• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Expanded GR Wailord/ FF Aurorus Expanded

Kyrushi

Squirrel
I wanted to mess around with Aurorus's awesome ability to make water pokemon take less damage and went through several changes to get where I am now. Originally used Golisopod + AO Vaporeon, then Pallosand + AO Vaporeon for super healing, but neither of them flowed well because I had to scatter energy and Pallosand only really worked when it had Strong Energy, which also slowed down the flow.

This is the current build, and so far it seems pretty solid.

Pokemon (18)
  • 2x Tapu Lele GX
  • 1x Manaphy EX
  • 1x Comfee
  • 3x Alola Vulpix
  • 2x Alolan Ninetales GX
  • 2x Wailmer (Guardians Rising)
  • 2x Wailord (Guardians Rising)
  • 3x Amoura
  • 2x Aurorus
Trainers (29)
  • 3x Rough Seas
  • 2x N
  • 3x Professor Sycamore
  • 3x Trainer's Mail
  • 3x VS seeker
  • 2x Professor's Letter
  • 1x Team Flare Grunt
  • 1x Team Skull Grunt
  • 2x Fossil Researcher
  • 3x Ultra Ball
  • 3x Aqua Patch
  • 2x Rescue Strecher
  • 1x AZ
Energy (13)
  • 3x Fairy Energy
  • 8x Water Energy
  • 2x Double Colorless Energy
The main focus is to get Wailord up and running ASAP. Between 2 Aurorus, Rough Seas, and his attack healing 30, the opponent has to deal at least 110 damage to make any headway against his massive HP. This combined with VS Seekering Team Skull / Flare Grunt makes it obnoxious to break though since he isn't an EX, and therefore isn't effected by Choice Band.

Tapu Lele is mostly there to help me getting the bench running ASAP by grabbing my Fossil Researcher. Idealy, I'd like to start with Alola Vulpix and have Tapu Lele (or an Ultra Ball to get lele) in my hand. This way I can get Aurorus running turn 2. Ultra Ball is especially handy since I can abuse it to set up Wailord faster with Aqua Patch. If Fossil Researcher is already in my hand, or the opponent makes me go first, it may be wiser to take Skull Grunt instead to slow down their start.

Manaphy and Comfee are tech cards to keep me safe from force switches and status (especially for that nasty Plasma Articuno EX i've ran into at my card shop.) I have the single AZ in my deck so that, once Lele has done their job, I can replace it with one of my tech cards or re-play the Lele later in the case I need something like Sycamore ASAP. I'd run Super Scoop Up, but I never trust coin flips and try to avoid them.

Alola Ninetales is more-so for the raw power than anything else if I end up needing it. It is a way to snipe off Pokemon setting up on the bench since I didn't have room for anything like Lysandre in the curent build. The extra 40 defense and 30 healing is especially useful in making sure I can build up damage for my GX attack.

Noteable changes i've considered:
- Replacing Fairy Energy for Rainbow Energy so I can use Tapu Lele's GX move for extra stall power. I can heal off damage on pokemon abusing Comfee if I need to.
- Replacing AZ with Scoop Up Cyclone whenever I can get my hands on one to preserve my supporter slot.
- Replacing one of my supporters for Pokemon Fan Club or Nest Ball to make it easier to grab my Tech cards in a pinch.
- Running Heavy Dumbbells once those come out in Burning Shadows to make Wailord even tankier.
- Finding room for one or two Head Ringers to disrupt popular EX cards like Darkrai and Mewtwo.

All that said, what do you think? Obviously I need to worry about cards like Mewtwo EX that deal damage equal to energy attachment at the current time and Garbodor can be dangerous to deal with if I get too crazy with items. Should I go with some of my considered changes? Are there any suggestions I haven't thought of?

Back