• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Gumshoos GX Control Deck

Javi Blizz

Spanish TCG Player
Hey guys, after some time playing decks which have had some success before (Rainbow Road, Yveltal and Lurantis-GX), I want to try to create a rogue deck. A few days ago, I realized how powerful Gumshoos-GX's ability is, but I need help with the deck building. I hope you can help me. This is the first list I've thought:

4-4 Gumshoos GX
3-3 Raticate EVO
1-1 Slowking BKP
1 Shaymin EX

3 Sycamore
4 N
1 Team Skull Grunt
1 Team Flare Grunt
1 Delinquent

3 Trainers' Mail
3 Vs Seeker
3 Bursting Balloon
1 Eco Arm
3 Level Ball
3 Ultra Ball
4 Crushing Hammer
1 Enhanced Hammer
2 Parallel City

4 DCE
4 Water Energy

The main idea of the deck is to control your opponent's hand, by discarding their in hand energy or reducing their hand (thanks to Gumshoos-GX's ability you can choose under zero risks), while doing damage in mid game with Gumshoos-GX attack. I think Raticate and Slowbro could be very beneficial for energy denial in early game (also, Raticate's second attack can be useful against special energy decks). This is not a mill deck, so I don't think things such as Houndoom EX or Bunnelby are options I'm looking for. I'd like to add things such as Super Rod and Red Card to the list, but what should I take out? Finally, I've always felt comfortable running only 3 Vs Seeker, as it gives me one extra slot for any item.

Too big of an investment in Gumshoos, I've run similar decks and you should never go more than 2-2 on that card from my experience, the ability doesn't stack and from a sheer offense perspective it's not that great of a card. Use the space to thicken your slowking line and add 2nd shaymin and 4th vs seeker for consistency. Another attacker option for disruption decks is Umbreon-GX which is self-searching and has an energy disruption GX attack.

You need float stones or some other switching items as well, the ability to freely bring raticate in to crunch key energies off or drop big shadow bites is key. I'd drop your balloons for float stones and drop the eco arm as well.

Another option you should consider is Herdier SM, played over Slowking BKP. Its ability lets you reclaim a hammer, and if you include a couple of devolution sprays you can get multiple uses of it. I run 2-2 in my disruption deck with 2 devolution sprays, under ideal conditions it gives me 8 crushing flips instead of 4 (or 2-4 extra enhanced hammers verses special energy). Slowking might cause more disruption against decks with poor ability to bring energy out of discard, but I found that it didn't do enough to slow down decks like Darkrai-EX.

Back