• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Help with M Rayquaza EX / Bronzong for My 8 Year Old

michael koenig

Aspiring Trainer
Hi. New here and first post. Need some help with my son's deck. He is 8 1/2. The biggest problem I see with the below deck is movement/high retreat cost. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

This is for standard decks

Pokemon (21)
  • 3 Rayquaza EX [C]
  • 3 M Rayquaza EX [C]
  • 3 Bronzor
  • 3 Bronzong
  • 3 Shaymin EX
  • 1 Hoopa EX
  • 2 Aegieslash EX
  • 1 Heatran
  • 1 Swablu
  • 1 Altaria
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums (30)
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 3 Professor Birch's Observations
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 2 Winonna
  • 3 Rayquaza Spirit Link
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 1 Battle Compressor
  • 2 Float Stone
  • 1 Sacred Ash
  • 1 Switch
  • 4 Sky Field
Energy (9)
  • 5 Metal Energy
  • 4 DCE
Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Pokemon
  • 3 Rayquaza EX [C]
  • 3 M Rayquaza EX [C]
  • 3 Bronzor
  • 2 Bronzong
  • 3 Shaymin EX
  • 2 Hoopa EX
  • 2 Aegieslash EX
  • 1 Heatran
  • 1 Swablu
  • 1 Altaria
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums
  • 3 Professor Sycamore
  • 1 Professor Birch's Observations
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 1 Winonna
  • 3 Rayquaza Spirit Link
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 1 Battle Compressor
  • 3 Trainers' Mail
  • 2 Float Stone
  • 1 Sacred Ash
  • 2 Switch
  • 4 Sky Field
Energy
  • 5 Metal Energy
  • 4 DCE
I have edited the list as to what i would do with this deck.

I feel that Ultra Ball is the most important card in most decks right now. Being able to discard supporters or energy with this deck is amazing. Because VS Seeker is so amazing, you dont need to draw into supporters like we used to. The other thing that i might consider is adding another battle compressor, possibly in place of the Heatran. Being able to thin out the deck and get into better draws is so crucial in a speed deck like this.

Thank you for your input. The only thing that scares me about your changes is having so little supporters and being item heavy is if my son runs into any item lock like the Toad or vileplume. I also would like to get a second battle compressor in there as well. I want that third bronzong in case one is in the prize cards.

Thank you for your input. The only thing that scares me about your changes is having so little supporters and being item heavy is if my son runs into any item lock like the Toad or vileplume. I also would like to get a second battle compressor in there as well. I want that third bronzong in case one is in the prize cards.

I will use thelosh19's changes as a guideline and see if I can help even more!

Pokemon
  • 3 Rayquaza EX [C]
  • 3 M Rayquaza EX [C]
  • 3 Bronzor
  • 3 Bronzong
  • 3 Shaymin EX
  • 1 Hoopa EX
  • 2 Aegislash EX
  • 1 Swablu
  • 1 Altaria
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums
  • 3 Professor Sycamore
  • 1 Professor Birch's Observations
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 1 Winona
  • 1 Xerosic
  • 3 Rayquaza Spirit Link
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 1 Battle Compressor
  • 3 Trainers' Mail
  • 2 Float Stone
  • 1 Sacred Ash
  • 1 Switch
  • 4 Sky Field
Energy
  • 5 Metal Energy
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy

I took out Heatran (He's okay, but unless you want to drop a Shaymin or the Altaria line-up, there is very little room for him), a Hoopa EX (you'll be perfectly fine with 1 and 4 Ultra Ball since Ultra Ball + Shaymin EX means you do not really minus, anyway) and a Switch (since you still have 1 and you have 2 Float Stone) for another Lysandre (Best Supporter), a Xerosic (this is not only a great card for slowing down some of the more powerful decks, like Bees and Night March, that may give your son issues, but is also a great way to teach him just how important Energy/Tool Disruption is to this game) and the 3rd Bronzong back in. I really wanted to add the 2nd Battle Compressor in for you, but once again, the deck is running low on room. Still, overall, it should be a little less clunky.

I played Metal Quaza a lot last year and this year and last year and found that the low number of supporters was a non issue. You also over value the effect of Toad and vileplume. Vileplume will get set up after you do and toad can not output damage fast enough for you to have concern. Basically you just sit out there with Ray EX using intensifying burn until you get in a position to M evolve a ray on the bench.

I have no doubt that my list is more aggressive than most people would play it, but i feel that aggression with this deck makes it that much better.

Thanks again. You are probably right. I am so use to using a 4/3/2 line of prof syc/N(now Birch)/Lysandre, that having that few supporters kinda freaks me out a little. I adjusted my son's deck last night that is a hybrid of the two above. We will see how it goes this weekend at league.

also, if you have time can you look at my MSceptile/Malamar/Zoroark deck I posted and see what you think.

Thanks again

Back