• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Honchcrow/Decidueye GX (Guardians Rising)

JadeGemTM

In terms of water, we have water
Forum Mod
Jade's Deckplosion deck #2

So here's a deck I haven't really seen anyone messing with, but I feel could have some potential. Honchcrow's second attack does 10 damage plus 10 more damage for each damage counter on all of your opponents Pokemon. This deck has done pretty well in my testing.

Pokemon(20)

~ ~ ~
4 Murkrow GUR
~ ~ ~
4 Honchcrow GUR
~ ~ ~
3 Rowlet SuMo
~ ~ ~
3 Dartrix SuMo
~ ~ ~
3 Decidueye GX SuMo
~ ~ ~
1 Tapu Lele GX GUR
~ ~ ~
2 Shaymin EX ROS
~ ~ ~

Trainers(33)

~ ~ ~
3 Professor Sycamore
~ ~ ~
3 N
~ ~ ~
2 Lysandre
~ ~ ~
4 Forest of Giant Plants
~ ~ ~
4 Ultra Ball
~ ~ ~
3 Level Ball
~ ~ ~
4 VS Seeker
~ ~ ~
1 Field Blower
~ ~ ~
3 Choice Band
~ ~ ~
2 Float Stone
~ ~ ~
4 Trainers Mail
~ ~ ~

Energy(7)

~ ~ ~
4 DCE
~ ~ ~
3 Basic Grass
~ ~ ~

Let me know what you think! Is Lele actually needed. Did I forget something important?

Last edited:
Hello @Jadethepokemontrainer

This deck could certainly be one worth looking at, so it's good that you're picking it up. Just a heads up though, your opening post states;

Honchcrow's second attack does 10 damage plus 10 more damage for each energy attached to all of your opponents Pokémon.

I imagine this is just a typo but Honchkrow's Raven's Claw attack actually does 10 more damage for each damage counter on all of your opponent's Pokémon. With that in mind, I don't see Decidueye putting enough damage on the board for you to take advantage of with Honchkrow - it'd certainly be a long time before you're hitting OHKO numbers.

As for how to play this deck, I can't help but feel that Tapu Koko will be the best partner - perhaps with a whacky mix of Wide Lens and Captivating Poké Puff. Tapu Koko is the ideal starter as it has an amazing spread-damage attack (Flying Flip), Energy synergy with Honchkrow (as they both require DCE), and its free retreat makes it the perfect pivot. With this in mind, you may also like to consider Mew from Fates Collide. I'm anticipating a lot of Garbodor in the new format and Mew could be a good way to take advantage of the trend - with DCE and Wide Lens you could be hitting their whole board for weakness by copying Tapu Koko's Flying Flip.

Other ideas to consider are the Eeveelutions from Ancient Origins and maybe even Espeon-GX - a timely Divide GX could take multiple knockouts and/or power up your Raven's Claw. However, with multiple Stage 1 Pokémon, it might be too inconsistent to be successful.

Here's my suggested starting list:

Pokémon (16)

4 Tapu Koko
3 Murkrow
3 Honchkrow
2 Tapu Lele-GX
2 Shaymin-EX
1 Tauros-GX
1 Mew

Trainers (40)

4 Professor Sycamore
2 N
2 Lysandre
2 Hex Maniac
1 Ninja Boy
1 Lillie

4 VS Seeker
4 Ultra Ball
4 Trainers' Mail
3 Captivating Poké Puff
3 Choice Band
2 Escape Rope
2 Special Charge
1 Wide Lens
1 Field Blower

4 Team Magma's Secret Base

Energy (4)

4 Double Colourless Energy

One of the main combos in this list depends on the final ruling for Team Magma's Secret Base Vs Captivating Poké Puff.

The information available says that Pokémon benched by the effect of Captivating Poké Puff, whilst Team Magma's Secret Base is in play, do trigger the effect of Team Magma's Secret Base and have 2 damage counters put on them. This could be huge and will give you yet another way to power up your Raven's Claw.

Anyway, good luck with the deck - I'm really looking forward to testing this one too!

Last edited:
Hello @Jadethepokemontrainer

This deck could certainly be one worth looking at, so it's good that you're picking it up. Just a heads up though, your opening post states;

I imagine this is just a typo but Honchkrow's Raven's Claw attack actually does 10 more damage for each damage counter on all of your opponent's Pokémon. With that in mind, I don't see Decidueye putting enough damage on the board for you to take advantage of with Honchkrow - it'd certainly be a long time before you're hitting OHKO numbers.

