Groudon-EX?

Kiefer_777

This is the all powerful genosect.
Do you think that this will be made into a deck like terrakion and since its weak to water grasss wont do anything and it can do a lot of damage. This could cause some trouble for zekeels.

Groudon EX – Fighting – HP180
Basic Pokemon

[F][C] Trample: 20 damage. This attack also does 10 damage to each of your opponent’s Benched Pokemon. (Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance when damaging the Bench.)
[F][F][C] Giant Claw: 80 damage. At the time of dealing damage, if the opponent’s Active Pokemon already has 2 or more damage counters on it, this attack does an additional 40 damage.

Pokemon EX Rule: When Pokemon EX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Water (x2)
Resistance: Lightning (-20)
Retreat: 4

RE: Groudon ex???

I could definitely see it getting some use in Mono-Fighting decks. The most obvious problem with using EX's against Zekrom EX/Reshiram EX is that once they use their 150 attacks, you're always within KO range of a Glinting Claw with or without the coinflip. With Groudon, Strong Volt only does 130, and with an Eviolite 110, putting it out of KO range from a Glinting Claw which is really nice.

I expect so see something like a 1/1 or 2/1 split of this with Terrakion EX in future Mono-Fighting decks.

Yeah, it's definitely a good card seeing the way the format has shaped up. How good it will be will depend entirely on how the next set changes the format. If the only new deck to come out is Zoroark, it will just get better, especially if a lot of people drop CTM to play Zoroark. I know I'm definitely considering doing that.

Also, the weakness to water doesn't guarantee it safety from everything. If it started dominating, people would start to play Kyurem-EX or something like that.

This card is a lot better than I remember it being. The fact that it falls 20 damage short of the OHKO on Zekrom EX is a real let down. I except Groudon to see some play, but I doubt it will be more played than Terrakion. It doesn't have a much of a tech purpose, it can work in Electrode Variants and it can work as its own deck, but that is it.

I see what you are saying but, it's very clunky. If some one discards Energy you are in trouble. I think this could be useful a tech in Straight Terrakion.
Edit:
Oh, it's weakness is water. Thats a great thing with Kyurem, Kyurem EX and the Feraligatr/Samurott combo around.
{W}I disapprove,{W}​

I think it's a bit in the middle in terms of how many we'll see played, similar to Shaymin and Gigas.
If it did 90+ I'm sure it'd be hyped more, but in Fighting decks that use PlusPower it'll definitely have a place.

Vulpix Yolk said:
This card is a lot better than I remember it being. The fact that it falls 20 damage short of the OHKO on Zekrom EX is a real let down. I except Groudon to see some play, but I doubt it will be more played than Terrakion. It doesn't have a much of a tech purpose, it can work in Electrode Variants and it can work as its own deck, but that is it.
Well, you'd probably Trample a couple times first in order to set up KOs. Or if they don't drop the Zekrom-EX right away, you can still run PlusPower for the final 20. It only takes one PlusPower to get the OHKO.

Blui129 said:
I see what you are saying but, it's very clunky. If some one discards Energy you are in trouble. I think this could be useful a tech in Straight Terrakion.
Edit:
Oh, it's weakness is water. Thats a great thing with Kyurem, Kyurem EX and the Feraligatr/Samurott combo around.
{W}I disapprove,{W}​
I haven't seen any of those around, lol. Or definitely not as much as Celebi decks are around. The split weakness makes a deck with both Terrakion and Groudon harder to counter, though. So the weakness to water is a good thing for the deck regardless of how much water is played.

Celebi23 said:
Well, you'd probably Trample a couple times first in order to set up KOs. Or if they don't drop the Zekrom-EX right away, you can still run PlusPower for the final 20. It only takes one PlusPower to get the OHKO.
Blui129 said:
Edit:
{W}I disapprove,{W}​
I haven't seen any of those around, lol. Or definitely not as much as Celebi decks are around. The split weakness makes a deck with both Terrakion and Groudon harder to counter, though. So the weakness to water is a good thing for the deck regardless of how much water is played.
Each is an individual (except the Feraligatr/Samurott) and I did see a deck with all ofthese cards at state XP.
VVV kills Groudon and CMT kills straight Terrakion, this is starting to get off topic (the thread)

I think when combined with landorus gaia hammer and kingdra prime's poke-power (as well as trample), giant claw could hit for 120 most of the time.

it also means that typhlosion prime now becomes a risky card to play, as the damage can mount very quickly (it also worth mentioning that {W} didn't see a spike in usage to counter rerishram decks)

Blui129 said:
Each is an individual (except the Feraligatr/Samurott) and I did see a deck with all ofthese cards at state XP.
VVV kills Groudon and CMT kills straight Terrakion, this is starting to get off topic (the thread)

Yeah, I know. I meant that I haven't seen any Kyurem, Kyurem-EX, or Feraligatr/Samurott being used, with the slight exception of Kyurem. One deck at States out of what was probably over 100 players doesn't make it a legitimate threat, especially since most of the better players won't use them.

