• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Greninja BREAK (BKT-BUS)

jessalakasam

Floette is love Floette is life
Pokemon:
****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 19

* 2 Alolan Grimer SUM 57
*2 Alolan Muk SUM 58
* 1 Tapu Lele GRI 155
* 3 Greninja BREAK BKP 41
* 3 Froakie BKP 38
* 4 Frogadier BKP 39
* 4 Greninja BKP 40

##Trainer Cards - 29

* 3 Choice Band GRI 121
* 1 Enhanced Hammer GRI 162
* 2 Field Blower GRI 163
* 2 Fisherman HS 92
* 3 Guzma BUS 143
* 2 Max Potion GRI 164
* 3 N NVI 101
* 1 Lillie SUM 147
* 4 Professor Sycamore STS 114
* 2 Professor Kukui SUM 148
* 2 Float Stone PLF 99
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 161

##Energy - 12

* 10 Water Energy EVO 93
* 2 Splash Energy BKP 113

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Any suggestions are appreciated

Last edited:
What's Wicke for? Wicke is awful.

What's Wicke for? Wicke is awful.
It's better than N for Late Game :/ I know it's not the best card but there will be situations where it can be clutch. Plus the additional draw support in general without Seeker is nice

I was thinking that maybe it could help you get out of those dead hands Greninja is famous for, but it won't help you escape from a late-game N. Additionally, in a format without VS Seeker, running a single-use Supporter isn't recommended. I'd swap it for another Guzma or N (since the deck is so slow).

I was thinking that maybe it could help you get out of those dead hands Greninja is famous for, but it won't help you escape from a late-game N. Additionally, in a format without VS Seeker, running a single-use Supporter isn't recommended. I'd swap it for another Guzma or N (since the deck is so slow).
I like it personally but I'd have to test first before I decide if I should take it out. I only run one do to it being somewhat situational, also, if I get N'd I can just use Talonflame's (in most cases) Aero Blitz to get a Sycamore and something else

What purpose does Talonflame Break serve? Is it just to boost HP? The top placing deck at the NAIC played it, but I'm still not clear why.

I'm not criticizing its inclusion, I'm genuinely curious. I'm not a regular player, so I missed the innovation of this bit of tech.

As for this list, 3-4 Guzma seems right.

What purpose does Talonflame Break serve? Is it just to boost HP? The top placing deck at the NAIC played it, but I'm still not clear why.

I'm not criticizing its inclusion, I'm genuinely curious. I'm not a regular player, so I missed the innovation of this bit of tech.

Talonflame Break is a tech to pick off Rowlet, Dartrix, and Grubbin before they evolve. With a Choice Band, it can 2HKO Decidueye and Metagross.

What should I remove for the 1-2 Guzma

What should I remove for the 1-2 Guzma
You might want to cut a couple energy. Other Greninja lists don't run too many basic energy despite them being necessary for Giant Water Shuriken. This can be seen with Alex Krekeler's deck list at the North American internationals. You can retrieve the energies for reuse with Fisherman or Super Rod anyway.

Two words: Promo Tina. Greninja will be ok for climbing the ladder maybe playing a tournament on PTCGO but Promo Giratina makes it unplayable for tournament play. And this makes me a little sad, I was so hoping to pull off the triple Shuriken with Guzma.

Two words: Promo Tina. Greninja will be ok for climbing the ladder maybe playing a tournament on PTCGO but Promo Giratina makes it unplayable for tournament play. And this makes me a little sad, I was so hoping to pull off the triple Shuriken with Guzma.
Yeah the only counter for it RN is A-Muk :( he doesn’t appear to frequently though to be fair

Haha - hadn't even thought of that, a counter to the counter. Hilarious - very insightful jess, maybe the Blue Frog is playable....

Haha - hadn't even thought of that, a counter to the counter. Hilarious - very insightful jess, maybe the Blue Frog is playable....
It could work you can remove Talonflame for a 2-2 line and can try to find space for Lele and Stone

It's better than N for Late Game :/ I know it's not the best card but there will be situations where it can be clutch. Plus the additional draw support in general without Seeker is nice
in my opinion, Lillie will be a better late game. Only you would be drawing your cards and keeps your opponent drawing new cards. Yes it could still keep your opponent drawing one card but if you are N'd to 1, then you are stuck and @PMJ is right. So Lillie > Wicke.

Also, to me, Staryu and Starmie are better than Talonflame. Hear me out. Yes more chances to get Talonflame out and search out two cards and free retreat. Then you have 3 others to deal with. Yes you can use them for Ultra Ball, but Starmie's Ability lets you get your energies back after discarding them with Giant Water Shuriken. Oh and use the Break Point Staryu for free retreat so...

