Ruling Golisopod GX First Impression

formula1man

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
hello everyone.

I have a question in regards to Golisopod GX and it's first impression attack. Can i utilise this if I only have one in play with a zoroark. As in can I start my turn with golisopod as my active Pokemon, then use soroark's ability to switch it out. Then retreat zoroark and being out the first golisopod and do 120 damage? Or does it have to be on my bench when I start my turn? Obviously this will be fine if I have two as I can zoroark one out then retreat and bring out the other. Or use a straight switch between the two.

First Impression checks if the user was on the Bench at any point during your current turn. Using Stand In and retreating will get you the bonus damage, even if it's the same Golisopod-GX.

Addition to the previous question. Golisopod with dmg is active. Acerola to pick it up, promote Tapu Koko, evolve the benched wimpod with the picked up Golisopod and retreat the Koko, will it activate 1st impression?

Yes that is perfectly fine as well as long as it came from the bench to that active at any point in the turn first impression does 120

switching anytime from bench to active negates attack affects, such as on metagross gx, golisopod gx, and volcanion ex

Something to keep in mind, that I learned the hard way, is that if you Acerola the active Golisopod with no Golisopod benched and no free retreaters, if you send out a Wimpod and evolve it once it's in the active, it won't deal 120 damage. I think it's due to the fact that the Golisopod GX has to be on the bench, and not it's previous evolution.

Something to keep in mind, that I learned the hard way, is that if you Acerola the active Golisopod with no Golisopod benched and no free retreaters, if you send out a Wimpod and evolve it once it's in the active, it won't deal 120 damage. I think it's due to the fact that the Golisopod GX has to be on the bench, and not it's previous evolution.
This is incorrect as the card was on the bench that turn. It shouldn’t matter whether it has become the active prior to evolution

This is incorrect as the card was on the bench that turn. It shouldn’t matter whether it has become the active prior to evolution
No, NeedleKingSR is correct here. The Pokemon that became the active in this scenario is Wimpod and not Golisopod GX. The check for the card is if Golisopod GX has been on the bench, which it had not because it evolved while in the active position. You have to treat evolved Pokemon separate from their pre-evolutions as all previous statuses are typically cleared including prior field position, status effects and move conditions upon evolving.

Back