• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Help me improve my Decidueye deck?

Elixir

Mad Scientist
Hello, I have a deck I've built on TCGO which features Decidueye-GX, Drampa-GX, Ninetales-GX, and Lunala (Guardians Rising 61) - since I am a relatively new player (or should I say, returned after a very long period of inactivity) and don't have all the cards I would like, this deck is far from perfect. My goal is to tweak this deck into good shape for PTCGO, and then eventually purchase the real-world cards for play in standard format.

Here is the deck:
****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 19

* 2 Drampa-GX GRI 115
* 2 Rowlet SUM 9
* 2 Dartrix SUM 10
* 2 Decidueye-GX SUM 12
* 3 Cosmog SUM 64
* 1 Cosmoem SUM 65
* 2 Lunala GRI 61
* 4 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21
* 1 Alolan Ninetales-GX GRI 22

##Trainer Cards - 21

* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 2 Enhanced Hammer GRI 124
* 1 Professor's Letter XY 123
* 1 Wally ROS 94
* 1 Timer Ball SUM 134
* 2 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 2 Switch SUM 132
* 1 Special Charge STS 105
* 1 N FAC 105
* 3 Hau SUM 120
* 1 Wicke BUS 127
* 2 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 3 Professor Kukui SUM 128

##Energy - 20

* 4 Double Colorless Energy NXD 92
* 7 Grass Energy 1
* 9 Psychic Energy 5

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

So I have a couple of questions: not only how would you tweak this deck, but which cards should I pursue first to have the biggest impact?

Some things I'm thinking are replacing Lunala with Espeon-GX and/or Tapu Lele-GX (of course, unless a Tapu Lele or two fall into my hands, that might be a tall order for me at the moment -- but one can always hope) and add a third copy of Rowlet and Decidueye-GX. I would also like to replace the 2 Enhanced Hammer and 1 or 2 other cards (maybe grass energies?) with Max Elixirs.

Thanks for your help!

This is very clunky. The Lunala family exclusively uses Psychic energies, while the Decidueye family can get by with just Grass and Double Colorless. Remove all of the Lunala line and the Psychic energies because I feel they don't have much of a purpose. Make the Rowlet line 4 Rowlet-2/3 Dartrix-4 Decidueye GX to make the most out of Decidueye GX's Feather Arrow ability. You have Alolan Vulpix to search out key components. I'd also add in 1 more Ninetales GX, as well as 1-2 promo Tapu Koko for Flying Flip (inflicts 20 damage to all the opponent's Pokemon; this can add up fast the more you use it, especially when you have Decidueye GX's Feather Arrow) and Espeon EX to devolve evolved Pokemon. Tapu Lele GX is a staple Pokemon because it lets you get any supporter you want out of the deck; 3 copies is preferred, but you can get away with just 2.

Hau is a terrible supporter in comparison to Prof. Sycamore as the latter gives you bigger draws. The discard may hurt, but this is also why you also use Rescue Stretcher and Super Rod to recover lost Pokemon and energies. As this is also a Grass deck, you might want to add in a Revitalizer or two to get back lost pieces of the Decidueye family, whether they were KOed or discarded by card effects. Drop all the Haus and replace them with Sycamores. Ultra Ball is the best Pokemon searcher outside of Alolan Vulpix, as it can get you any Pokemon you want despite the discard cost; get rid of the Nest and Timer Balls. Wicke is also outclassed by N as the latter also serves as disruption to a winning opponent. 4 Ns is ideal. This is an evolution-based deck, so if you added in Tapu Lele GX, add in 1 Brigette so you can set up your bench fast. Stage 2 decks need higher counts of Rare Candy, so 3-4 Rare Candies is best. Between the Flying Flips, Ice Blades, and Feather Arrows, Prof. Kukui isn't that necessary. Choice Band and Float Stone should be your Pokemon Tools, the former for inflicting more damage to EXs/GXs and the latter for giving Decidueye free retreat (2 isn't cheap). 2 Field Blowers are mandatory for standard decks nowadays to remove opposing tools and stadiums. Guzma is also a necessity to drag a problematic Pokemon up front so it can be dealt with while giving you switch advantage as well; another application is to strand a high retreat Pokemon in the active and snipe the bench line instead. Because this deck uses Double Colorless energies, Special Charge is an option to recycle them.

