Ho-oh EX Varients-Just Posting this so I can work on it.

iisnumber12

Team UN (White)
Ho-Oh EX

119-ho-oh-ex.jpg

Table of Contents:
  1. Intro
  2. Deck Lists
  3. Card Explanations

Intro:
Hey guys. Today I'm going to be discussing the different versions of Ho-Oh EX decks. Ho-Oh EX is a very overlooked card and has a lot of unseen potential. The varients I'll be discussing are: Straight Ho-Oh EX, Ho-Oh EX/Tornadus EX, Ho-Oh EX/Mewtwo EX, and Ho-Oh EX/Terrakion. These are all pretty good decks. I prefer Ho-Oh Tornadus, but I think that's just because I've tested it the most. The way Ho-Oh EX decks work is they use Rebirth to keep recovering Ho-Ohs and win with consistancy. They also work to outspeed their opponents and get an early lead.

Deck Lists, Card Explanations, and Matchups
Now, let's see what some of these decklists would look like.

Straight Ho-Oh EX
4 Ho-Oh EX
1 Terrakion
Total Pokémon: 5

4 Professor Juniper
4 N
4 Ultra Ball
4 Pokémon Catcher
4 Super Scoop Up
4 PlusPower
4 Random Reciever
3 Eviolite
3 Recycle
3 Energy Search
3 Potion
2 Tool Scrapper
1 PokeBall
1 Max Potion
1 Energy Switch
Total Trainer/Supporter/Stadium: 45

1 Grass
1 Fire
1 Water
1 Lightning
1 Psychic
3 Fighting
1 Dark
1 Metal
Total Energy: 10

General Strategy: With this version of Ho-Oh EX you try to get a Rainbow Burn as quickly as possible. You just outspeed your opponent and use your recovery to wreck in the prize trade.

Ho-Oh EX (4)-This card is the main attacker of the deck. It has great recovery and can do a significant amount of damage, possibly starting on the first turn.

Terrakion (1)- This is simply a card that is great for hitting for weakness and countering Sigilyph.

Professor Juniper (4)- This is the main draw supporter of the deck. It allows you to get Ho-Ohs and Energies in the discard pile as quick as possible. It also allows you to draw through your deck quickly.

N (4)- This is the other draw supporter in the deck. Though you want to have Juniper most of the time, this is also helpful. It can be really useful later in the game because you can continue to get back Ho-Ohs, when your opponents set up is destroyed.

Ultra Ball (4)- This is about the best trainer in this deck. It allows you to search out Ho-Ohs and discard energies and other Ho-Ohs. It just makes the deck so much faster and reliable.

Pokémon Catcher (4)- This card is what gives you a late game. It allows you to take easy prizes when you only have a few Energies on Ho-Oh. It's pretty much a staple in any deck in the Black and White-on format.

Super Scoop Up (4)- This card is great to pick up Ho-Ohs that you don't want in play, usually the ones without energies. It is also great to pick up a damaged Ho-Oh. Then you can Juniper it away.

PlusPower (4)- Pluspower makes Ho-Oh a lot better. It allows you to do an odd number of damage with Ho-oh. This is good because it can save energy attachments.

Random Reciever (4)- Though Random Reciever isn't the best card in Black and White-on, it is excellent in this deck because it gives you a much larger chance of getting the Turn 1 Juniper Making Turn 1 Ho-oh possible.

Eviolite (3)- Eviolite is very helpful because it makes up for Ho-ohs low HP. It makes Mewtwo EX need another Energy and is all around a great card.

Recycle (3)- Recycle is almost a Junk Arm in this deck. You can use it to get back any card which makes this deck run so much smoother. It can also be used to get back catchers later in the game which can be crucial.

Energy Search (3)- I choose to use this card in the deck because it counts as an energy, but it discards so it doesn't clog up your deck when you need important cards.

Potion (3)- This card allows Ho-Oh EX to stay around for another turn which makes the prize trade much easier.

