• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Heatran/Magnezone - For a Competitive Junior

RedSuinit

Aspiring Trainer
So here is the decklist I have been working on with my son for the St. Louis Regionals. He's 9 and was 7th at Memphis in December. We're hoping he can continue his performance and make cut again at St. Louis, so we are working on his deck now, hopefully finding the right list before the 17th. We would love to hear some opinions/suggestions to help him out!

Pokemon (18):
3 Magnemite ULP 80
1 Magneton ULP 82
2 Magnezone ULP 83
3 Heatran ULP 88
2 Tapu Lele GX GRI 60
2 Dhelmise GRI 59
1 Oranguru SUM 113
1 Staryu BKP 25
1 Starmie EVO 31
1 Necrozma GX BUS 63
1 Dialga GX ULP 100

Items (15):
4 Ultra Ball
3 Rare Candy
3 Choice Band
2 Professors Letter
1 Rescue Stretcher
1 Float Stone
1 Pal Pad

Supporters(13):
4 Sycamore
2 N
2 Skyla
2 Guzma
2 Brigette
1 Fisherman

Stadiums(4):
4 Mt. Coronet

Energy(10):
10 Metal Energy

Basic Strat:
Get out Magnezone and attack for 130 over and over with Heatran.

Acerola heavy decks:
Once the opponent sets up their bench with multiple GXs, get magnezone and black ray, setting up multiple OHKOs for heatran. This makes the Acerola strat more difficult to pull off.

One Prize attacker decks:
Trade even using heatran until you have 3 prizes remaining. Then use Dialga GXs Timeless GX attack with a band to KO a lele and then win the game using your additional turn, or take 2 one prize KOs and setup to win in the next turn since you would have the prize advantage.

Max Potion Heavy decklists: Try to target their attacker early using Timless GX, and then pray they run out of max potions before they can take 6 knock outs. These matchups can be a real struggle.

Gardevior: Easy match-up, especially with Dialga in the deck. If they focus on Gallade, KO it using timeless GX and then take another prize with a heatran on the next turn. You should be so far ahead that there is no stopping you.

Sylveon/Garde: If they can pull off a Cyrus/Plea in one turn it can hurt pretty bad. But you should hopefully already be so far ahead that you can recover before the game is over.

I feel like this covers the whole meta.

Volcanion: Ideally, heat two EX/GX with Heatran, then Black Ray to take 4 prizes in one turn. If they focus solely on baby Volc, this match up can be defficult. However, since you should be trading one prize KOs, it's.... doable. You have to prioritize multiple Magnezones however, and additional bench space must be used to have out (hopefully) all three Magnemites.

Any thoughts or suggestions on the deck?

Mice list.

Love the idea. I would tech in one Dusk mane Necrozma to be able to hit 190 with its first attack and 250 with its GX attack to help you win the game. I would also add another rescue stretcher and add some field blowers so you don’t get Walloped be garb, so I would take out:

-1-1 starmie line (not needed)
-1 dehlmize (you only need one)

+1 Dusk Mane Necrozma
+2 field Blower

These changes help this deck be able to deal out more damage and not get wrecked by Garbodor. I made all the changes I wanted to except for adding the other stretcher but, yeah.

Hope I helped :)

Mice list.

Love the idea. I would tech in one Dusk mane Necrozma to be able to hit 190 with its first attack and 250 with its GX attack to help you win the game. I would also add another rescue stretcher and add some field blowers so you don’t get Walloped be garb, so I would take out:

-1-1 starmie line (not needed)
-1 dehlmize (you only need one)

+1 Dusk Mane Necrozma
+2 field Blower

These changes help this deck be able to deal out more damage and not get wrecked by Garbodor. I made all the changes I wanted to except for adding the other stretcher but, yeah.

Hope I helped :)

Thanks for the advice! We will definitely give those changes a try. The only hesitation that I have for dusk mane necrozma is another GX attacker and the three energy discard. The two dhelmise are actually really clutch. With both out Garchomp is a cakewalk, without it that match up is not fun.

