Gengar (SF/PA/LL)

AbsentGravity

Aspiring Trainer
Whoever is making these Gengar cards must seriously like Gengar, because they are making him an extremely annoying pest to people who play against it.

It always seems like Gengar (no matter what set it's from), is always a cheap and mindless win. For example:

Gengar Stormfront: Shadow Room all draw-mechanisms on the bench easily gaining a prize or two with a Crobat Drop or two (kills Uxie LA/Azelf LA/Claydol GE). Poltergeist can just be annoying if you're not really thinking about it and then realize you've screwed yourself over because you forgot to take T/S/S's out of your hand. Then Fainting Spell just pisses everyone off lol. Easily the most "broken" Gengar out of the rest.

Gengar Lv. X Arceus: Level-Down is SOOO annoying when you're playing Lv. Xs (I hate vsing it with LuxChomp). The thing I hate most about this power is that it can be used from the bench. I can't tell you how many times I've anticipated laying down a Power Spray when they use Level-Down until I realize Spiritomb is active (against CurseGar). AHHH. I guess the Lv. X's attack doesn't really work too well unless you're using the CurseGar strategy to spread damage through Curse across the board. Still though, this card can be annoying as well.

Gengar Lost Link: Finally, the newest Gengar addition, I think this card isn't as broken as Gengar SF, but it's still a pest. There is a lot of hype about Lost World and it's first attack (forget the name), but in all honesty, it's limited to the amount of Psychic Energy attached to him and the amount of Pokemon in your hand. So I don't know how it will do, but I don't think it's all that great. Especially since it's second attack really isn't all that effective and can't hit for Weakness.

~In Conclusion, although Gengar can be managed with through careful planning and thinking ahead (unlike Garchomp C), it is still a pest in today's meta. Why is Gengar always the favorite to get great attacks and easy wins without thinking too much about what to do? Seems like the easy way to go 4-2 out of 6 in Swiss without ever play-testing (in my opinion).

Basically... any time you see a Gastly at the start of the game, be prepared to either:

1) Get all Trainers and Supporters out of your hand
2) Try and fetch a few Power Spray's for Level-Down
3) Fetch an Unown G or two quickly if you lay down Uxie/Azelf/Claydol
4) Make sure to limit the amount of Pokemon in your hand
5) Try and find a way around Fainting Spell through careful maneuvers

/end rant

Gengar does take some skill to play specifically Cursegar. Gengar Prime also has a ton of cards that seem to be specifically designed for it, Spiritomb LL, Mr.Mime LL, and to some extent, Hunter, all aid in getting Pokémon into your opponent's hand.

No one plays Gengar in New England though, so it isn't much of a problem. I played it with the release of Platinum, and found that Fainting Spell is more annoying to you than your opponent, but only when you keep flipping tails.

god, I can't believe thay made a lv. x.

"huh, this card is one of the most played things in the format, and its a wonder its nit banned from tournaments. Its totally haxx and almost invincible, lets make a lv. x for it!

gengar17.jpg

They aren't all that good. But yeah, every Gengar ever made is really good. I wouldn't call CurseGar cheap, as I think it takes some skill. That's why I hate GeChamp. "I'mma take the two most obnoxious, cheap cards in the format and abuse them by using them together." Stupid Gengar Fanboys are just BEG Nintendo to print more of them, too.

Well, that one specifically isn't that great. The DP one is a little below-par as well, but I was referring to Stormfront Gengar and the Lv. X specifically when I called it "cheap." I agree that CurseGar takes some skill because you can get stuck in situations where you need to think of what to switch to.

For the most part though, Gengar has been favored extensively compared to other random crap cards that POP comes out with. At least for competitive play.

I think that Gengar prime will be overused. I think it will take a skilled player who can use its strategy by techining in cards designed to end the game quickly with the Lost World stadium. I plan on using it for a bit, and I plan on many people trying it, failing, but manyy variations nonetheless. I like Gengar. I love Gengar. Haxor really.

6-Dimension said:
gengar17.jpg

They aren't all that good. But yeah, every Gengar ever made is really good. I wouldn't call CurseGar cheap, as I think it takes some skill. That's why I hate GeChamp. "I'mma take the two most obnoxious, cheap cards in the format and abuse them by using them together." Stupid Gengar Fanboys are just BEG Nintendo to print more of them, too.

I feel that this 100% directed to me :p Also not to mention CurseGar and the DP one is OK, the only bad one it the Sharpshooting one.
Wiseman not really lost zone will be simple BUH watch me Absol/Palkia/Giratina and win T3

Back