Hisuian Growlithe, Hisuian Arcanine from ‘Time Gazer’!

JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
Hisuian Growlithe and Hisuian Arcanine have been revealed from the twin sets Time Gazer and Space Juggler, which will release in Japan on April 8th. We expect many of these cards to join those from Battle Region in our May set, Astral Radiance!
Hisuian Growlithe – Fighting – HP80
Basic Pokemon
[.] Defensive Stance: Flip a coin. If heads, prevent all damage from attacks done to this Pokemon during your opponent’s next turn.
[F][C] Bite: 30 damage.
Weakness: Grass (x2)
Resistance: None
Retreat: 2...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Nice. That Hisuian Growlithe reminds me of that Sand Attack Silicobra card( from SWSH01), with the same effect as Defensive Stance, except 1) Defensive Stance is free 2) Growlithe has another attack. I'll put an image of the card I mean at the end.
That Arcanine is pretty powerful for a Stage 1 card. Interesting attack, that last one. But it's a lot easier to use a Basic.
Also, the Hisuian Growlithe art is cute. Am I the only one that thinks the Arcanine one is a bit off ?

1647349152361.png

I love Hisuian Growlithe's design, but boy is Arcanine's design a let down. It's like..."hey, look at his fur, it's pointy, and...gray....like a... *rock* :0 ". It's like a desperate attempt to justify the rock type when nothing else did. They should've just gone with something like this, if the horn was enough to justify the rock type in Growlithe, this Arcanine design should've had enough to justify it too...

1647358062480.png

Now, if they really wanted for Arcanine to properly showcase the rock type in its design, these are a few that succeed in that regard:

1647358332103.png

1647358343822.png

Now these would've been good designs...

Last edited:
Kagemaru Himeno really has a terrible style.

And yeah the fan art Arcanines are way better. They should honestly reveal evolutions immediately so that fan art doesn't circulate as much because there are always some that are leagues better.

Same problem with crap like Hisuian Electrode and Galarian Rapidash.

Then again, was Alolan Persian revealed at the same time? Horrific design.

And yeah the fan art Arcanines are way better. They should honestly reveal evolutions immediately so that fan art doesn't circulate as much because there are always some that are leagues better.

I concur about Alolan Persian.

I love Hisuian Growlithe's design, but boy is Arcanine's design a let down. It's like..."hey, look at his fur, it's pointy, and...gray....like a... *rock* :0 ". It's like a desperate attempt to justify the rock type when nothing else did. They should've just gone with something like this, if the horn was enough to justify the rock type in Growlithe, this Arcanine design should've had enough to justify it too...

View attachment 16486

Now, if they really wanted for Arcanine to properly showcase the rock type in its design, these are a few that suceed in that regard:

View attachment 16487

View attachment 16488

Kinda agree with you,the original design looks too similiar to the Kanto variant while they changed the design for Growlithe

Himeno is one of the TCG's gems. The problem isn't with her artstyle (look at that lava!), it's the Pokémon design.

If you think about it, Arcanine and Hisuian Arcanine are fundamentally the exact same design idea, just separated by 25+ years of monster design trends, and a loss of confidence in the audience to pick up the intended reference/inspiration. That is – Arcanine and Hisuian Arcanine are both inspired by komainu statues, but Hisuian Arcanine is borne of the assumption its audience either won't recognize this, or won't be motivated to look this up, so the 'statue' part needs to be made more explicit by making it a dual Rock and Fire type and making it stone-colored.

The artist can only do so much with what you give them. Kagemaru Himeno's been around since the early days of the TCG and has always put out tons of fantastic works, but she can't squeeze water from a rock.

Nice. That Hisuian Growlithe reminds me of that Sand Attack Silicobra card( from SWSH01), with the same effect as Defensive Stance, except 1) Defensive Stance is free 2) Growlithe has another attack. I'll put an image of the card I mean at the end.
That Arcanine is pretty powerful for a Stage 1 card. Interesting attack, that last one. But it's a lot easier to use a Basic.
Also, the Hisuian Growlithe art is cute. Am I the only one that thinks the Arcanine one is a bit off ?

View attachment 16485
Hisuian Growlithe is always super cute.

View attachment 16485
Heatran from Brilliant Stars has same attack (without the burn) and it's a basic.

Himeno's backgrounds are always stellar. I love the little firework-eruptions.
Also have you seen this:
1647368809121.png

Himeno is one of the TCG's gems. The problem isn't with her artstyle (look at that lava!), it's the Pokémon design.

If you think about it, Arcanine and Hisuian Arcanine are fundamentally the exact same design idea, just separated by 25+ years of monster design trends, and a loss of confidence in the audience to pick up the intended reference/inspiration. That is – Arcanine and Hisuian Arcanine are both inspired by komainu statues, but Hisuian Arcanine is borne of the assumption its audience either won't recognize this, or won't be motivated to look this up, so the 'statue' part needs to be made more explicit by making it a dual Rock and Fire type and making it stone-colored.

The artist can only do so much with what you give them. Kagemaru Himeno's been around since the early days of the TCG and has always put out tons of fantastic works, but she can't squeeze water from a rock.
And correct me if I am wrong but doesn't artists usually make multiple variations but the administrators finalize which one to choose?

View attachment 16486

Now, if they really wanted for Arcanine to properly showcase the rock type in its design, these are a few that succeed in that regard:

View attachment 16487

View attachment 16488

Those look like over-designed digimon. Seethe, cope and mald.

That Arcanine is hideous; doesn't help the pokemon itself is ugly. Hard to complain though because Himeno has created a lot of art (with much of it being fantastic). We can't expect everything made by someone to be 10/10

actually insane card for gym leader challenge format. can set it up in 1 turn with coalossal and does 180 for 3? insane. not great in standard though that's for sure!

actually insane card for gym leader challenge format. can set it up in 1 turn with coalossal and does 180 for 3? insane. not great in standard though that's for sure!
You saying this made me INSANELY pissed knowing it easily would've been an A+ tier theme deck.

Back