• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

HGSS-on Galvantula deck

lotusoftheleaf

Just a-wanderin'...
I don't play in any tournaments, but I'd like to build a Galvantula deck for casual play with friends and online. I may one day use it in a tournament, though there aren't really any around where I live. It's HGSS-on because I'm fairly new and so those are really the only cards I have anyway. The Trainers probably need some work since I'm not really sure what's all staple.

Pokemon: 20
3-3 Galvantula
3-2-3 Magnezone Prime
2-2 Lanturn Prime
3 Smeargle

Trainers: 25
4 Pokemon Collector
2 Plus Power
3 Professor Oak's New Theory
3 Defender
2 Professor Elm's Training Method
4 Rare Candy
2 Flower Shop Lady
2 Twins

Energy: 12
13 {L}
4 {C}{C}

Start with Joltik. Bench Pachi and Shaymin to get 2 {L} Energy on Galvantula. Use Plus Powers and/or Black Belt and start damaging and healing. Magnezone Prime for draw power and Lanturn Prime to counter Galvantula's weaknesses.

I dont agree with the choice of Shaymin and Pachi. Heres why:

A DCE can easily speed up the energy attachment
Galvantula has only 80 HP. This makes is an easy target. So you want to max your lines out to make sure you can abuse how fun it is to play. (I'm running the same deck just with a slightly different list.)

Here are my changes

-3 Pachirisu COL
-2 Shaymin UL

+1 DCE
+4 {L}

The reason I've added these Energy in is because if your stuck in a hole with Galvantula, and hes getting low on HP, you can use Magnezone to start LZing your energy and dealing out huge amounts of damage. He can be your back up in this case.

-4 Black Belt
-2 + Power
-1 PONT (Professor Oaks New Theory)
+2 Rare Candy
+ 1-1-1 Magnezone Prime
+2 Twins

You wanna max these (Rare Candy) out. Especialy in a HGSS on format. Those Magnezones will be tricky to get out with out Spiritomb from Arceus. Black belt really doesnt fit, but I see where your going with it. Twins fits in here much better. You can search for any two cards in your deck, and it works off the same effect as Black belt.

The reason for the extra line of Magnezone Prime is so that in dire need, you can throw out two or three of them, and still have some draw power on your bench. Plus his attack Lost Burn is the whole reason Magnezone Prime is a two way card. He can help with draw power, and he can attack for massive amounts of damage. 3 Energy cards = 150 Damage. Thats enough to knock out most stuff, if not all in this format.

Hope I helped!

Thanks for the suggestions, but if I don't have Pachi and Shaymin anymore should I still keep in the SSU since I only had them in to use the Poke-Powers multiple times?

In that case, no. I would do this then:

-3 SSU
+3 Smeargle UD/COL

Hes a great starter, he can take any supporter out of your opponents hand and use it to your advantage, thus allowing you to use two supporters on one turn (Portait doesn't count as a Supporter on your turn, its merely using the power).

In an GS on format he will be the most wanted starter.

I don't believe Smeargle is a starter, or that most decks in this format WANT a starter. He's a crutch when your setup with your trainer engine goes wrong and you need to try to hit another supporter. Searching your opponent's hand doubles your chances of getting that collector or just a new hand. My current deck only runs 1, with more than enough ways to dig him out if needed. I was running 2, but it just seemed to always turn up as a dead card.

Back