• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Ho-oh Variant

Wishwreath

Go Rogue or Go Home
I made this deck after I got a little tired of running Kyurem/Dusknoir that used a Ho-oh engine. Since I still like how Ho-oh provides decent energy acceleration, I decided to throw together a deck that focuses on setting up Ho-oh in the discard pile to help fuel a mix of attackers, including attackers that hate on the EX heavy format (unfortunately this deck is no exception to being EX heavy).

So far the list has run very smoothly, and I will try to explain some of my choices.

3x Ho-oh EX
2x Mewtwo EX
1x Giratina EX
1x Shaymin EX
1x Registeel EX
1x Landorus EX
1x Sigilyph DRX
2x Bouffalant DRX
1x Terrakion NV

4x Professor Juniper
4x N
3x Cheren

4x Ultra Ball
1x Computer Search
3x Pokemon Catcher
3x Switch
3x Energy Switch
1x Tool Scrapper
1x Energy Search

3x Double Colorless Energy
3x Prism Energy
6x Psychic Energy
1x Metal Energy
3x Fighting Energy
4x Grass Energy

Some of the card choices may seem odd, but in the end I believe they make the deck more consistant.

First odd choice may be the 1x Tool Scrapper. It is conventional to run 2, but I prefer the 1 because it frees up 1 spot in the deck space and Giratina can hit through the most common item card, Eviolite.

The next questionable choice is 3x Pokemon Catcher. Because of how vulnerable this deck can be to Pokemon Catcher due to the high retreat cost of some of the pokemon, lowering the Pokemon Catcher count by 1 allows me to run an extra Switch, which is a crucial trainer card in my deck so that I don't get stalled too much. What it comes down to is that I'm more concerned in controlling what's in my active spot than in my opponent's.

1x Energy Search has a variety of uses. It can be used on a 1st turn to get a fighting energy for Landorus EX, it can be used to get a Grass Energy for a late game Shaymin EX, it can search for the 1x Metal Energy to fuel Registeel EX, and it can be used to search for an energy card to throw into the discard to give Ho-oh 3 basics to set up Rebirth. Even if it's only at 1x, I feel that Energy Search is a solid addition.

The only other debatable choices are the Pokemon, most notably Giratina EX. While it's not the best EX, it's not by any means bad. Hitting for 90 for 3 energy regardless of whether or not there's an Eviolite on the opponent's active Pokemon is pretty solid, and it can be set up pretty quickly with Ho-oh, manual attachment, and Energy Switch. Registeel is another awkward choice, but in a way it allows me to work around the fact that I only run 3x Pokemon Catcher. Being able to snipe 3 Pokemon is pretty good, and it can let me pick off something small on their bench that I can't Catcher out.

So far I've had a lot of fun playing the deck and it's been running great. All ideas will be taken into consideration and I'd appreciate any advice!

You have a lot of different techs included in your list. I would take out the Bouffalants. Mewtwo is arguably the best main attacker in Ho-Oh varriants. I would also take out either the Giratina or the Shaymin for a consistency of attackers.

-2 Bouffalant
-1 Giratina/Shaymin
+1 Mewtwo
+1 Terrakion

My list includes 3 Random Receiver so that I can get a Juniper when I need to discard Ho-Oh. Plus, eleven Supporters is really not enough to be competitive.

+3 Random Reciever

Also, your energy line is a bit crazy (even for Ho-Oh). Prism energies aren't good because they get in the way of Rebirth. Maybe just one since you have a wide variety of techs, but it's pretty easy to keep the right kind of energy on the field, especially with 4 Energy Switch. When you Rebirth, think about which energies types you should get out. You should also include every type of energy so you can actually hit harder with Ho-Oh. It's not really an attacker, but the attack is not that bad, especially since you really don't have to manually charge it up.

-4 {P}
-3 Prism
-2 {G}

+1 DCE
+1 {R}
+1 {W}
+1 {L}
+1 {D}
+1 {M}
+1 Energy Switch

Mora is the Ho-oh king. Listen and understand.
Although I would suggest to drop the sigilyph instead of the boufflant.

Back