• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Hibernating King (Beartic/Kingdra/Vileplume)

ogeray

Aspiring Trainer
So this is the deck i want to play for the upcoming tournaments.

I really liked beartic, however his damage output was too weak, and the opponent can always use SSU or Switch to change their pokemon.
So i thought of adding Kingdra and Vileplume to keep continuous lock.

Pokeon: 24
3-3 Beartic
3-2-3 Kingdra Prime
3-1-2 Vileplume
1 Cleffa
1 Smeargle
2 Kyurem

TSS: 25
4 Poke Comm
4 Rare Candy
3 Collectors
4 Twins
4 Prof Oaks
2 Sages Training
1 Seeker
1 Flowershop Lady

Energy: 12
4 DCE
8 Water

strategy/ how it plays out.

usually start with cleffa or smeargle if possible. then use a collector to set up 2 oddish and horsea on bench.
use smeargle or cleffa to hand refresh or set up further.

turn 2 hopefully end up with a rare candy into vileplume and get a cubchoo onto bench with {W} energy or {C}{C}. use twins if possible to get beartic and kingdra set up

by turn 3, i should be attacking with sheer cold while the opponent is under trainer lock and dropping extra damage with a kingdra's spray splash.

by turn 4, the opponent will not be able to switch or attack, and i will be building up a kyurem to sweep the field in case the opponent retreats.

by using spray splash with sheer cold in a trainer lock play, i hopefully aim to KO with a spray splash and continue locking by attacking the new defending pokemon with sheer cold.
Im planning to go to a tournament this year and i want this deck to do well.
Please help with any comments and suggestions.
Thanks!

replace manaphy and smergal with cleffa and pichu. Your oddish are going to be prime targets so you want multiple on the bench at once. cleffa, although half the HP, can stall and also gives you one extra card and does not cost energy to use it's shuffle. This deck is viable but you only have one attacker who takes multiple energy to power. maybe think of running a reuniclus who pairs well with trainer lock. or shaymin to swap your energy between beartic when one is about to get KOed. Also think of using Kyurem. damaging the bench will help you get an easy KO on babies and basics stuck in that form due to rare candy lock. In fact I think this deck would benifit if you swaped Kingdra, smergal, and manaphy for Reuniclus, Kyurem, Cleffa and/or Pichu.

Also, you do not need Junk Arm. It will just be a dead card when you have trainer lock up. You generally want Vileplume up first before any other stage 2 tech, so junk arm will not be used that often.

This deck has potential, but i'm not sure how it runs as stated above. have you tested it at all? If you have, how does it work? What problems do you run into with this deck? I'm not familiar with this combination so understanding how it runs will help me help you.

Good Luck

I agree with some of what Meta was suggesting. Take out your Manaphy and Smeargle for 2 pichu and 1 cleffa. The Pichu helps you get set up a lot faster. Sure it helps your opponent but if your plan works, you will win. I then suggest you take out the one Blackbelt for a third oddish. You typically want to get 2 out turn one in case one gets catcher'd up. Take out the Junk Arm for a fourth candy and a second sages. Those two cards will help you get the possible Turn 2 candy Vileplume. Then I would take out the Seeker for a third Seadra. While under trainer lock, it will be hard to get Kingdra out. I also suggest taking out the Cheren for two Professor Elm's to help get evolutions out under trainer lock. So I'll sum it up for you.