Tool Scrapper (2)- This card makes the DarkraiHydreigon Matchup and Garbodor Matchups much easier. Taking tools of your opponent's board gives you a great advantage because you now have an even prize trade with their EXs and you already have a huge lead.

Poke Ball (1)- Poke Ball can be used to get a Ho-Oh in your hand so you can Ultra Ball it away. Though it's flippy, it can set you up quicker because there aren't many good ways to search out Ho-oh.

Max Potion (1)- This is great early game if your Ho-Ohs without energy get damaged by quick attackers.

Energy Switch (1)- Energy Switch is a card that allows you to pull off a Terrakion in one turn and getting unexpected KOs.

Energy Line GRWLPFDM (1-1-1-1-1-3-1-1)- I chose this energy line because you want to be able to get your fightings when you need them, but you don't want to have too many matching energy which lowers Ho-Oh's damage output.

Matchups for this Varient:

vs. Darkrai/Hydreigon (30/70)
You do outspeed them, but you hurt by Sigilyph and Max Potion. The way you should play this matchup is burn resources and get a Ho-Oh out as quick as possible. Also try to get 6 energies on Ho-Oh and a PlusPower so you can OHKO Hydreigon. If you can pull that off, you're in a great spot. Also watch out for Mewtwo EX, Sigilyph, Hydreigon+Darkrai Snipe.

vs. Garchomp Altaria (60/40)
In this matchup you are about equal speed. Early game, you should target Gabites and Gibles before they evolve. If you have the chance to OHKO Garchomp, take it. Later in the game, yhou shoud go after Altarias. Also try to abuse Potion and Eviolite to tilt the trade in your favor. Watch out for Turn 2 Garchomp and DragonBlade+3 Altarias.

vs. Eelektrik Varients (30/70)
This matchup can be very tough because they can set up different attackers so quickly. You can out speed them and KO eels, but watch out for Mewtwo. If they can load enough energies on Mewtwo, it will take a lot of prizes. Stay clear of that and you're fine. Watch out for Mewtwo with a ton of energies, Zekrom EX and PlusPower, and Max Potion.

vs. Empoleon (25/75)
This is a really hard matchup. Try to use Terrakion as much as possible because it even trades but it is easier to set up. Make sure you keep your bench low and Eviolite your Ho-Ohs. Also try to get KOs on Piplups as quick as possible. Watch out for PlusPower and Max Potion.

vs. Terrakion EX/Mewtwo EX/Terrakion (70/30)
Resistance is key in this matchup. Try to get Eviolites on your Ho-Ohs because they usually don't run Tool Scrapper because they have no problems with Garbodor. Mewtwo will be a pain, but hit it as soon as it hits the boar and win the prize trade. Watch out for Energy Switch, Potion, and Mewtwo with 4+ Energies.

vs. Terrakion/Garbodor (60/40)
This is a close game, but you have to get an early game Ho-Oh and KO Trubbishes. Do your best to conserve Tool Scrappers and win the prize trade in the late game. There's not a ton to it. Watch Large Cloaked Garbodors and Mewtwo techs.

Ho-Oh EX/Tornadus EX
4 Tornadus EX
3 Ho-Oh EX
1 Bouffalant
Total Pokémon: 8

4 Professor Juniper
2 Bianca
2 N
4 Random Reciever
4 Pokémon Catcher
4 PlusPower
4 Ultra Ball
3 Super Scoop Up
3 Energy Search
2 Switch
2 Recycle
2 Tool Scrapper
4 Skyarrow Bridge
Total Trainer/Supporter/Stadium: 40

4 Double Colorless Energy
1 Grass
1 Fire
1 Water
1 Lightning
1 Psychic
1 Fighting
1 Dark
1 Metal
Total Energy: 12

I've seen a Ho-Oh/Mewtwo/Terrakion deck function at League. It's actually surprisingly solid and can really help a struggling Eels matchup. I'd add it at the very least as a mention/tech if not a decklist (I wish I could have seen the deck in full rather than a couple matches otherwise I could provide it).

dmaster out.

Back