I foresee two decks with Groudon EX:

Groudon/Landorus: Damage with spread, and after the spread, massive damage with Groudon.
Groudon/Tetra-kion: Damage with spead, and Retaliation.

Advantage: Groudon/Landorus.

Problem: Empoleon, Kyogre EX, Kyruem, Kyruem EX, Yanmega Prime, Tornadus, Tornadus EX.

Celebi23 said:
Yeah, I know. I meant that I haven't seen any Kyurem, Kyurem-EX, or Feraligatr/Samurott being used, with the slight exception of Kyurem. One deck at States out of what was probably over 100 players doesn't make it a legitimate threat, especially since most of the better players won't use them.

Maybe it's just location. Also I played all three in the past month and in one city (Melbourne). All were used by different people.
Trample, Trample, Giant Claw.
EDIT: We only had about 17 I think (yes we are a small community) at states in Seniors. I have no idea what Masters or Juniors did (Excludes TyRam, Durant, CMT, CaKE, ZEkeels and Eelzone).

Emopanda133 said:
I foresee two decks with Groudon EX:

Groudon/Landorus: Damage with spread, and after the spread, massive damage with Groudon.
Groudon/Tetra-kion: Damage with spead, and Retaliation.

Advantage: Groudon/Landorus.

Problem: Empoleon, Kyogre EX, Kyruem, Kyruem EX, Yanmega Prime, Tornadus, Tornadus EX.

Kyogre EX isn't really a worry because it won't be played. AT ALL.

Okay, I just put it there for anyone who thinks it woould be played (really I don't think anyone thinks this is good)

Trample is just fantastic. A nice spreading attack which can set you up for some huge Giant Claws, this really puts ZekEel decks in a kind of predicament. For some reason, I'm still seeing Kyurem around which can definitely take advantage of Groudon's Weakness. On the other hand, you can trash him pretty easily. Hahaha Tornadus is gonna see a lot of play to try and counter this guy.

Serperior said:
Hahaha Tornadus is gonna see a lot of play to try and counter this guy.

I actually don't know if there is any decks with Tornadus EX in them. Since CMT is useless in Dark Explorers, between Electric and Dark Toolboxes, CMT gets dropped from Tier 1. (For those of you who think this is wrong, look up the Japan standings, Dark Toolbox is Top Deck, Electric Toolbox is right behind them, and Groudon variants in third. You have to guarantee a perfect set-up with CMT and pray they don't have more than one Pokemon starting to do any good with it, or hope to go against a Fighting deck. Other than that, I don't see any other deck he could do good in.

Emopanda133 said:
I actually don't know if there is any decks with Tornadus EX in them. Since CMT is useless in Dark Explorers, between Electric and Dark Toolboxes, CMT gets dropped from Tier 1. (For those of you who think this is wrong, look up the Japan standings, Dark Toolbox is Top Deck, Electric Toolbox is right behind them, and Groudon variants in third. You have to guarantee a perfect set-up with CMT and pray they don't have more than one Pokemon starting to do any good with it, or hope to go against a Fighting deck. Other than that, I don't see any other deck he could do good in.

Japan's results rarely carry over to match ours. Last year, LostGar was the BDIF, but did that happen here? Of course not. I don't think CMT will die, because it's not terrible against dark toolbox, it can play Terrakion itself.

Of course we're going to see a few more Tornadus in CMT. I'm not sure if we'll see Tornadus EX per se, but it may be a one-of. 170 HP, minus 20 Resistance, (which renders Trample useless to Tornadus), and it can 2HKO the punk and slow him down on the first hit if we get a heads. (Not to mention DCE is still out there and can speed him up.) Then again, we're still playing Theorymon.

I guess you haven't found the right list then, because apparently it's BDIF in Japan... and they have the same format as us, so you can't really make the Lostgar argument.

Back