Here's a video on Wicke and why she's not as good as N and I agree with the points:

Here's a staple card list (skeleton only) in my opinion and it's best to follow it for future decks you might want to make:
-2-3 Tapu Lele GX
-4 Prof. Sycamore
-4 N
-2-3 Guzma
-1 Brigette (for evolution decks)
-1-2 Acerola (optional for denying KOs)
-1-2 Skyla (optional to search out key trainers)
-2 Field Blower
-1 Super Rod (choose between that, Rescue Stretcher, or both depending on the deck)
-1 Rescue Stretcher (choose between that, Super Rod, or both depending on the deck)
-4 Ultra Ball

Last edited:
@PlatinumDude Hey, thanks for your comments. I definitely agree that Lunala's reliance on psychic energies make the deck clunkier than I would like, hence it seems my instinct to replace that entire line with Espeon-GX and Tapu Lele-GX would be the right choice. Would love to have maximum Decidueye and Rare Candy as well -- definitely agree that would be an improvement, once I attain the cards.

In response to your feedback I've done away with Wicke and Kukui, instead having 4 N and 1 Guzma (which is all the Guzma I have for now).

I'm a little conflicted on having 4 Sycamore and 4 Ultra Ball; I find that my wins generally come when I am able to maintain hand size advantage over my opponent, usually via an early Big Wheel. Though, I suppose that's really a reason not to fear the Ultra Balls... Sycamore, though, would often decrease my hand size rather than increase it... still, I see your point. +7 cards is more useful than +3.

I already run 1 Rescue Stretcher and 1 Special Charge, so I should be alright there. As for Pokemon tools -- I'm on board with Choice Band -- I take it that your recommendation is to run Float Stone instead of Switch and/or Altar of the Moone here, then? I definitely need some way to offset Decidueye's retreat costs, no argument here -- I suppose I'm not entirely convinced that Float Stone is the most efficient and/or flexible method in this case -- but I'm wondering what the general verdict on that is. Also, if you run Altar of the Moone (or any stadium) does this decrease the need for Field Blowers?

I'll make up an "ideal" version of this decklist in a bit. Again, thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it.

EDIT: Also -- this is more of an off-the-wall question -- but has anyone tried a Burning Shadows Dusknoir/Decidueye deck?

Last edited:
@PlatinumDude Hey, thanks for your comments. I definitely agree that Lunala's reliance on psychic energies make the deck clunkier than I would like, hence it seems my instinct to replace that entire line with Espeon-GX and Tapu Lele-GX would be the right choice. Would love to have maximum Decidueye and Rare Candy as well -- definitely agree that would be an improvement, once I attain the cards.

In response to your feedback I've done away with Wicke and Kukui, instead having 4 N and 1 Guzma (which is all the Guzma I have for now).

I'm a little conflicted on having 4 Sycamore and 4 Ultra Ball; I find that my wins generally come when I am able to maintain hand size advantage over my opponent, usually via an early Big Wheel. Though, I suppose that's really a reason not to fear the Ultra Balls... Sycamore, though, would often decrease my hand size rather than increase it... still, I see your point. +7 cards is more useful than +3.

I already run 1 Rescue Stretcher and 1 Special Charge, so I should be alright there. As for Pokemon tools -- I'm on board with Choice Band -- I take it that your recommendation is to run Float Stone instead of Switch and/or Altar of the Moone here, then? I definitely need some way to offset Decidueye's retreat costs, no argument here -- I suppose I'm not entirely convinced that Float Stone is the most efficient and/or flexible method in this case -- but I'm wondering what the general verdict on that is. Also, if you run Altar of the Moone (or any stadium) does this decrease the need for Field Blowers?

I'll make up an "ideal" version of this decklist in a bit. Again, thanks for your feedback, I appreciate it.

EDIT: Also -- this is more of an off-the-wall question -- but has anyone tried a Burning Shadows Dusknoir/Decidueye deck?

I wasn't talking about Espeon GX. I was talking about Espeon EX, the one from Breakpoint: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Espeon-EX_(BREAKpoint_52). Its Miraculous Shine attack devolves all evolved Pokemon your opponent has. If their previous form has an excess of damage counters from their fully evovled stage, they'll get KOed. This goes hand in hand with the spread damage this deck focuses on.