Take out
-2 Manaphy
-1 Smeargle
-1 Blackbelt
-2 Junk Arm
-1 Seeker
-2 Cheren

To Add
+2 Pichu
+1 Cleffa
+1 Oddish
+1 Rare Candy
+1 Sage's Training
+1 Seadra
+2 Professor Elm's Training Method

thank you both for the help.
i agree in full with the changes.
however, now that NV is out, i am going to add in kyurem.

so the deck list more or less looks like this with changes made:

Pokeon: 24
3-3 Beartic
3-3-3 Kingdra Prime
3-0-2 Vileplume
1 Cleffa
1 Smeargle
2 Kyurem

TSS: 26
4 Poke Comm
4 Rare Candy
3 Collectors
4 Twins
4 Prof Oaks
2 Sages Training
1 Seeker
1 Blackbelt
1 Flowershop Lady

Energy: 12
4 DCE
8 Water

strategy/ how it plays out.

usually start with cleffa or smeargle if possible. then use a collector to set up 2 oddish and horsea on bench.
use smeargle or cleffa to hand refresh or set up further.

turn 2 hopefully end up with a rare candy into vileplume and get a cubchoo onto bench with {W} energy or {C}{C}. use twins if possible to get beartic and kingdra set up

by turn 3, i should be attacking with sheer cold while the opponent is under trainer lock and dropping extra damage with a kingdra's spray splash.

by turn 4, the opponent will not be able to switch or attack, and i will be building up a kyurem to sweep the field in case the opponent retreats.

by using spray splash with sheer cold in a trainer lock play, i hopefully aim to KO with a spray splash and continue locking by attacking the new defending pokemon with sheer cold.

I wouldn't take out your only gloom.. I still say you should take out the Blackbelt and put the gloom back in. Just incase you can't get your rare candy

Don't forget to put the updated decklist in the first post.

dmaster out.

ok. updated with changes.

works out pretty smoothly, however i cant beat gothitelle deck.

The only thing you can do against Gothitelle is set up Vileplume Asap and then just keep and keep and keep hitting for 50 and not letting them attack. Eventually they'll run out of resources and you'll win :) One thing you may want to add back in, only if gothitelle is big in your area, is the Blackbelt. I know I said to take it out, but with the belt you can hit for 120 and Spray splash for the KO. But I only see that viable in the Goth match up. The deck looks solid otherwise. Good Luck

yea, i had in blackbelt for the sole purpose of gothitelle as it is quite popular here in NJ.

I would replace Beartic with Cobalion. Cobalion takes up less space, is easier to set up, and has a bigger damage output. You can also run 1 Steam Pump Kingdra to deal with Reshiram, as it would steam roll through Cobalion.

but thats a whole entire new deck.
also cobalion is weak to fire, which is huge in the current meta.

cobalion also cant use DCE. so its slower to set up as it needs two metal energies and 1 colorless

Its not that much of a different deck. It still focuses on keeping the opponent from not attacking while under trainer lock (im not saying to completely switch to CaKE). Also, running even only 1 Steam Pump Kingdra could wreck Reshiram. IMO, Cobalion is faster (and it takes less space) because by the time you have found both Beartic and Cubchoo while under trainer lock it is most likely already been 3 turns. Cobalion also does more damage. No matter which one you choose to do, I would put in 2-3 Tropical Beach to help set up.

cant afford 2-3 tropical beaches.
my deck is built so that it doesnt rely on tropical beach. If my opponent has one in play, then maybe ill use it,(most gothitelle decks do)

as for reshiram, i already have a beartic that can wreak it, so i dont need to set up a steam pump kingdra.

also, cobalion also takes 3 turns/energies to set up, which is just as much time as beartic, so i really dont see a need to switch my deck over to metal.

Because of the reasons I just stated. I said if you run Cobalion you can run Steam Pump Kingdra for Reshiram, as Cobalion is weak to fire. I meant that Cobalion is faster once you have one already set up, as you can manually attach to another without also having to find the evolution.

i think im going to stick with beartic as it takes only two energy cards and i can use the rest to power up kyurem for an end game sweep.

beartic is a stage 1 and i dont find any trouble getting it out under trainer lock, especially with all the collectors and twins i run.

plus i like the beartic, which is the reason i am building a deck around him and trying to make it work.

cobalion is a similar strategy deck, but will require a completely different build

why reuniclus?
if the opponent cant attack me, then why would i need to move around dmg?

Back