As for how to play this deck, I can't help but feel that Tapu Koko will be the best partner - perhaps with a whacky mix of Wide Lens and Captivating Poké Puff. Tapu Koko is the ideal starter as it has an amazing spread-damage attack (Flying Flip), Energy synergy with Honchkrow (as they both require DCE), and its free retreat makes it the perfect pivot. With this in mind, you may also like to consider Mew from Fates Collide. I'm anticipating a lot of Garbodor in the new format and Mew could be a good way to take advantage of the trend - with DCE and Wide Lens you could be hitting their whole board for weakness by copying Tapu Koko's Flying Flip.

Other ideas to consider are the Eeveelutions from Ancient Origins and maybe even Espeon-GX - a timely Divide GX could take multiple knockouts and/or power up your Raven's Claw. However, with multiple Stage 1 Pokémon, it might be too inconsistent to be successful.

Here's my suggested starting list:

Pokémon (16)

4 Tapu Koko
3 Murkrow
3 Honchkrow
2 Tapu Lele-GX
2 Shaymin-EX
1 Tauros-GX
1 Mew

Trainers (40)

4 Professor Sycamore
2 N
2 Lysandre
2 Hex Maniac
1 Ninja Boy
1 Lillie

4 VS Seeker
4 Ultra Ball
4 Trainers' Mail
3 Captivating Poké Puff
3 Choice Band
2 Escape Rope
2 Special Charge
1 Wide Lens
1 Field Blower

4 Team Magma's Secret Base

Energy (4)

4 Double Colourless Energy

One of the main combos in this list depends on the final ruling for Team Magma's Secret Base Vs Captivating Poké Puff.

The information available says that Pokémon benched by the effect of Captivating Poké Puff, whilst Team Magma's Secret Base is in play, do trigger the effect of Team Magma's Secret Base and have 2 damage counters put on them. This could be huge and will give you yet another way to power up your Raven's Claw.

Anyway, good luck with the deck - I'm really looking forward to testing this one too!

I really like the Tapu Koko suggestion, you'll just have to wait until May 19 for it to come out I believe. I like the eevee suggestion over the current GX's too, that way only Espeon GX gives up 2 prizes. Further, my reasoning here is everyone is expecting Shaymin, Lele, and Tauros, by building it with Eeveelutions it maintains its dark horse status. Also it reduces the cost of the deck by out $1500, amirite XD. Unless it's overturned the ruling should count to be that Poke Puff does trigger Magma's Base.

My suggestions to WastedSkyPirate's deck:
-2 Shaymin EX
-2 Tapu Lele GX
-1 Tauros EX
-1 Lysandre
-1 Ninja Boy
-1 Hex Maniac
-1 Ultra Ball
-1 Trainers Mail
-1 Sycamore
-1 Magma Base
-1 Poke Puff

+3 Eevee
+1 Jolteon
+1 Flareon
+1 Vaporeon
+2 Espeon GX
+2 Evosoda
+3 Psychic

I will admit, it does take a lot out to add this line and it WILL be clunky if you do not balance it right in play testing. I doubt it'll work the first few games because it does require a few different components, but if you tweak it to your play style and take some of my considerations I think it'll be a fun, and possibly competitive deck! At the very least Tapu Koko is a FAR better partner than Decideuye, imho.

It may come to be that the Jolteon is not needed if flying types, like M Ray, fall out of popularity. In fact, the Jolteon may not even be needed in that match up; if you can get a wide lens on Tapu Koko to start, enough damage will come down because of Sky Field that Honchkrow will be set up for the entire game. I does however have 0 retreat so it's the perfect promotion after a KO, but so does Tapu Koko. It also may be that the evosoda are not needed and came be taken back out for the removed Ultra Ball and trainer of choice. Finally consider Teammates for this deck because DCE and low HP pokemon reasons. Also consider Bridgette because it would be the perfect start to the game. In my version of the deck the Mew could probably come out, and just hope that Espeon can keep Garbodor confused.

Last edited:
@acerizzo13

Nice suggestions! Can't wait to play both version (mine and the Eevees) when these cards get released. Pity we will have to wait for a while to get Tapu Koko.

Time will tell as to whether this deck will be any good. It'll either be some Godsend secret deck or will tank hard. I have a vision of opening Tapu Koko, playing down Team Magma's Secret Base, Poke Puffing their hand and then Flying Flip for 120 off DCE. However, I think I've got a bit of tunnel vision...

Back