You only use Sycamore if you have a dead hand. Field Blower doesn't only get rid of stadiums, its also gets rid of tools like Fighting Fury Belt and Choice Band. Altar of the Moone is useless in a deck like this, so Field Blower and Float Stone are technically the superior options. Running your own stadiums has no effect on the number of Field Blowers you should run (min. 2), as like I said before, you also use them to remove tools. Field Blower is also good for removing tools from Breakpoint Garbodor, which negates Feather Arrow with Garbotoxin.

Oh, sorry! I know both Espeon, but I misread that!

After digesting feedback, I changed the deck quite a bit and I've been playing it for a few days now. It's doing quite a bit better, I would say.

So this is what I have now:

##Pokémon - 15

* 2 Drampa-GX GRI 115
* 3 Rowlet SUM 9
* 2 Dartrix SUM 10
* 3 Decidueye-GX SUM 12
* 4 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21
* 1 Alolan Ninetales-GX GRI 22

##Trainer Cards - 30

* 2 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 1 Wally ROS 94
* 2 Timer Ball SUM 134
* 2 Choice Band GRI 121
* 4 N DEX 96
* 2 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 2 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 1 Guzma BUS 115
* 2 Max Elixir BKP 102
* 3 Float Stone BKT 137
* 2 Ultra Ball FAC 113

##Energy - 15

* 11 Grass Energy 1

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

And this is what I'd like to build it into:

##Pokémon - 20

* 2 Drampa-GX GRI 115
* 4 Rowlet SUM 9
* 3 Dartrix SUM 10
* 4 Decidueye-GX SUM 12
* 4 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21
* 2 Alolan Ninetales-GX GRI 22
* 1 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60

##Trainer Cards - 29

* 2 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 1 Wally ROS 94
* 2 Choice Band GRI 121
* 4 N DEX 96
* 2 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 2 Guzma BUS 115
* 2 Max Elixir BKP 102
* 2 Float Stone BKT 137
* 2 Ultra Ball FAC 113
* 2 Brigette BKT 134

##Energy - 11

* 7 Grass Energy 1

Total Cards - 60

But then, this may change as I'm wondering if the new draw engine Zoroark-GX that will be coming out will be useful (or if I'm going to start building an entirely different second deck with Zoroark-GX in it -- mostly because it's a favorite Pokemon).

Thoughts on the Pokes:
*Any deck that plays DCE and is looking to spread dmg all over the place needs to play at least 1 Tapu Koko promo, if not 2. It also has free retreat, so you can use it to Guzma into exactly the attacker you want at any given moment, which also incidentally decreases your need for too many switching cards (Guzma acts like a Lysandre and a Olympia in one in this case).

*While Drampa is a good attacker, do you need him? Where is your bench dmg coming from to utilize him to his fullest potential? If you're dead set on keeping him, maybe play a 4-4-4 energy line, with 4 rainbows to put dmg on your benched pokes and to bring Ninetails' 2nd attack online when you need a big knockout.

*Yeah, unfortunately you need at least 2 Tapu Leles. Hopefully Pokemon gives us a reprint of this card waaaaaaaaay sooner than they gave us a Shay reprint.

*Espeon EX would be busted right now in this kind of deck. As would Necrozma GX.

*Having the constant draw engine of either Oranguru or Octillery seems wicked important right now.

Thoughts on the Supporters:
*I've had success recently with this line in evolution decks like this: 4 N, 3 Sycamore, 3 Guzma, 2 Lillie, 2 Brigette, and 1 Skyla. 1 Acerola would be nice too. Still on the fence about Lillie. Sometimes she's dead, others she so friggin' good, especially when you're in that weird spot between needing more cards than N could provide and not wanting to deck yourself with sycamore.

Thoughts on Items:
*You need 4 Ultra Balls. Also, Evosoda has proven to be amazing in new Greninja builds, so maybe it has a place here too. Would take some more testing.

*Max Elixir simply doesn't belong in this deck.

*Special Charge may not belong either, because you can use Deci's GX to get back DCEs outta the ditch. BUT, if you decide to employ Rainbows as well, it might be a decent option.

Back