Ho-oh EX Variants

Here's my list Pre-Plasma Storm I've been playing around with.

POKEMON (12)
2 Ho-Oh EX
3 Mewtwo EX
2 Bouffalant
2 Terrakion
1 Sigilyph
1 Landorus EX
1 Keldeo EX

TRAINERS (34)
4 Professor Juniper
4 N
3 Skyla
1 Computer Search
4 Pokemon Catcher
4 Ultra Ball
4 Energy Switch
3 Switch
3 PlusPower
2 Eviolite
1 Energy Search
1 Tool Scrapper

ENERGY (14)
4 DCE
3 Fighting
2 Psychic
2 Water
1 Grass
1 Metal
1 Lightning

I'm also thinking of V-Create Victini during next format to deal with Klinklang, and I plan on taking Plus Powers out for HTL and the Eviolites for Virbank City Gym. Any other suggestions?

A 4th switch and more supporters is what I see that deck needing. Ho-oh is going to have issues dealing with opposing HTL's, so the extra switch is big. I don't think any deck around right now can function too well with 11 supporters, so I would probably take out the Sigilpyh (HTL obliterates this thing anyway) and something else for some more consistency.

I'm not sure how this would handle BKEX though. It doesn't really have an answer to 200 damage per turn. Thoughts?

BKEX has to have some serious support, so I'd just catcher and KO Blastoise/Support. and at that BKEX can't handle Mewtwo comin at it hard.

BKEX can easily handle a Mewtwo, it'll have barely any energy on it and then come roaring back with 200 damage. It's also very difficult to take down a Blastoise.

Maybe this deck will just have to accept a bad matchup against Keldeo/Blastoise from now on. I'm not really seeing any ways around BKEX besides constant catchering of their benched mons (to force them to have to retreat back to BKEX if they want to use it).

Blah said:
BKEX can easily handle a Mewtwo, it'll have barely any energy on it and then come roaring back with 200 damage. It's also very difficult to take down a Blastoise.

Maybe this deck will just have to accept a bad matchup against Keldeo/Blastoise from now on. I'm not really seeing any ways around BKEX besides constant catchering of their benched mons (to force them to have to retreat back to BKEX if they want to use it).

Early Tornadus EX with HTL, that's it. Starting Tornadus EX, hitting VIrbank, a DCE, and HTL may be hard, but it's possible, that's the only possible way I see to counter BKEX

Outspeeding could work, I suppose. I guess it's similar to Ho-oh's plight against Rayeels also, which it has a terrible matchup against.

You can if you use Shed Rayquaza (which I'm considering dropping actually (not the right format for it)). It's an option, though. It can be a little difficult to set up, particularly on a turn's notice.

I tried baby Ray, and it needs to sit benched for a turn to consistently be set up. And by then it is either dead or I only get 1 hit in with it. It just isn't worth it. The only way to beat BKEX is to kill Blastoise or hope they hit an Energy drought.

I agree, it doesn't consistently stay on the board, but the latter (killing Blastoise) seems even less likely, and I already run Rayquaza for RayEels and Darkrai/Hydreigon.

MrGatr said:
I don't see how that match is going to be a terrible match. First off I don't see it being any good, as most pokemon can OHKO or 2HKO klinklang easily, and Tornadus EX Bouffalant, Terrakion, Hell even Ho-Oh does massive damage. Just get Ho-Oh attacking as fast as possible and set up Terrakion or Tornado or Bouff while your at it. The troubles I see if Garbodor variants becoming much stronger, is anyone else running 3 tool scrapper?

Theres no way to OHKO Kinklang without Victini. They will most likely get plasma Kinklang out by turn 2. So now your only effective attackers are Boufflant Sig and Terrakion.

Assuming u even have a ho-oh in discard with proper energy by t2/3 you still need a combination of energy switch/catcher. From my 7 games against this deck i've won 1. And im just wasting catchers trying to kill kinklang only for them to get another one out later on.

Im all open for ideas but it seems like you don't have experience against this deck yet.

Klinklang has a terrabad match up. Out of my recent 10 games against it I've won 7. The trick is to Catcher the Klinks, early game, and play Scramble Switch to power up Mewtwo to Xball them to death easily. Not to mention the deck loses the prize trade with Bouffalant, and Terrakion.

Getting Ho-Oh and enough energy in the discard to me is T1. I don't know about you guys but I play my Ho-Oh more hyper offensive (VG term meaning focus on KOing and forget about keeping defenses up) and it's been working.

Cobalion destroys Bouffalant if it has enough energy. The attack goes straight through Bouffalant's ability and OHKO's it.

That said, if Ho-oh techs properly, it should be able to beat Klinklang.

Define "techs properly". I'm just curious what do you think is best to improve the match up.

Also, we need to play on playtcg when you have the time. (Not right now, though; prerelease.)

Blah, Bouffalant hits for 120, gets KO'd. You promote Terrakion or another Bouffalant hit for 90-120 and KO cobalion, making the prize exchange uneven.

Point taken, but it's not that easy to keep the attackers flowing and if you don't charge up a Bouffalant in one turn, it'll get Catchered. If you can keep getting them back to back, then yes, Cobalion will have a difficult time handling it. Again, teching properly is everything if you want to beat Klinklang.

MrGatr said:
Blah, Bouffalant hits for 120, gets KO'd. You promote Terrakion or another Bouffalant hit for 90-120 and KO cobalion, making the prize exchange uneven.
Assuming you get the first hit on the Cobalion and assuming you hit the 3 energy for Bouffalant and 2 energy for Terrakion. Also assuming Cobalion doesn't have Eviolite.

This is easy, and I'm not assuming. First off, running more than 1-2 Tool Scrapper for that situation, so I have no issue with eviolite. Next, hitting cobalion first is as easy as not starting Bouff, which isn't hard either. Third, 3 energy for Bouff is a piece of cake, 2 Energy for Terra is a piece of cheese it's sooooo easy.

MrGatr said:
This is easy, and I'm not assuming. First off, running more than 1-2 Tool Scrapper for that situation, so I have no issue with eviolite. Next, hitting cobalion first is as easy as not starting Bouff, which isn't hard either. Third, 3 energy for Bouff is a piece of cake, 2 Energy for Terra is a piece of cheese it's sooooo easy.
How exactly is hitting 5 energy sooooooo easy? How can you be sure you'll hit the tool scrappers? How can you be sure you'll hit the rebirth flips? How can you be sure your opponent doesn't drop potion or max potion? How can you be sure your opponent won't drop scramble switch? How can you be sure you won't start Bouffalant? How can you be sure none of your DCE won't be prized? How can you be sure Cobalion doesn't discard the DCE with righteous edge? What will you do when you run out of Bouffalants? No, it's not easy.

Back