make up for the absence of Landorus-T should you not use it.

Donphan @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Atk / 176 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Rapid Spin / Knock Off / Stone Edge

Or

Landorus-T @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 200 HP / 64 Atk / 244 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

and

Xatu @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Roost
- Toxic / Thunder Wave

~AoH

Ninetales, Venusaur, Terrakion, Landorus-T, Xatu, Latias. Is that the team you are suggesting? With your corrected sets/fixes? @ AoH

If I said otherwise, then I would have lol. Yes, that's what I suggest, yes. It's up to you about Latios or Latias, but you have the right Latias set there.

~AoH

I am going to keep the Latias that I have..I have fallen in love with this Latias :D...My friends hate the fact that they are losing to my pink doom bringing dragon

If your team has many weaknesses to Water, wouldn't Rotom benefit your team? You could use a form that suits your style but stick a good Electric attack on it that would be super effective against Water.

No, Rotom formes are not apt for sun now. Rotom-W is neutered considerably, and Rotom-H and Rotom-C are respectively outclassed by Heatran and Venusaur. Even so, he has three water weaknesses but also has two resistances, one of which is Latias and the other is one who uses most bulky waters as setup fodder. Waters also have their STABs cut in sun, so they shouldn't trouble him in any way.

Just saying.
~AoH

Eeeeeh, one could argue that Rotom-H has a considerable niche in OU. He has BoltBeam resistance, Volt switch, Ground immunity, and Pain Split. Really you can't compare Heatran and Rotom-H. That being said, I think the team is good as is right now.

I would strongly consider running Gastrodon with Storm Drain in a Drought Team If this is Doubles Format, why you ask? Because most likely your Opponent is going to try to use a Water Type move on your team (due to being mostly Fire and Ground Types) and Storm Drain redirects the damage toward it like a boss. With this kind of strategy that leaves your partner in a Double Battle with the option of getting around it's Type Disadvantage a whole lot easier.

Sure they can hit Gastrodon with a Grass Type move like Grass Knot or Energy Ball, but that's why you could run Recover as a healing move alongside more heal support in your team such as Wish or have Focus Sash on Gastrodon possibly. If you do decide to run Gastrodon in a Drought team I would go with Water Pulse over Surf so that you don't hit your Fire Type partners, maybe also go with a Hidden Power that gives your Team even more coverage.

Gastrodon with Storm Drain is also really good in Sandstorm teams in Double Battles cause your opponent's won't see it coming. They'd be like "Oh I bet I can take this Tyranitar out with a Surf or Hydro Pump..." then Gastrodon comes in and absorbs the damage leaving T-Tar unscathed. As for Singles Format, Gastrodon isn't all that great cause he shines best when he has a partner to cover for. He'd be okay in Trick Room due to having very low Base Stats in Speed.

Sorry my bad. Here's a Gastrodon set made for this kind of strategy...

Gastrodon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk / 240 HP / 16 Sp. Def
Nature: Modest / Quiet

* Water Pulse / Scald
* Earth Power
* Ice Beam / Icy Wind
* Hidden Power Grass / Recover

Back