RMT Get Shell Shocked

Sleepy

Aspiring Trainer
fCKg9RS.jpg

Hello everyone! After testing some Megas such as Metagross and Kangaskhan, I've decided to try and build a team around a lesser used Mega. Thus, my first VGC competitive team centered around Mega Blastoise was formed! I'm really happy with what I've been able to come up with here and I've had quite of bit of success with it on Showdown! so far, but I was wondering if anyone had any constructive criticism they could offer. Again, I'm completely new to VGC, so any help is greatly appreciated!​

blastoise-mega.gif

Blastoise (M) @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 140 HP / 252 SpA / 116 Spe
Modest Nature
- Water Spout
- Protect
- Aura Sphere
- Ice Beam

The main man of the team, the Shell Shocker himself! What I believe to be a very underrated Mega, Blastoise cleanly deals with a lot that is currently out there, from Salamance with Ice Beam to Kangaskhan with Aura Sphere. Falling into the middle of the speed tiers, he does struggle if Talonflame doesn't set up Tailwind right away, but even then, he is tanky enough to still allow for a strong Water Spout. I rarely ever lead with him, favoring Talonflame + Someone else.

talonflame.gif

Talonflame (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Tailwind
- Brave Bird
- Overheat
- Protect

Another part of the core for the team, Talonflame is essential for the team to get rolling, and as stated above, is he is generally what I lead with. he is often taken out on Turn 1, but thanks to its ability it always gets Tailwind up which helps me sweep with the rest of the team. Fire are great attacks to have right now thanks to several Metal types such as Bisharp and Metagross running rampant, and Flying is always useful to have. I have been debating sacrificing his extra damage from Life Orb to more survivability with Focus Slash.

sylveon.gif

Sylveon (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 92 HP / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock
- Hyper Beam

Sylveon is just a beast of a sweeper; not many Pokemon can stand a fully powered Water Spout + Hyper Voice, even if they resist one of the attacks. On top of this, Sylveon also has decent coverage as well. Unforunately, there are many Fairy checks out there right now, making it difficult for this girl to reach her full potential. On a side note, Hyper Beam is sorta a filler move and any suggestion for a better one would be great!

thundurus.gif

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
Level: 50
EVs: 188 HP / 192 Def / 92 SpD / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Swagger
- Thunderbolt
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

This guy is a response to the million and one Amoonguss that I've seen in my sort time in the video games; if I see an Amoogus on the opposing team, Thundurus is going up with Talonflame most of the time. Thunder Wave is also great speed control if a Pokemon squeaks past my Tailwind speed and Thunderbolt is good for what's out there right now. I've been toying with the fist slot quite a bit, and I still can't say I'm quite happy with it, but it does help deal with Special Attackers ever so slightly.

goodra.gif

Goodra (F) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 92 HP / 164 Def / 188 SpA / 4 SpD / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Thunderbolt
- Protect
- Ice Beam

Goodra is an interesting one on this team. She has really good coverage, is actually quite bulky, and helps to cover Blastoise's grass weakness with her ability (which also helps to protect her from Spore)., however, her Fairy and Ice weakness is a big downfall since those moves are quite common right now. Not much else to say about her, other than that she is often unexpected! :p

heatran.gif

Heatran (M) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Heat Wave
- Protect

While he, like Goodra, has some glaring Weaknesses that make him struggle a bit, I think Heatran rounds out the team rather nicely. Earth Power is very strong against a lot that is out there right now, Flash Cannon can one-shot most Fairies, and the extra Fire damage + spread is always good to have.

Thank you so so much for taking the time to look through my team! It's definitely not perfect, and some Pokemon (namely Goodra) and moves may have to be switched out, but for my first video game team, I'm quite happy! I'm hoping I can become decent enough to maybe play in the GA Regionals in a few weeks (since I don't really have the money for the TCG right now so I'm just waiting for next rotation). Again, any criticism of the team, positive or negative, would be a great help! :D

Welcome to VGC. I do like that you are staying away from the meta with your mega. It takes a lot of courage to try something different and have it work successfully. I'll address your Pokemon one by one.

