Gorebyss + Dragonite?

Tortonic

Aspiring Member
So I've been thinking of using a Dragon Dance set for Dragonite (with a twist). Its base stats listed below:

Min- Min Max Max+
HP 91

- 323 386 -
Atk 134
273 304 367 403
Def 95
203 226 289 317
SpA 100
212 236 299 328
SpD 100
212 236 299 328
Spe 80
176 196 259 284

Dragonite@Sitrus Berry
Ability: Multiscale
Nature: Rash (+SpA -SpD)
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpA
~Dragon Dance
~Dragon Claw
~Fire Blast
~other coverage move

The point of this set is to get a Gorebyss (with maxed speed/bulk and a White Herb) to Shell Smash in front of a Pokemon which can't badly damage or OHKO it, possibly the hardest thing to do in this set-up. After it does this, it will Baton Pass to Dragonite, who will have Multiscale and a Sitrus Berry to soften any attacks it receives while using Dragon Dance. The Sitrus Berry also helps stop priority moves like Bullet Punch from doing too much damage.
After it sets up, it gains so much power:

• Even with a neutral nature, its Attack (with a x3 boost) reaches over 1000, which can make up for having Dragon Claw instead of Outrage (no confusion or move-lock).
  • Its Special Attack reaches 656, which, with Fire Blast, will destroy Steel walls, and severely damage any Pokemon which doesn't have high Special Defense (eg. Conkeldurr).
  • Also with absolute minimum speed (176), and a x3 boost, it can still outspeed a Choice Scarf Latios, one of the fastest threats in the OU tier (Dragonite-528 Latios-525).

However, this set is definitely not perfect. What should I do to improve it?

Attack, Speed, and Special Attacks are only x2, not x3 from one Shell Smash. Sitrus Berry doesn't make moves hit any less powerfully; it heals some of your HP when it drops below a certain percentage, I think 33%. In terms of a coverage move, Earthquake could have possibilities since it then can damage a Heatran which does not have an Air Balloon still. Another option is Brick Break, which while weaker than Earthquake, can always hit Heatran so it can't use Hidden Power Ice against the Dragonite. The only other viable move I can think of for it would be Roost which lets it abuse Multiscale more.

To clarify, I was planning to use Dragon Dance on top of a Shell Smash, and by "less damage" that, assuming Dragonite doesn't die, he will end up taking less overall damage from that attack because of the HP recovery. Thanks for the move suggestions, though.

Back