Last edited:
This deck is going to make Garde tremble, that's good.

This list is good, I personally fell in love with Metal ever since it gained everlasting support, Magnezone and Registeel sealing the deal.
However I would turn this into a pure Metal Box instead of centering in on Heatran, because hitting 130 every turn, simply just won't be enough to get KO's unless you're playing against Garde the whole tournament.

A few things I wanted to point out were-
Dhelmise- Trash it, I know that sounds harsh, but Dhelmise has a huge target on its back just sitting on the bench, it's not like Decidueye GX, a bench sitter that can take a few hits before being knocked out. Dhelmise simply can't take a beating, therefore it needs to go, plus weakness to Zoro, I mean not like the card wouldn't get OHKO'd any other way. The +10 damage to your steel types isn't worth the risk of getting KO'd for a cheeky 1 prize KO for your opponent.

Starmie/Staryu (1/1)- I love the idea, but I think just like Dhelmise, it's gonna be swept from bench and KO'd w/Guzma. Plus I have a better idea in store for energy retreival and such.

So here's my opinion on plus minus.

- 1 Staryu
- 1 Starmie
- 2 Dhelmise

+1 Dusk Mane Necrozma GX
+1 Solgaleo Prism Star
+ 2 Energy Retrieval (You could add one more at the cost of one more -1, which I suggest, but totally your opinion)

Potential additions:
+1 Kartana GX (Blade GX is good, for when you need a prize card, or feel like taking one, can be shuffled back in deck for 1 metal and 2 colorless when a target is on it's back.)

Additions Explanations-

Dusk Mane Necrozma GX- You need this card in here, it hits big numbers with relatively low energy cost/ w/ high efficiency. Even if you only hit big numbers with him once, you can still use him to take out your opponents MVP card, and make them scramble to set up another one before you charge up another Meteor Tenmpest.

Sogaleo Prism Star- This card is AWESOME. Rising Star can come in clutch late game if your Magnezone got swept up and KO'd for whatever reason. It can potentially turn a game you were guaranteed to lose, to a game you can win in an instant, let me set up an example:

Scenario: One metal energy in hand, rest in discard, opponent has 4-5 benched Pokemon, you need one prize to win, opponent needs 2, Solgaleo Prism can take one more hit and he's done, you have an uncharged Dusk Mane Necrozma benched.

- Rising Star w/Solgaleo get 4 Metal energy on Dusk Mane Necrozma
- Opponent knocks out Solgaleo.
- Meteor Tempest for win.

I mean your opponent is probs not that stupid, but you get the point.

Energy Retrieval- Reprinted in SM-Base, niche way to get energy from discard if Solgaleo Prism is in deck, and Magnezone is in play ready to transfer some energy from your hand.

That's my opinion, take it with a grain of salt.
- AFEX

I like the idea here and would have to play with it a bit to get to know it well enough to give solid advice. One thing that jumps out to me on an initial browse though, is that any time you do not have your stadium of choice in play, the entire strategy falls apart. If playing against you with this, my target would be Starmie & Stadiums - so you need a way round that.

And with the amount of Field Blower & counter Stadia in the game, it might be wise to look at some ways to ensure you always have a stadium to hand. Even if that means finding room for just one Lusamine, or some energy retrieval - it could be crucial.

I like the idea here and would have to play with it a bit to get to know it well enough to give solid advice. One thing that jumps out to me on an initial browse though, is that any time you do not have your stadium of choice in play, the entire strategy falls apart. And with the amount of Field Blower & counter Stadia in the game,it might be wise to look at some ways to ensure you always have a stadium to hand. Even if that means finding room for just one Lusamine, it could be crucial.

I agree.

I like the idea here and would have to play with it a bit to get to know it well enough to give solid advice. One thing that jumps out to me on an initial browse though, is that any time you do not have your stadium of choice in play, the entire strategy falls apart. If playing against you with this, my target would be Starmie & Stadiums - so you need a way round that.