-4 talon flame
-1 talon flame break
+2 Staryu (Break Point)
+1 Starmie (Evolutions)

Leaves you with two cards to choose from. Wally, Tapu Lele and Evosoda. With Dive Balls gone, your only way to get your Greninjas and Greninja Breaks are Ultra Balls and maybe Rescue Stretcher. Evosoda gets them directly to the field. So in a way it acts as a Dive Ball.

With Starmie included, you don't need 10 water energy. so...

-3 water energy
+1 splash energy

2 cards remaining.

Also no fisherman needed if you are using Starmie to get your energies back.

2 cards remaining.

Rescue Stretcher is a must have to get your Greninja back. I have 3 in my deck.

I also run 3 Timer Ball to get your Evolution Pokemon but it depends on if you want to risk a coin flip. Hence the Evosoda.

So with 4 cards remaining, add 3 stretcher and 1 Timer Ball. Maybe 1 Stardust Jirachi instead of Timer Ball. You decide which is better.

Oh and remove the Enhanced Hammer if you are running Promo Jirachi. It'll remove the Special Energies for ya. So in it's place... add a third Field Blower in case of Garbotoxin. I ran 2, got rid of both Float Stones and they still attach a Choice Band to re-activate Garbotoxin.

So after my suggestions, your new deck will look like this. (Bold lettering is the change)

##Pokémon - 19

* 4 Froakie BKP 38
* 4 Frogadier BKP 39
* 4 Greninja BKP 40
2 Staryu BKP
1- Starmie (Evolutions)
1 Jirachi (Stardust Promo)

##Trainer Cards - 31

* 3 Choice Band GRI 121
* 2 Field Blower GRI 163
* 3 Guzma BUS 143
* 3 N NVI 101
* 1 Lillie SUM 147
* 2 Rare Candy GRI 165
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 161
3 Rescue Stretcher GRI
3 Evosoda (Generations)

##Energy - 10

* 7 Water Energy EVO 93
* 3# Splash Energy BKP 113

I know it's a lot, but let me know how this goes for you.

Also, to me, Staryu and Starmie are better than Talonflame. Hear me out. Yes more chances to get Talonflame out and search out two cards and free retreat. Then you have 3 others to deal with. Yes you can use them for Ultra Ball, but Starmie's Ability lets you get your energies back after discarding them with Giant Water Shuriken. Oh and use the Break Point Staryu for free retreat so...

-4 talon flame
-1 talon flame break
+2 Staryu (Break Point)
+1 Starmie (Evolutions)

Leaves you with two cards to choose from. Wally, Tapu Lele and Evosoda. With Dive Balls gone, your only way to get your Greninjas and Greninja Breaks are Ultra Balls and maybe Rescue Stretcher. Evosoda gets them directly to the field. So in a way it acts as a Dive Ball.

With Starmie included, you don't need 10 water energy. so...

-3 water energy
+1 splash energy

2 cards remaining.

Also no fisherman needed if you are using Starmie to get your energies back.

2 cards remaining.

Rescue Stretcher is a must have to get your Greninja back. I have 3 in my deck.

I also run 3 Timer Ball to get your Evolution Pokemon but it depends on if you want to risk a coin flip. Hence the Evosoda.

So with 4 cards remaining, add 3 stretcher and 1 Timer Ball. Maybe 1 Stardust Jirachi instead of Timer Ball. You decide which is better.

Oh and remove the Enhanced Hammer if you are running Promo Jirachi. It'll remove the Special Energies for ya. So in it's place... add a third Field Blower in case of Garbotoxin. I ran 2, got rid of both Float Stones and they still attach a Choice Band to re-activate Garbotoxin.

So after my suggestions, your new deck will look like this. (Bold lettering is the change)

##Pokémon - 19

* 4 Froakie BKP 38
* 4 Frogadier BKP 39
* 4 Greninja BKP 40
2 Staryu BKP
1- Starmie (Evolutions)
1 Jirachi (Stardust Promo)

##Trainer Cards - 31

* 3 Choice Band GRI 121
* 2 Field Blower GRI 163
* 3 Guzma BUS 143
* 3 N NVI 101
* 1 Lillie SUM 147
* 2 Rare Candy GRI 165
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 161
3 Rescue Stretcher GRI
3 Evosoda (Generations)

##Energy - 10

* 7 Water Energy EVO 93
* 3# Splash Energy BKP 113

I know it's a lot, but let me know how this goes for you.
I couldn't agree with your choices less, I don't feel like most really help in any way

With regards to the Giratina issue, is there anything we can use to turn on Talonflame Break's attack? Then we just OHKO it.

On the low tech end...I don't know...Rainbow Energy?

Not saying it's a great solution, but it could work. Also gives us a Pokémon that retreats for free and hits for 150 and, if I understand correctly, since Rainbow Energy counts as colorless energy, it isn't discarded when you use the attack.

Back