Blastoise: Are there specific calcs you get with your EV Spread? If not, I'd recommend 252 SAtk / 180 Spe / 78 HP. This puts you at 242 Speed under Tailwind which lets you outpace Choice Scarf Adamant Terrakion and under. The moves themselves are fine.

Talonflame: Use Focus Sash. It is better to be guaranteed the Tailwind than extra damage. Also Give Quick Guard a try over Protect. It'll help if they try and use priority to get around Tailwind.

Sylveon: The EV Spread I am going to suggest instead is 252 SAtk, 220 Spe / 36 HP. This lets you outpace Adamant Landorus-T Choice Scarf whom is a common sight on teams. There aren't many options for a fourth move since you are using Choice Specs. I'd say Moonblast only because it lets you use a fairy move without making it useless against Wide Guard. Hidden Power Ice would be so limited in use simply because resisted Hyper Voice will do more damage on average.

Thundurus: Hidden Power Ice is going to be your best option because then you actually can do something if Landorus or Garchomp hit the field.

Goodra: I just don't see supporting your team enough. As Blastoise is damaged, it becomes weaker. Sylveon is also going to be a prime target. I think using a Pokemon who is capable of redirecting attacks would be a better option. For this I'm going to suggest Clefairy, even though it may sound strange hear me out. Its Hidden Ability is Friend Guard which reduces the damage your other Pokemon takes by 25%. This immediately gives you some extra protection. Since it is also an unevolved Pokemon, it is able to take advantage of Eviolite to make itself very bulky.

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Friend Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
Nature: Sassy (although any defensive nature works. )
- Follow Me
- Helping Hand
- Moonlight
- Icy Wind

You'll want to use Follow Me if you will not be attacking first with your other Pokemon, most notably Sylveon and Mega Blastoise. This makes sure they can do damage while being safe from attacks. It is also beneficial when it is impossible for you to get a KO. Helping Hand will boost the damage your other Pokemon does by 1.5. That could easily turn a 2HKO into a OHKO. Moonlight is if you feel the need to heal. Icy Wind gives you another option for Speed Control. It isn't as likely to be used, but just having it out there can prove useful. Feel free to adjust the EVs as wanted; this just gives you the most stat points based on Eviolite.

Heatran: I'd really like to see you give Air Balloon a try instead of Shuca Berry because the immunity to Earthquake until damaged tends to be better for a Pokemon that is 4x weak to it. You seem to be missing the nature. Based on your team, Modest seems to be the best choice because of having the speed control.

So sorry for my late reply King Arceus, I've been finishing up my last few days of school and just couldn't find the time to reply!

Anyway, thank you so much for the detailed reply! All the effort and time you put into helping really means a lot. In regards to your suggestions:

Blastoise: This was actually the the EV spread similar to the one I have in game, but I was planning on rebreeding it so I can train it right :p

Talonflame: As I thought, having that Focus Slash has been a ton of help. Not only can I get Tailwind up, but Talonflame survives to be at least some help next turn.

Sylveon: I have fixed the EVs and switched out Hyper Beam for Moonblast!

Thundurus: I have used Hidden Power Ice before, but with Goodra and Blastoise having Ice Beam it just felt a little unneed. However, since I have removed Goodra, the Hidden Power Ice is perfect.

Clefairy: I've been toying around with it since the remove of Goodra; it feels off missing the firepower that Goodra brought, but once I get better at utilizing it, I think it's a fantastic change.

Heatran: Yes, Modest was the nature, thanks for pointing that out! And I put Air Balloon in the set, but honestly I haven't been having to use Heatran enough to see it in action.

Again, thank you so much for all the suggestions!

Last edited:
Back