And with the amount of Field Blower & counter Stadia in the game, it might be wise to look at some ways to ensure you always have a stadium to hand. Even if that means finding room for just one Lusamine, or some energy retrieval - it could be crucial.

Yeah, that is something I have been thinking about pretty hard. You typically have the stadium when you need it, but at the same time, he has last games without it before. You almost have to just stall with the heatran using Guard Press. It's still doable, but much harder. That was part of why the starmie was a consideration, but I think ditching the starmie for a Lusamine and another card may be the better play. Just don't know really.

This deck is going to make Garde tremble, that's good.

This list is good, I personally fell in love with Metal ever since it gained everlasting support, Magnezone and Registeel sealing the deal.
However I would turn this into a pure Metal Box instead of centering in on Heatran, because hitting 130 every turn, simply just won't be enough to get KO's unless you're playing against Garde the whole tournament.

A few things I wanted to point out were-
Dhelmise- Trash it, I know that sounds harsh, but Dhelmise has a huge target on its back just sitting on the bench, it's not like Decidueye GX, a bench sitter that can take a few hits before being knocked out. Dhelmise simply can't take a beating, therefore it needs to go, plus weakness to Zoro, I mean not like the card wouldn't get OHKO'd any other way. The +10 damage to your steel types isn't worth the risk of getting KO'd for a cheeky 1 prize KO for your opponent.

Starmie/Staryu (1/1)- I love the idea, but I think just like Dhelmise, it's gonna be swept from bench and KO'd w/Guzma. Plus I have a better idea in store for energy retreival and such.

So here's my opinion on plus minus.

- 1 Staryu
- 1 Starmie
- 2 Dhelmise

+1 Dusk Mane Necrozma GX
+1 Solgaleo Prism Star
+ 2 Energy Retrieval (You could add one more at the cost of one more -1, which I suggest, but totally your opinion)

Potential additions:
+1 Kartana GX (Blade GX is good, for when you need a prize card, or feel like taking one, can be shuffled back in deck for 1 metal and 2 colorless when a target is on it's back.)

Additions Explanations-

Dusk Mane Necrozma GX- You need this card in here, it hits big numbers with relatively low energy cost/ w/ high efficiency. Even if you only hit big numbers with him once, you can still use him to take out your opponents MVP card, and make them scramble to set up another one before you charge up another Meteor Tenmpest.

Sogaleo Prism Star- This card is AWESOME. Rising Star can come in clutch late game if your Magnezone got swept up and KO'd for whatever reason. It can potentially turn a game you were guaranteed to lose, to a game you can win in an instant, let me set up an example:

Scenario: One metal energy in hand, rest in discard, opponent has 4-5 benched Pokemon, you need one prize to win, opponent needs 2, Solgaleo Prism can take one more hit and he's done, you have an uncharged Dusk Mane Necrozma benched.

- Rising Star w/Solgaleo get 4 Metal energy on Dusk Mane Necrozma
- Opponent knocks out Solgaleo.
- Meteor Tempest for win.

I mean your opponent is probs not that stupid, but you get the point.

Energy Retrieval- Reprinted in SM-Base, niche way to get energy from discard if Solgaleo Prism is in deck, and Magnezone is in play ready to transfer some energy from your hand.

That's my opinion, take it with a grain of salt.
- AFEX

I love these suggestions, and it's something we will definitely try. I don't want to ditch both Dhelmise though, being able to one shot a Lele with a heatran is pretty good. It also makes it much easier to setup a 2HKO on any 210 HP pokemon using Guard Press.

I love these suggestions, and it's something we will definitely try. I don't want to ditch both Dhelmise though, being able to one shot a Lele with a heatran is pretty good. It also makes it much easier to setup a 2HKO on any 210 HP pokemon using Guard Press.

Guess that make sense.

Back