• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Greninja BREAK / Healing Scarf

TheLunaticHypno

Just your average Hypno fan
My friend got a Greninja break and a bunch of the cards to go with it, so I traded him for them, and here is my list.

Pokémon: 16
  • 4 Froakie
  • 4 Frogadier
  • 2 Greninja BRP
  • 2 Greninja XY
  • 2 Greninja BREAK
  • 2 Shaymin EX
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 32
  • 3 Rough Seas
  • 3 N
  • 2 Professor Sycamore
  • 1 Professor Birch's Observations
  • 3 Wally
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 1 Skyla
  • 2 Fisherman
  • 2 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Dive Ball
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 3 Trainers' Mail
  • 2 Battle Compressor
  • 2 Healing Scarf
  • 2 Muscle Band
Energy: 9
  • 9 Water Energy
Strategy:

The card that I'm the most excited about testing is the healing scarf most of the time you are using moonlight slash as your attack, unless their deck relies heavily on abilities (that's what the muscle band is for. Might add another, just for that reason.) but you do extra damage, if you return the energy to your hand, and healing scarf, heals 20 damage, when you attach energy. So that's a free 20 heal, on top of the potential 30 from rough seas. So 50 heal a turn is nothing to laugh at. I have the battle compressors, to discard the Lysandres, wallys for turn one, and sycamore/N. I think that 3 Wally is good, to ensure a turn one water duplicates. I decided to have 2 ultra ball to discard unwanted stuff, and decrease hand size for octillery draw. I only wanted to have a 1-1 line of octillery, because that's what I'm most comfortable playing, and we want to have froakie as on turn one. I'm also looking for a good backup attacker, and right now, arcticuno AT is looking pretty nice rn. I don't think that more than one is needed, but please leave your opinion below :D

EDIT: I changed the 1-1 octillery for 2 shaymins, due to having a lot of mull agains. I also took out 1 Vs seeker for a froakie for the same reason. I used one of the open spots for another muscle band. The reason I have 4 tools and 2 attackers, is because for a different match up, you should use different tools. Ie if you are going against mega ray/ mega man, you should use a muscle band, for increased damage. If you are going against night march or vespiqueen vileplume, use healing scarf, because the extra damage is not needed

Last edited:
Ok i must say healing scarf seems brilliant. I have never played greninja however coupled with moonlight slash discarding and reattaching every turn to take out EXs most of the time it sounds really good. I have had issues taking out greninja in past games, specifiaclly M Man. I played my rough seas hit for 110 and he was tanking stuff, with healing scarf it only seems better however i do feel like muscle band should be in there as well at least 1 as it can help 2 shot pesky EXs, then again you have water shurikens so idk but healing scarf seems like at least 1 of maybe 2 because free retreat lets you hide on bench and cycle heal with rough seas and scarfs

Ok i must say healing scarf seems brilliant. I have never played greninja however coupled with moonlight slash discarding and reattaching every turn to take out EXs most of the time it sounds really good. I have had issues taking out greninja in past games, specifiaclly M Man. I played my rough seas hit for 110 and he was tanking stuff, with healing scarf it only seems better however i do feel like muscle band should be in there as well at least 1 as it can help 2 shot pesky EXs, then again you have water shurikens so idk but healing scarf seems like at least 1 of maybe 2 because free retreat lets you hide on bench and cycle heal with rough seas and scarfs
im not sure if this was a typo, or not, but moonlight slash returns the energy to your hand. just thought i would point it out, in case you didnt know. i do have the 1 muscle band, but might bump it up to two, because different matchups require different tools, y'know?

I made some big changes today, and I now have a full list of 60 cards, though it might change again. Will update later tomorrow

I use Max Potion instead of Healing Scarf, Greninja will have no energy on it anyways, so that's a more effective heal and it doesn't waste the item that could go to Muscle Band or nothing (against Manectric). The healing over and over sounds good for the BPT Greninja, but you run 2-2 with XY, and that one will not benefit almost at all from healing scarf.

I'm not a fan of Shaymin in a Greninja deck (I have not actually tried it though). With all the mulligans you're highly likely to start with one in the active, and you're only running 2 Ultra Ball, so your chance to seeking it out on turn 1 is pretty low. Plus Greninja is strong because it can prize trade and knock out Shaymin's on the bench. If your own Shaymin's are getting Lysandre'd and OHKO, you're losing your prize advantage. And without any DCE in the deck, Sky Returning is much harder.

I use Max Potion instead of Healing Scarf, Greninja will have no energy on it anyways, so that's a more effective heal and it doesn't waste the item that could go to Muscle Band or nothing (against Manectric). The healing over and over sounds good for the BPT Greninja, but you run 2-2 with XY, and that one will not benefit almost at all from healing scarf.

I'm not a fan of Shaymin in a Greninja deck (I have not actually tried it though). With all the mulligans you're highly likely to start with one in the active, and you're only running 2 Ultra Ball, so your chance to seeking it out on turn 1 is pretty low. Plus Greninja is strong because it can prize trade and knock out Shaymin's on the bench. If your own Shaymin's are getting Lysandre'd and OHKO, you're losing your prize advantage. And without any DCE in the deck, Sky Returning is much harder.
Thats a good point, you make about the healing scarf... I would rather have all damage removed, than just 20. Thanks. I posted yesterday that I would update my list, and taking out 1 xy Greninja for a brp Greninja was one of the changes I made. I'm probably going to switch out the two healing scarves, for a muscle band and something else. On the topic of Shaymin, I might take the two out for the 1-1 octillery line again, but see what works best when I test it on Sunday at my local card shop, and the same goes for the healing scarves. Thanks for the help :D

Back